follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #57
Coachrhino11

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Exactly what ATs are you driving that are fighting you and trying to surge ahead? All the ones I have driven have just needed slight pressure on the brake to hold at a stop. Many need some gas to get them moving at all. I have never once felt I was fighting the car to hold it back.
I’m gonna have to agree here. One thing after watching some videos of others with AT BRZ is the paddles shift immediately unlike many others out there, if true that’s tempting.
Coachrhino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:56 AM   #58
Coachrhino11

Quote:
Can't quote.
The At tranny in these cars is not some off the shelf unit that is used anyplace else. It was designed and built specifically for this car. Contrary to what many of the "MT is life" crowd may think it is not your granny's Corolla transmission!
Interesting reading on the tranny development here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5274
Wow, that was a fantastic morning read that has me really excited about BRZ/86 test driving and eventually ownership.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #59
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Exactly what ATs are you driving that are fighting you and trying to surge ahead? All the ones I have driven have just needed slight pressure on the brake to hold at a stop.
I'm not talking about at a stop. I'm talking about while crawling in slow traffic. I have yet to drive an automatic car where I didn't have to constantly ride the brake to keep it from speeding up to an in-gear idle speed that is faster than the surrounding traffic. I find that much more annoying than having to use my left foot.

Ever walk a dog that wants to lead and won't heel, constantly pulling at the leash? That's an automatic. The dog is walking you.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
venturaII (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #60
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I'm not talking about at a stop. I'm talking about while crawling in slow traffic. I have yet to drive an automatic car where I didn't have to constantly ride the brake to keep it from speeding up to an in-gear idle speed that is faster than the surrounding traffic. I find that much more annoying than having to use my left foot.

Ever walk a dog that wants to lead and won't heel, constantly pulling at the leash? That's an automatic. The dog is walking you.
Meh. still haven't had one try to take off even at a crawl. If it did a light touch of the brake is all that is needed. Not sure that it is really all that difficult.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #61
extrashaky

Quote:
Meh. still haven't had one try to take off even at a crawl. If it did a light touch of the brake is all that is needed. Not sure that it is really all that difficult.
There you go with another straw man. I didn't say it was difficult. I said I find it annoying and feel more in cooperation with the car when I'm not having to hold it back from doing what it wants to do.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #62
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
The traffic strategy is similar. But with a manual, you're always either driving the car or resting. With an automatic in heavy traffic, the car is driving you, and you end up using the brake to hold it back from doing what it really wants to do. To me, working against the car to constantly hold it back is a lot more tedious than working with the car.
Quote:
There you go with another straw man. I didn't say it was difficult. I said I find it annoying and feel more in cooperation with the car when I'm not having to hold it back from doing what it wants to do.
"Working against" most certainly implies a level of difficulty. Word mincing aside your statement that you have to use the brake to hold the car back is taking things to an extreme that simply isn't realistic nor rational. Having your toe on a brake pedal is not exactly "tedious".
Old 02-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #63
Coachrhino11

Quote:
We get it, you don’t like AT, no big deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coachrhino11 For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (02-01-2018), Tcoat (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #64
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Old 02-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #65
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachrhino11 View Post
We get it, you don’t like AT, no big deal.
We could just post:

I like it.

I don't.

I like it.

I don't.

So beyond that just being boring, why might we post something beyond that to explain why we like it or don't?

Every one of us who can drive a manual can also drive an automatic. But not everyone who can drive an auto can drive a manual. Some can, but even among those, many of them aren't good enough at it to really know if they're missing out on something.

Therefore, some of us share our thoughts on why we prefer the manual. Perhaps it will help fill in the gaps for some of the folks who really don't have any idea what they're missing. Others might not be persuaded at all, and that's fine too. If you disagree with something I have written, that's also okay, but I'll likely try to defend it.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #66
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
We could just post:

I like it.

I don't.

I like it.

I don't.

So beyond that just being boring, why might we post something beyond that to explain why we like it or don't?

Every one of us who can drive a manual can also drive an automatic. But not everyone who can drive an auto can drive a manual. Some can, but even among those, many of them aren't good enough at it to really know if they're missing out on something.

Therefore, some of us share our thoughts on why we prefer the manual. Perhaps it will help fill in the gaps for some of the folks who really don't have any idea what they're missing. Others might not be persuaded at all, and that's fine too. If you disagree with something I have written, that's also okay, but I'll likely try to defend it.
Tbh, it's how you come across. You've got a pretty strong personality, at least in text, and can turn off a lot of people from wanting to talk to you.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #67
deejaylew

Drives: AP1 Honda S2000, Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
this is cool I think we are finally going to find out which is better AT or MT.
deejaylew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deejaylew For This Useful Post:
airjonny (02-01-2018), bcj (02-01-2018), Coachrhino11 (02-01-2018), Jordanwolf (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #68
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Tbh, it's how you come across. You've got a pretty strong personality, at least in text, and can turn off a lot of people from wanting to talk to you.
Rest assured I put people off in person as well.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #69
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Rest assured I put people off in person as well.
All leaders must be strong. /flex
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #70
Coachrhino11

Quote:
We could just post:

I like it.

I don't.

I like it.

I don't.

No, you already made your point regarding why you don’t like AT. I disagree about many who can drive manual can’t do it good enough to know what they are missing out on something. My old man could row gears with best of them but was just fine going AT, different strokes man. I know some who say driving stick in shitty traffic is no big deal and I also know some who’ve driven manual for years and have no desire to drive manual is daily heavy traffic. Just because one doesn’t think it’s a big deal, doesn’t mean another person feels same like anything else.

Some like red, some like blue. Who cares. I know one thing, I’m not ashamed to drive AT, especially with advances in engineering. Each to their own. I certainly didn’t come here to stir up heat.