follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #43
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,765 Times in 935 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
DANG! If that bearing in the center is allowing the driveshaft to move up/down 1"-2", I wouldn't drive the car at all ..... if it snaps the universal joint, it could "pole vault" your car right off the road.

Are you sure the bearing is bolted down tight .... ??

Come back.

Edit ..... I see ol Tcoat was on the case ......

humfrz
Sorry to be "that guy"... and I will add the disclaimer that I would not drive a car with such a serious safety issue; however:

The urban legend of the dripped drive shaft pole vaulting a car has been pretty thoroughly debunked, and there was even a "Myth Busters" episode on this.

A dropped driveshaft can cause all sorts of damage and put you at serious risk of bodily harm... but pole vaulting the car is not a real concern.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #44
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty 6 View Post
In this "region" thats pretty much it, you cant give them an excuse to void your warranty. Not much u can do about it if they do, other than lengthy, expensive lawsuits etc and the outcome is not gauranteed. They dont want me to touch it I wont
And what "region" is that?

Outside the US I assume.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Sorry to be "that guy"... and I will add the disclaimer that I would not drive a car with such a serious safety issue; however:

The urban legend of the dripped drive shaft pole vaulting a car has been pretty thoroughly debunked, and there was even a "Myth Busters" episode on this.

A dropped driveshaft can cause all sorts of damage and put you at serious risk of bodily harm... but pole vaulting the car is not a real concern.
I pole vaulted a 1975 Dodge Power wagon truck and know for a fact it can and does happen. On a nice smooth hard paved road maybe not but get it on something uneven or soft and you can go for a ride.
I do agree though the bigger concern is it spinning and flopping around. It will take out a floor in seconds if it does (had that happen as well. I was hard on drive shafts for a while)
Old 10-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #46
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post

Outside the US I assume.
UAE. The actual country has varied depending on who he said he was at that time.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #47
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Oh, I reckon I was being a bit over dramatic to make my point ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #48
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I pole vaulted a 1975 Dodge Power wagon truck and know for a fact it can and does happen.
T, you cant just say that then leave us to our imaginations. Flanders pole vaulting a '75 dodge sounds gif worthy.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #49
Eighty 6

Drives: Gt86
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post

Outside the US I assume.
Outside the U.S., how does the warranty work there? If u work on the car yourself for example with the incorrect procedures/tools u don't void the warranty? I can see their point of view as to why they're so strict about it. Here u don't have dealer approved anything, u have only the dealer
Eighty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #50
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
T, you cant just say that then leave us to our imaginations. Flanders pole vaulting a '75 dodge sounds gif worthy.
I reckon ol Tcoat is trying not to think about it that hard ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #51
Eighty 6

Drives: Gt86
Quote:
UAE. The actual country has varied depending on who he said he was at that time.
Hey Tcoat I told u I was zik it ain't no secret. I was also GTX
Eighty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eighty 6 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #52
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty 6 View Post
Outside the U.S., how does the warranty work there? If u work on the car yourself for example with the incorrect procedures/tools u don't void the warranty? I can see their point of view as to why they're so strict about it. Here u don't have dealer approved anything, u have only the dealer

Of course that would void the warranty. Most policies around here are if they can attribute your modification to the part in question, then you void your warranty.

Example: getting a cat-back exhaust and then your control arm breaks. You don't void warranty.

Getting suspension upgrades and your control arm breaks, they might say it's your fault and will void warranty.

At least that's how it works around these parts (Utah)
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
Eighty 6 (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #53
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
It was 30 years ago. I didn't have the Super 8 camera running at the time. There was a day when shit happened and all you had was the story.
cdrazic93 (10-03-2016), Ultramaroon (10-03-2016), venturaII (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #54
nextcar

Quote:
I pole vaulted a 1975 Dodge Power wagon truck and know for a fact it can and does happen. On a nice smooth hard paved road maybe not but get it on something uneven or soft and you can go for a ride.
I do agree though the bigger concern is it spinning and flopping around. It will take out a floor in seconds if it does (had that happen as well. I was hard on drive shafts for a while)
A true "pole vault" launching the back of the vehicle several feet into the air?

The myth buster segment even attempted with the front end of the drive shaft dropping into a pothole and the driveshaft essentially accordion'ed and wrapped around the rear axle... A very violent bump but no multi foot air.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Edit:
Here is a link to the video of a car dropping the driveshaft into a pothole at 100 MPH:

Last edited by nextcar; 10-03-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Link for lazy people
Old 10-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #55
Tcoat

Quote:
A true "pole vault" launching the back of the vehicle several feet into the air?

The myth buster segment even attempted with the front end of the drive shaft dropping into a pothole and the driveshaft essentially accordion'ed and wrapped around the rear axle... A very violent bump but no multi foot air.

Inquiring minds want to know...
Well probably was about a foot or two but felt like went into orbit. There was nobody with a high speed camera and measuring pole to get an accurate reading.
They also did not try it with an unloaded pickup truck, built to military specs, ripping through a field at 50 mph. I loved the show but many of their "busted" myths worked on such a strict requirement that they said no way to some without considering all the possible variables. If I recall my wife told me to stop yelling at the TV when they did that one.
why? (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #56
nextcar

Quote:
Well probably was about a foot or two but felt like went into orbit. There was nobody with a high speed camera and measuring pole to get an accurate reading.
They also did not try it with an unloaded pickup truck, built to military specs, ripping through a field at 50 mph. I loved the show but many of their "busted" myths worked on such a strict requirement that they said no way to some without considering all the possible variables. If I recall my wife told me to stop yelling at the TV when they did that one.
No doubt it would be a "pants changing" event if you were not expecting it! If I were totally honest though I have caught more air off an unexpected bump in the road during spirited driving... Aaaah youth.