follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #309
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
I am looking to upgrade pads on my BRZ for the first time. I did two track days on the oem ones that had about 16000 miles on them and they feel like crap now. I'm looking for something well balanced for street/track. I've read a few pages on here and it sounds like people are pretty happy with the PMU HC+800's, Ferodo DS2500's, and Carbotech XP10's. Out of those three it seems like the Ferodo's may be a good choice for street/track. Tbh I didn't really have a problem with the stock pads other than them not lasting very long. The setup on the car is mild, coilovers, headers, 245/40/17 Direzza ZII's, etc. Mainly looking to upgrade fronts but open to changing rears too. What do you guys think?
I was in the same dilemma and decided on WinMax W2's and bled the system with better brake fluid. The brakes are amazing on and off the track. You will get more dust on the wheels and squeak when they are cold. Other then that you won't be disappointed.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #310
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,252 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Using one pad compound, regardless of what it is, for both street and track is a compromise. There are many characteristics of a street pad that don't work well on the track and vice versa. Anyone that regularly spends time on a track will tell you this.
The DS2500 is one of my favorite pads. It's fantastic. But it is not nearly as good on a track as a pad designed specifically to work in that environment.
I'm selling because I recently acquired an AP Sprint kit. I have no need for pads that fit OEM calipers. I don't know if this is appealing to you, but you're welcome to demo them sometime before buying. No cost to you. I'll do the labor if you're not comfortable with it. It takes 20 minutes. No big deal.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #311
slava

Drives: brZed
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Using one pad compound, regardless of what it is, for both street and track is a compromise. There are many characteristics of a street pad that don't work well on the track and vice versa. Anyone that regularly spends time on a track will tell you this.
The DS2500 is one of my favorite pads. It's fantastic. But it is not nearly as good on a track as a pad designed specifically to work in that environment.
I'm selling because I recently acquired an AP Sprint kit. I have no need for pads that fit OEM calipers. I don't know if this is appealing to you, but you're welcome to demo them sometime before buying. No cost to you. I'll do the labor if you're not comfortable with it. It takes 20 minutes. No big deal.
Thanks but I went ahead and ordered the ds2500's. If they're good street pads and a little better than oem pads on the track then ill be happy. I appreciate the offer though.

Last edited by slava; 01-12-2017 at 12:21 AM.
slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #312
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
DTC-60s are real track pads. Bite like dogs.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #313
Pat

Thanked 1,252 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
Thanks but I went ahead and ordered the ds2500's. If they're good street pads and a little better than oem pads on the track than ill be happy. I appreciate the offer though.
Based on your priorities I think you'll be happy with them.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:32 PM   #314
Calvin27

Drives: GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have opinions of ds2500s vs pmu hc 800? My PMUs are about half way through and they have been good but I guess always looking for better. The temp range is fine, but I'm keen to get rid of the squealing on the street.

My 2c

[B]Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Project Mu
Caliper (F/R): HC800
[B]Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): OEM
[B]Compound (F/R): No idea. HC800 whatever is in that :P
[B]Tires: Plastic tyres, Toyo Proxes t1 sport

[B]Feedback: Good no issues on 15 minute time attacks.

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 8 (but I have euro spec brakes on my other car so a little biased here)
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 6
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 8
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 8
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 3
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): 7
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? Whatt?? I'll go check now!
Brake ducts: N
Calvin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #315
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin27 View Post
Anyone have opinions of ds2500s vs pmu hc 800? My PMUs are about half way through and they have been good but I guess always looking for better. The temp range is fine, but I'm keen to get rid of the squealing on the street.

My 2c

[B]Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Project Mu
Caliper (F/R): HC800
[B]Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): OEM
[B]Compound (F/R): No idea. HC800 whatever is in that :P
[B]Tires: Plastic tyres, Toyo Proxes t1 sport

[B]Feedback: Good no issues on 15 minute time attacks.

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 8 (but I have euro spec brakes on my other car so a little biased here)
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 6
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 3
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): 7
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? Whatt?? I'll go check now!
Brake ducts: N
A hybrid brake pad is designed for its intended purpose. Let us know how we can assist you in your brake needs.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #316
ZeHeadBanger
Stuck like Glue

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I’m looking for some advice/tips/suggestions here and would like to hear your thoughts on this.

I’m looking on some feedback on my brakes and how they have started to feel in the past few weeks. I’m currently running a stock vehicle with upgraded tires (RE-71R), brake pads (PMU HC800+) and brake fluid (RBF 600) and I take it to the track a few times every year. I was happy with the PMU pads but have started to lose confidence in them as I feel significant fade after 10-12 mins on the track. Now, this is where I’m a little confused – am I feeling a brake fade (glazed pads) or boiling my fluid?
- Brakes start to feel mushy around that 10-12 min mark. They don’t go down all the way to the floor but the initial bite is gone and I tend to brake a little early.
- During every day driving, I need to push my brake pedal just a little bit extra I feel to get the bite for the vehicle to start slowing down.

Do you guys think it’s because of glazed pads, or boiled fluid (I bled my fluid before my first and only track day this year) or are my rotors being eaten slowly hence increasing the amount of distance the pistons in the calipers need to travel to initiate contact with the rotors? I’m also looking to change pads for a better feedback and as of this point wouldn’t mind changing out pads just for the track days.

Any recommendations for pads apart from Carbotech XP12? (those are high on my list right now but I would like to consider more options). Should I think about changing rotors (no cracks, passes fingernail test, have 66k miles on the car)? I’m planning on installing PMU G-Four fluid and see if that improves performance and reduces, if present, the risk of boiling fluid.

Last edited by ZeHeadBanger; 06-12-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: To remove a sentence
ZeHeadBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #317
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeHeadBanger View Post
are my rotors being eaten slowly hence increasing the amount of distance the pistons in the calipers need to travel to initiate contact with the rotors?
Im not an expert of any kind on the subject but I can tell you this is not how braking works. When you release the brakes, the piston does not retract on its own, its the friction between pad and rotor that pushes the piston away. Once they are not touching (or barely touching so not enough friction), the piston stops retracting. The amount of missing material on the rotor and pads should not increase the pedal travel. There are exceptions, like uneven wear on rotors can push pads a bit further away, but nothing major to the extend of what you are feeling.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #318
csuzuki

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Hey guys,

I just did my first track day on Monday, I installed project mu hc800 just in the front prior to the event. Everything worked great, but I went to check the pads today, and noticed one of the pads had separated from the backing. I'm just wonder is it still good to use? I have installed oem pads for the time being.

Thanks
Craig
csuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #319
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Depends on what you mean by "backing", if you are talking about the part of the pad between the friction material and the steel backing plate then you shouldn't use the pads anymore. However, if you are talking about the metal shim then you are fine to keep using them (it's just to prevent noise).

14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #320
csuzuki

Drives: 2016 BRZ
That answers my question, the friction material separated from the steel plate.

Thanks
csuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #321
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
[B]Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): G-Loc
Caliper (F/R): STi Brembo/oem
[B]Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): STi front/larger vented rear
[B]Compound (F/R): R10 compound
[B]Tires: BFG Goodrich G-Force Rivals

[B]Feedback: Really need to get these to warm up to get good braking in. Other than that stayed pretty predictable and brake pedal felt strong throughout.

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 7 or 8. imo, Hawk HP+ dusts more
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 4
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 2 doesn't really squeak or squeal
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): not sure yet, lasted me all three days of gridlife, so 12 20 minute sessions so far and I still have more than half the pad left.
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? Not that I can tell. I don't believe so
Brake ducts: Y
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (05-01-2024)
Old 07-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #322
OND

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I realized when driving back from the track today that my rear right brake pads (Carbotech XP10) were squeaking constantly while cruising on the highway. A tap on the brakes silenced them for a while, but it intermittently came and went. I am used to noise under braking, but this continuous squeaking issue is a first for me.

Do you think I should worry about pistons seizing up or do you think this is expected?

Thanks
OND is offline   Reply With Quote