follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #29
Helios

Drives: 2014 Red Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Drop to 32 all around and redrive the same stretch of road that you noticed the behavior and see if it improves.

EDIT: just googled 'Riken Raptor HR' as I wasn't familiar with them...these seem to be a big step down from the OEM tires. You might just be finding out why they're only charging 65 bucks per tire...
Dude, could have gotten the Kuhmo Ecsta PS31 for not much more. Of course they are "ultra high performance summer" tires and I'm sure they wouldn't be very good in NJ winter. Also, I just upgraded to wider wheels and bigger tires. I have a full set of good condition OEM wheels/ tires that I'll eventually put up for sale. Lots of tread life left. I don't even want much for them as much as I just want them out of my garage taking up space.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #30
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Dude, could have gotten the Kuhmo Ecsta PS31 for not much more. Of course they are "ultra high performance summer" tires and I'm sure they wouldn't be very good in NJ winter. Also, I just upgraded to wider wheels and bigger tires. I have a full set of good condition OEM wheels/ tires that I'll eventually put up for sale. Lots of tread life left. I don't even want much for them as much as I just want them out of my garage taking up space.
Yeah, I just got a set of Kumho Ecsta LE Sports for $205.
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #31
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Has millionaire in username, buys super cheap junk tires for a sports car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
OND (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #32
Slammillionaire

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Has millionaire in username, buys super cheap junk tires for a sports car.
Very helpful. Not going to bother explaining the name beyond it's a parody and old inside joke that stuck. Had a hard budget of $300 to my door. Shitty tires or not, I needed something fast to replace my bald stock tires. These won't be on the car for more than a few months so they will serve their purpose as long as I can figure out this issue.
Slammillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slammillionaire For This Useful Post:
bhmax (07-27-2017), stevesnj (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #33
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammillionaire View Post
Very helpful. Not going to bother explaining the name beyond it's a parody and old inside joke that stuck. Had a hard budget of $300 to my door. Shitty tires or not, I needed something fast to replace my bald stock tires. These won't be on the car for more than a few months so they will serve their purpose as long as I can figure out this issue.
I'd take it easy on them and just wait the few months. Drive more cautiously. Be patient .

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Slammillionaire (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #34
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
You should not "be patient" if the tires are causing a pull to one side on acceleration and to the other side off-throttle. Swap rear tires left/right to confirm bad tire, and return them all and get something decent.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Helios (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #35
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
You should not "be patient" if the tires are causing a pull to one side on acceleration and to the other side off-throttle. Swap rear tires left/right to confirm bad tire, and return them all and get something decent.
He apparently doesn't have the funds to do otherwise, they will be fine if he doesn't over do it. For a few months it's easy to wait.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
Old 07-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #36
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
He apparently doesn't have the funds to do otherwise, they will be fine if he doesn't over do it. For a few months it's easy to wait.
If tires are new, he should be able return them for a refund or credit toward another set of tires. From evidence presented it seems to me that at least one tire is DEFECTIVE. No reason to drive on a defective tire or tires for months in unreasonable hopes that it will "fix itself". And at that point you'd likely only be able to get prorated refund on the one defective tire. Or nothing...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #37
stevesnj

Quote:
If tires are new, he should be able return them for a refund or credit toward another set of tires. From evidence presented it seems to me that at least one tire is DEFECTIVE. No reason to drive on a defective tire or tires for months in unreasonable hopes that it will "fix itself". And at that point you'd likely only be able to get prorated refund on the one defective tire. Or nothing...
I agree, I'm just going by what he's stating.

My 2016 Build thread

Old 07-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #38
Silver Supra
Hombre

Drives: 1994 Supra Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I doubt many tire dealers will give anything like a full refund for a set of tires that have been used at all. They can't resell them as new.
However, it is worth a try, and at least get them to replace a tire if one or more are defective. I think they can send those back.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #39
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Semi-old thread, and not season-appropriate in my neck of the woods, but I thought I'd try and save some bread by shopping for badly-needed summer tires while the snow tires were on the FR-S. Came across ridiculously cheap Riken Raptor ZR tires which I'd never heard of but understand they're made by Michelin ..

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=145WR7RZRXL

Searched this forum and found this thread which was about the more sedate HR tire, but couldn't anything else about the ZR other than one thread that was about "fitment," looks, and other stuff I don't care about.

I don't track, I do drive a lot, and enjoy driving the car; I'm not a speeder and on the highway, I get passed way more than I pass, but on back roads and twisties I drive.. ahem.. "spiritedly" I guess.. and I usually catch up to folks with cars that don't handle as well. That's my driving habits... and I average about 15K miles a year.

Looking for a tire that is a good mix of performance on wet and dry roads, longevity, and value. Very rainy here in the summer, so wet grip matters. Any experience with the ZR? Sure would love to find something that cheap that is still a good tire..

Thanks..
Old 12-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #40
Slammillionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Semi-old thread, and not season-appropriate in my neck of the woods, but I thought I'd try and save some bread by shopping for badly-needed summer tires while the snow tires were on the FR-S. Came across ridiculously cheap Riken Raptor ZR tires which I'd never heard of but understand they're made by Michelin ..

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=145WR7RZRXL

Searched this forum and found this thread which was about the more sedate HR tire, but couldn't anything else about the ZR other than one thread that was about "fitment," looks, and other stuff I don't care about.

I don't track, I do drive a lot, and enjoy driving the car; I'm not a speeder and on the highway, I get passed way more than I pass, but on back roads and twisties I drive.. ahem.. "spiritedly" I guess.. and I usually catch up to folks with cars that don't handle as well. That's my driving habits... and I average about 15K miles a year.

Looking for a tire that is a good mix of performance on wet and dry roads, longevity, and value. Very rainy here in the summer, so wet grip matters. Any experience with the ZR? Sure would love to find something that cheap that is still a good tire..

Thanks..
So after letting these tires wear in a little, they aren't anywhere near as bad as they were but honestly I don't think i could recommend this brand on our cars and not feel guilty. Save up some more and get something a bit better and thank me later.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #41
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammillionaire View Post
So after letting these tires wear in a little, they aren't anywhere near as bad as they were but honestly I don't think i could recommend this brand on our cars and not feel guilty. Save up some more and get something a bit better and thank me later.
Skimmed this thread. A few things that I didn't see clearly mentioned:

1. Going from bald tires to new tires will ALWAYS result in more "swaying," as you called it. Nearly bald tires have no tread. This is bad for many things, but good for "responsiveness." When you replace them, you now have a tire with a lot of tread. That tread can deform and squirm. New tires will always, therefore, feel squishier and a bit mushier than your old tires, as they ARE squishier and mushier. That's why some people who buy tires for competition have the tread shaved. They can afford to replace tires more frequently, so they shave off half of the tread so the tire is more responsive.

2. You went from stock size (215/45) to a larger size (225/45). That second number is a PERCENTAGE of the first number, not an outright measurement. That means you bought a tire with a taller sidewall, which means more flex, which means mushier handling (more sway, as you called it.)

Both of those things can, on their own, add up to a significant increase in sway. Couple that with things people here HAVE already mentioned (that you bought shitty tires) and it all adds up. I don't understand why people put shitty tires on ANY cars. It doesn't matter what car you have. At the end of the day, you only have a few square inches of rubber touching the pavement. If that rubber is crap, the car, be it a Toyota Corolla, or a Ferrari 488 GTB, will handle like crap.

Just say no to cheap tires.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #42
Slammillionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Skimmed this thread. A few things that I didn't see clearly mentioned:

1. Going from bald tires to new tires will ALWAYS result in more "swaying," as you called it. Nearly bald tires have no tread. This is bad for many things, but good for "responsiveness." When you replace them, you now have a tire with a lot of tread. That tread can deform and squirm. New tires will always, therefore, feel squishier and a bit mushier than your old tires, as they ARE squishier and mushier. That's why some people who buy tires for competition have the tread shaved. They can afford to replace tires more frequently, so they shave off half of the tread so the tire is more responsive.

2. You went from stock size (215/45) to a larger size (225/45). That second number is a PERCENTAGE of the first number, not an outright measurement. That means you bought a tire with a taller sidewall, which means more flex, which means mushier handling (more sway, as you called it.)

Both of those things can, on their own, add up to a significant increase in sway. Couple that with things people here HAVE already mentioned (that you bought shitty tires) and it all adds up. I don't understand why people put shitty tires on ANY cars. It doesn't matter what car you have. At the end of the day, you only have a few square inches of rubber touching the pavement. If that rubber is crap, the car, be it a Toyota Corolla, or a Ferrari 488 GTB, will handle like crap.

Just say no to cheap tires.
Yeah sometimes you gotta learn the hard way, you are absolutely correct in your analysis. My decision was based out of desperation, i needed new tires right then and only had a certain amount I was able to spend. This summer when I put some MPSS's on maybe my car will forgive me
The Following User Says Thank You to Slammillionaire For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (12-11-2017)