follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicGT86 View Post
The warranty is 100,000 km (62,500 miles) or 3 years.
Yes, it is same in Germany. What oil grade are you using? 0w20 or 5w30?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
NordicGT86

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yes, it is same in Germany. What oil grade are you using? 0w20 or 5w30?
I am using 5W-30. I my opinion the engine works with high oil temperature without oil cooler.

What oil grade are you using?
NordicGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NordicGT86 For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #17
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Yes and no. The oil temperature sensor is not located in the oil pan, but after passing the engine. So it is gives the highest possible temperature. Other manufacturers are placing it in the oil pan and it reads 10-12 C lower. Of course, it doesn't hurt to use a 5w30 oil. I use the same grade. It is better if you run the car harder.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #18
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
And it can't possibly be because they figured out how to make them more efficiently, hell no.
Well that's true, they could've made them more efficiently.
Cool your tail pipes though.. didn't you see my smiley face, I was just being sarcastic. I'm sure that kid in their sweatshop agrees with me too

But America's oil is still "cheaper" quality than the European oil, synthetic or not.
That's the main reason for the discrepancy between the different oil change intervals by the manufacturer... for the same car.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reeves For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #19
NordicGT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yes and no. The oil temperature sensor is not located in the oil pan, but after passing the engine. So it is gives the highest possible temperature. Other manufacturers are placing it in the oil pan and it reads 10-12 C lower. Of course, it doesn't hurt to use a 5w30 oil. I use the same grade. It is better if you run the car harder.
That's true. I had not thought in your point. But, you are absolutely right. You read the manual, all Toyota Cars have thé same oil. 0W-20 the universal solution, from Aygo to GT86, hybrid or gasoline. All of them have the same oil and service program. Doesn't have to much sense. My feeling is you don't drive an Aygo in the same manner that GT86. Maybe just for fuel economy they can use the same oil.

Is 0W20 the adequate viscosity for driving hard a GT86?

Last edited by NordicGT86; 04-13-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #20
reeves

Quote:
I am using 5W-30. I my opinion the engine works with high oil temperature without oil cooler.
5W-30 could mean something totally different in Europe, since they tend to focus on lower viscosity in general. It'd be interesting to compare the 5W-30 oil specs over there to something similar over here.

There's just different standards and goals that Europe & America are trying to achieve.
Here's one article explaining the differences between the oils:

https://www.autoserviceworld.com/car...european-oils/

I'm sure there's other articles on the subject, but that gives you a good idea on why Europe can & does specify longer oil change intervals.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #21
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
tfw manufacturers make oil that meets ILSAC, API & ACEA

tfw viscosity is tested via standard SAE procedure around the world

5W-30 absolutely means the same in the US as it does in Japan or Germany

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
reeves (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #22
reeves

Quote:

By "could mean something totally different" I meant "could be something drastically better". European oil often times go above & beyond the 'minimum' requirements of car makers (and US standards for that matter). They have different additives in their oil to achieve different goals with the cars there.

Could be something, or could be nothing... I think it's something. They've got different standards from the U.S., and that's reflected in car makers' oil change specifications.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #23
86kahl

Drives: whiteout, dark tint
Quote:

I too, wonder about this
86kahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #24
reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86kahl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicGT86
I too, wonder about this
For 75K miles, it has so far for me!

But when you think about it, I don't doubt that the 0W-20 specification is heavily influenced by the complicated (and stupid) mathematical formula of the CAFE regulations requiring car manufacturers to raise the fuel economy of ALL their cars (on average) to 34 mpg.

I know I didn't explain it well, but it's boring.. and like most things in this country (including motor oil 'standards') there's plenty of politics behind it. You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpor...e_fuel_economy

Since Europe doesn't have to deal with the CAFE regulations, and since they have different oil qualities as well, the 5W-30 oil suites them just fine... even in the freezing weather of Sweden, right OP?
Old 04-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #25
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Isn't the viscosity itself that describes a good oil for our engines and so far there aren't big differences in European and USA engine oils and additive packages on them, there are remarkable American oil companies for heavy use say Redline, as European say Motul Fuchs Elf and so on.
Viscosity index, Total base number (longevity/service intervals) and more importantly HTHS (stability on continuous high temp) is what we should search on a good oil no matter if it is 0/20 (ILSAC/fuel economy reasons only) 5/30 (only Mobil1 AFAIK is ILSAC) or higher viscosity!

For heavy street use or track driving an HTHS index less than 3,5 may be detrimental for the engine if we haven't an oil cooler which leads us to an oil of 5W30 and higher viscosity, only repeated UOAs may tell the truth about the oil we use, oil service intervals and driving habits.
Otherwise we should choose a very good >=5W30 oil as the factory oil sensor is in the correct place on the engine block and reads real oil temps not lower than those the oil achieves as other manufacturers do.
So IMHO the answer is NO, 0W20 isn't adequate for heavy street use even in cold climates!
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:18 AM   #26
NordicGT86

Quote:

[/IMG]
The issue with the ACEA classification is that there are a lot of categories. Then, when you go to the oil shop you will find just from one brand and one line product several versions ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, ACEA A5/B5, C1, C2, C2, C3, C4, C5.

At least in European Toyota cars donīt says a single word about ACEA. The manual only refer to the API classification (API SN).

In the picture that you uploaded it is A1/B1, but you have several options. Please give a look just for Castrol Edge

What is the more adequate for your application? (Eco drive/spirit drive/heavy track sessions)

The owner manuals donīt talk about that.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/msdspds/...edmb=No&cols=0

Last edited by NordicGT86; 04-14-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #27
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
For 75K miles, it has so far for me!

But when you think about it, I don't doubt that the 0W-20 specification is heavily influenced by the complicated (and stupid) mathematical formula of the CAFE regulations requiring car manufacturers to raise the fuel economy of ALL their cars (on average) to 34 mpg.

I know I didn't explain it well, but it's boring.. and like most things in this country (including motor oil 'standards') there's plenty of politics behind it. You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpor...e_fuel_economy

Since Europe doesn't have to deal with the CAFE regulations, and since they have different oil qualities as well, the 5W-30 oil suites them just fine... even in the freezing weather of Sweden, right OP?
The engine is a glorified economy car engine. For normal driving it will work great. The more you beat on the car and drive it like an actual sports car, the more you want better high temp protection, ie an oil cooler, thicker oil, and changing the oil more frequently.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #28
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
The warranty is 100,000 km (62,500 miles) or 3 years.
It's 5 years in Belgium , same kilometers though.
Toyota EU headquarters is located in Belgium, that's why we get 2 more years.