follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2018, 02:40 AM   #43
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Sounds like you bought the wrong car.
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

Sounds like he just wants to be part of the whole "car culture" thing, and do it his way. As a proud car owner, he can do as much (ohhh , but wait, even if the car is 100% paid off, you still have to pay registration and insurance .... so no one fully owns their vehicle.... ever). Plus the added cost of what ever FI route you want to go, sir ... keep all costs in perspective, as you take the leap of faith. I believe you will make the right decision(s) in the end.
Alltezza (02-20-2018), olsonpg (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 02:57 AM   #44
Harey

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
If you want a dd that lasts a long time, I would go SC over turbo. A lot less internal stress when you wot. Esp. with high hp and low torque.
Important clarification between centrifugal supercharger or positive displacement supercharger.

pd more low down torque which is great for a street car but harder on the engine. centrifugal (like you have) doesnt make power till later but more gentle on the engine.
Harey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:04 AM   #45
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You guys aren't payen attention ......

The OP wants to go TURBOCHARGED .......

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (02-20-2018), spike021 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #46
Riftur

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I know I come across as anti power but really I am not. There are some things that just need to be understood that I think are frequently overlooked or just plain ignored.

"I think that 300 (too infinity) HP is what it needs" - People do understand that the rated 200HP is not WHP right? The actual HP is somewhere around 170 WHP. To take it to 300 and higher is doubling what it has. People just seem to like to grab the numbers that much heavier cars have. What is wrong with going 200 to 250 WHP? Even 200 WHP is almost a 20% increase. With the light weight of the car taking it anywhere between 200 and 250 will stomp most of the common sports models of production cars out there".
This statement is totally true. I wanted to FI my car until I drove it with e85. It really adds the perfect amount to the car.
Riftur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riftur For This Useful Post:
Harey (02-20-2018), Tcoat (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #47
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
this forum hates boost for some reason.
No, no we don't. What we hate is uninformed people making rash decisions while thinking that they can skip any kind of research and have us spoonfeed them info. In this particular case there were certain criteria listed as required that were best met with different options. Those options were brought up and then rejected with a vehemence that was totally uncalled for. If people only want to hear what supports what they have already decided then why ask for suggestions and input? There is scads of info on here about boosting the cars but the OP appears to have just ignored that. Hell, even if he had posted in the right section of the forum the responses would probably have been different since he would have attracted the attention of those most interested in the topic. Most of the people that replied would have been very helpful if he had come looking for clarification or more info based upon some apparent research but the first post does not indicate any such thing at all.
bkharmony (02-20-2018), BRZ.Omar (03-24-2018), humfrz (02-20-2018), Jordanwolf (02-20-2018), NeverInTime (02-20-2018), spike021 (02-20-2018), ThatAsianBradah (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #48
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
If you've done your research then you wouldn't need to make this post asking for opinions on solid products.

Seems to me like you want us to do your research for you.
This was my impression from the beginning. I also love how after getting some "feedback" his goal for the car has evolved from "280 WHP is my goal" to "The goal is to attempt to build the 86 that my tech friend and I wish Toyota had built."

Hey OP... you should look into a SUPERCHARGER.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #49
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
This thread is a fiesta. OP should learn on his own, but he may never because he couldn't find FI section.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
BRZ.Omar (03-24-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #50
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
No, no we don't. What we hate is uninformed people making rash decisions while thinking that they can skip any kind of research and have us spoonfeed them info. In this particular case there were certain criteria listed as required that were best met with different options. Those options were brought up and then rejected with a vehemence that was totally uncalled for. If people only want to hear what supports what they have already decided then why ask for suggestions and input? There is scads of info on here about boosting the cars but the OP appears to have just ignored that. Hell, even if he had posted in the right section of the forum the responses would probably have been different since he would have attracted the attention of those most interested in the topic. Most of the people that replied would have been very helpful if he had come looking for clarification or more info based upon some apparent research but the first post does not indicate any such thing at all.
I call them askholes.

Here's a kit that I think is perfect for the OP.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #51
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I mean to be fair, @Eckstrey asked for advice on a turbo kit and you all decided to give him advice on a supercharger, then more advice on why he's making the wrong choice. And THEN berated him for flipping his lid when you guys were giving him the advice he was asking for. Which he wasnt.

So to be fair to the OP.

The power goals you seek are very easy to obtain. That can easily be obtained with both SC and Turbo. I had an Edelbrock kit at one point and made 240 whp on a mustang dyno on 91 pump gas.

Here are some of the kits i recommend.

JDL Turbo Kit - 3000$-5000$

Very customizable kit with a huge array of turbo options as well as the option to go UEL. They also offer coating on all the hot parts as well as a no cut crash bar option.

SBD Turbo kit - 3300$

Less customizable but a decently reliable kit as long as you can manage the heat and get all supporting mods. Huge following and userbase. One of my friends has been running his for about a year now making 350 whp on E85.

PTuning Kit - 5000$-7000$

A lot more expensive but a very well designed kit. Uses a bottom mounted turbo design because they had heat in mind. This kit is the one recommended by my mechanic (he's installed over 100 different FI kits). Has the option for both UEL and EL manifolds and also has a ton of turbo options.This is one of those kits that has a TON of headroom and potential even with the base kit. I believe Ptuning themselves are running the base turbo on e85 and making really close to 400 whp. (could be wrong).

These are my suggestions.

If you do decide maybe SC i'll throw these in as well.

Edelbrock Kit - 5000$

Fantastically reliable kit. Decent power just on pump gas and is also CARB legal. Also if you buy new and have it installed by an Edelbrock licensed mechanic, Edelbrock will cover your powertrain warranty. Which means if you blow your motors within the first 3 years or 36000 miles of you owning the car, They will cover it. Cant beat that.

Jackson Racing - unsure on price

Another CARB compliant kit. A lot of track guys run this kit for its stock feel and power band. Not a kit that gives you a kit in the ass down low but will shoot like a rocket anywhere above 5k RPMS. Has been known to have heat issues (a few cracked headers in our group) but its nothing some good heat management cant handle.

Hope this helps.

Dont mind everyone else, they actually do have your best interests in mind even if they dont know how to say it =D.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Brzandt (02-20-2018), olsonpg (02-21-2018), Riftur (02-21-2018), SexyPirates (06-23-2021)
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #52
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckstrey View Post
Ok enough of this dirt throwing. I’ve done my research. I’m asking for opinions on quality packages. I don’t want to debate turbo vs SC. I don’t want to justify why I want what I want. I have tons of experience with both wrenching and driving. A am not 18 years old and I do not live in my daddy’s pool house. Any constructive opinions on a solid product are appreciated other than that please move onto another thread.
Some cheap yet somewhat quality turbo kits are JDL and SBD.

JDL has the benefit of having multiple turbos to choose from based on your goals. A downside to JDL I've heard from locals with the kit is that the thin fans
included in the kit may offer inadequate coolant temps.

SBD is pretty much a Greddy rep kit, but it's reliable. They had some fitment issues in the past, but from what I've seen with the newer kits they're getting a lot better.

One of the best turbo kits out there if money ain't an issue would be Ptuning. It also has the choice of many different turbos and due to the placement of the turbo and routing it has some of the least lag out of all the turbo kits. AVO would be another kit that has very ideal placement and routing to reduce lag.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #53
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,150 Times in 594 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I know I come across as anti power but really I am not. There are some things that just need to be understood that I think are frequently overlooked or just plain ignored.

"I think that 300 (too infinity) HP is what it needs" - People do understand that the rated 200HP is not WHP right? The actual HP is somewhere around 170 WHP. To take it to 300 and higher is doubling what it has. People just seem to like to grab the numbers that much heavier cars have. What is wrong with going 200 to 250 WHP? Even 200 WHP is almost a 20% increase. With the light weight of the car taking it anywhere between 200 and 250 will stomp most of the common sports models of production cars out there. People going extreme FI because others call them "slow", "my buddy has a Corvette that has..." or "I read that..." are not good reasons. You want to go faster? Well you don't need 300 plus to do it. Unless it is a race car those high numbers are just bragging points. Where the hell do you guys do your daily driving where you even get to touch high horse power?

"It is my daily driver and it needs to be reliable" - Sure there are FI cars out there that have stood up fine. So far! You are adding stress to an engine that is not designed to take it and that throws reliability right out the window. The cheaper the set up and the less skilled the installer the greater the risk that something will fail. If that risk is understood and accepted then great but far to many guys new to this do not seem to fully get it.

"I am new to all this so what do I need to do" or "what is the best turbo for the least amount of money" - If you are asking these questions you are not ready to go this far. Why not start simple and work your skills and knowledge up with the car? Going to high HP set ups without knowing what you are doing is increasing the risk by several times. Great if somebody has a buddy that can do the work but what if they move away or get hit by a bus? Are they going to come to your rescue at 3am when your BOV sticks in the middle of nowhere? The impression given is that some people think going FI is a couple of hours bolting on parts and then driving off into the sunset to live happily ever after. What about clutches, axles, wheels, tires, exhaust, oil coolers, and all the other things that need to be considered? The people that know what is what and are the must successful with these projects are not here asking what they need to get. They are getting it.

All I am saying is that people need to think things through and saying "I want turbo and will not listen to other options" is not the best indicator they are ready to go that far. In this particular case the OP has shown several of the indicators he isn't ready including the every popular "Hey you guys do the research for me would you".
agree, tbh i was being a little facetious with my post :p

hey aint my money, wanna encourage as many posters here so we can read more "my engine blew" threads...for reliability & threshold data ofc free entertainment for us
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #54
tyler_win_photo

A benefit of turbo vs sc is that you'll get better mpg with the turbo. I average around 20mpg, while my friend with a sc averages around 16mpg.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #55
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
A benefit of turbo vs sc is that you'll get better mpg with the turbo. I average around 20mpg, while my friend with a sc averages around 16mpg.
That all really depends on the right foot!
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #56
tyler_win_photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
That all really depends on the right foot!
I actually drive my car a lot harder than he does. It's more so that with a SC you're constantly in boost, while with a turbo you need to reach a certain load threshold for boost.

Tags
860, turbo