follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #15
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Word Racing, a kart dealer, says this in regards to kart safety:
"Driver Safety Equipment: Most organizations require full (abrasion resistant) driving suits (or at the very least long pants and long sleeves), shoes that cover the ankles, abrasion resistant gloves (we recommend leather motorcycle road racing gloves), neck protection, and a full face helmet that meets the latest safety standards. Rib protecters are not always mandatory, but should be - don't drive without one. Chest protection is also required for Junior drivers, and recommended for adults. Above all, drive smart and stay focused. "

Sounds like a motorcycle getup.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #16
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
This is like comparing autocross to NASCAR Trucks to F1, so many different levels and ways to approach them.

HPDE however imo are simple beasts; they are casual events where you should check your ego at the door and go to have fun first and foremost. After you get a feel for it and get comfortable, get some good instructors to teach you how to not be an idiot and then not be a slow idiot and maybe eventually move up to a group that will do some time trials stuff and that's pretty much the extent of what you're able to do with a street going vehicle.

Karting, well, there's the place down the street that's a step or two above carnival bumper cars, maybe they have a competitive series and track points and lap records and that's well and good, with some good friends it'll be well worth the $50-$100 a night you blow.

But competitive karting, that's an entirely different animal, I wouldn't even bother putting it in the same category as HPDE. I haven't done it so I won't make any bullshit up, but from racing as a kid and trying to do competitive autocross, this stuff takes commitment and it isn't cheap. Competitive karting is more comparative to actually doing a competitive series in something like a Spec Miata or Chump Car, the costs will mount quick enough if you want to win that you'll question your sanity.

Maybe you can figure out a local track and just run it for fun, spend enough money to not be a rolling chicane and go home satisfied, I don't know, it's all down to your temperment, desire, and commitment. I'd say HPDE is lower cost in the long run, you can stay on street tires and keep the car mostly stock, meanwhile in karting you'll be buying multiple sets of tires per year, banging parts up and buying replacements and spending much more time tinkering. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

Nothing is stopping you from checking out both. A couple hundred bucks on a track day and a trip to the local kart track are not decisions that will be set in stone, most people are wired in a way where one will appeal to them more than the other. And honestly there's many many people who try tracking or karting once and never consider doing it again.

Do at least one track day in the 86 though, the car is ready for it.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25485

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Karts are light enough you could tow one with an HF trailer behind the BRZ.
There was a local guy who towed his Formula Ford with a WRX, tried to find a picture but found a Miata towing a Kart instead:

Relevant thread: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...t=56818&page=2
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
drewbot (06-08-2016), wparsons (06-08-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #17
86_Freak

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I do both, I auto-x and HPDE my FR-S and I wheel-to-wheel race my shifter kart. If I had to choose, I would drop the FR-S in a heart beat and only race my kart. It is the greatest feeling in the world going 100 mph in a group of karts and braking for the first corner and dicing with everyone else. I did get in an accident last year and ended up flipping and the kart landing on top of me, but not a single regret ever came into my mind after the accident (well, maybe regretting following the rookie so close.....)

But, as others said, if you don't have the means, then obviously its not possible. But if you have the means to race a kart (tow vehicle, trailer, mechanically inclined (it takes a lot to work on a kart), and $$$$), I would say 100% go that direction. I never regret racing my kart and I can see myself doing it for many years to come.
86_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86_Freak For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 01:31 AM   #18
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Karts are a great way to die, like motorcycles. So, so much more dangerous. Plus you can't legally drive your kart on the street, but you can drive your legally modded car.
When was a last time that you know of someone dying in a kart?

Pffffff
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:38 AM   #19
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_Freak View Post
I do both, I auto-x and HPDE my FR-S and I wheel-to-wheel race my shifter kart. If I had to choose, I would drop the FR-S in a heart beat and only race my kart. It is the greatest feeling in the world going 100 mph in a group of karts and braking for the first corner and dicing with everyone else. I did get in an accident last year and ended up flipping and the kart landing on top of me, but not a single regret ever came into my mind after the accident (well, maybe regretting following the rookie so close.....)

But, as others said, if you don't have the means, then obviously its not possible. But if you have the means to race a kart (tow vehicle, trailer, mechanically inclined (it takes a lot to work on a kart), and $$$$), I would say 100% go that direction. I never regret racing my kart and I can see myself doing it for many years to come.
So what were your injuries, how fast were you going, and what protective gear were you wearing?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #20
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Word Racing, a kart dealer, says this in regards to kart safety:
"Driver Safety Equipment: Most organizations require full (abrasion resistant) driving suits (or at the very least long pants and long sleeves), shoes that cover the ankles, abrasion resistant gloves (we recommend leather motorcycle road racing gloves), neck protection, and a full face helmet that meets the latest safety standards. Rib protecters are not always mandatory, but should be - don't drive without one. Chest protection is also required for Junior drivers, and recommended for adults. Above all, drive smart and stay focused. "

Sounds like a motorcycle getup.
Hey, guess what. I was wearing basically all the same gear to drive my buddies caged race car with a fire bottle 6 weeks ago.

Quote:
So what were your injuries, how fast were you going, and what protective gear were you wearing?

We get it. You're scared of karts and think they are instant death. Now quit clogging up OPs thread with your nonsense.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
D K (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #21
86_Freak

Quote:
I went to the ER, got checked out and had no injuries. I was going ~40 mph. I had a sore neck for about a week. I had my helmet, driving suit, gloves, driving shoes, and a foam neck collar.

Here is a video of the accident (it's at the end, obviously):

Old 06-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #22
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I went to the ER, got checked out and had no injuries. I was going ~40 mph. I had a sore neck for about a week. I had my helmet, driving suit, gloves, driving shoes, and a foam neck collar.

Damn! You guys really battle it out, out there. The drag race at 1:07 put a huge smile on my face. Good thing you didn't get any closer to that ledge when you flipped.

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #23
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
Damn! You guys really battle it out, out there. The drag race at 1:07 put a huge smile on my face. Good thing you didn't get any closer to that ledge when you flipped.
Odds are you'll get more kickass racing action at a big regional kart event than whatever is on TV that weekend.

Some of my favorite racing is in this video, Jenson Button, Dan Wheldon, Anthony Davidson, and Justin Wilson at 9 years old:

Dropping down the hole of watching old Kart races with now famous names is more entertaining than your average F1 race I'd wager.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
LOLS2K (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #24
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:

Scary. Glad you're fine.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #25
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tracking your daily can be a bad idea. What happends when you have part failure, wreck, blow a motor, go off roading and bend a control arm, etc.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #26
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I got rear ended at the SKUSA supernationals a few years ago into turn one which lunged me into the kart ahead of me.

My kart got airborne, I landed on the rocks and just the instant when I started feeling pain, my kart landed on top of me.

Couple of cracked ribs, a bruised lung but I was ok.

This was the height of north american shifter kart racing at the time. I survived.

Any kind of regional club racing, you probably wont see super aggressive driving like this.

Wear your safety gear.
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #27
86_Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
I got rear ended at the SKUSA supernationals a few years ago into turn one which lunged me into the kart ahead of me.

My kart got airborne, I landed on the rocks and just the instant when I started feeling pain, my kart landed on top of me.

Couple of cracked ribs, a bruised lung but I was ok.

This was the height of north american shifter kart racing at the time. I survived.

Any kind of regional club racing, you probably wont see super aggressive driving like this.

Wear your safety gear.
Supernats is a little different animal than what I race in. Supernats is more sprint racing and the races are shorter, which means people are more aggressive in passing people. I go to "enduro" races where our races are for 30 minutes on a larger track, and thus, people are typically less aggressive and there is more room. I do share the track with sprint racers every once in a while and they are noticeably more aggressive.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #28
86_Freak

I was watching some of my karting videos and found this one that has some good back and forth racing in the beginning. You'll see I get punted from behind around 6:20 mark. Then when I finally catch back up to the group, someone spins right in front of me at 8:40 and I lose the group again.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRjqGULPrSs"]2015 KART MARRS - Shifter 125CC - Saturday Nationals at Hallett - YouTube[/ame]