follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
xsnapshot
Fast enough

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
AT fluid change when going FI?

I recently went FI. I love it. However I do worry about the longevity of the automatic transmission (currently at 26k miles on the car). Which brings me to my question....

Just how important is a fluid change? I keep hearing/seeing people say "get a quality synthetic fluid!" "Buy this brand or that brand!". Where's the proof though? I'm not going to buy an expensive fluid just because the internet "thinks" it's going to make my transmission handle power better. These recommendations remind of those who think if you aren't running say, fancy Amsoil oil, you are handing your car a death sentence.

What kind of fluid is the stock fluid? Is it not a synthetic?

I don't track my car, and am not doing back to back to back pulls and driving like a maniac on the street. I'm not overly concerned with heat buildup.

However, if running a different type of ATF, or changing it more often, will help my clutch packs in my auto last longer, then I am certainly open to that. I just want more evidence than Joe's buddy who has a friend that is a certified tech that says you have to do this or that, etc.

Thanks for any advice.
xsnapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,926 Times in 16,469 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Well, I don't have an AT nor is my car boosted.

However, if I did, and the maintenance schedule called for a change at 60,000 miles, I would be tempted to change the fluid every 40,000 miles.

No, I have no data ...... just a gut feeling ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The number 1 killer of automatic transmissions (and fluid) is heat, not power. The best thing you can do to extend the life of an Automatic is keep the fluid temperature down. My car is a manual, so I can't speak on the temperatures that the auto transmissions run at, but I suspect they run on the warm side. If the aftermarket synthetics can withstand a higher temperature without starting to break down, then that alone makes them a better fluid and worth switching to. If my car was an auto though, the first thing I would do in the interest of longevity is add an auxiliary cooler.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
You'll be fine as long as you keep to the mantaince schedule.
Us manual folk have the extra option to play around with fancy oils. You could put in fancy atf but then again.....it's an auto.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:38 PM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
I recently went FI. I love it. However I do worry about the longevity of the automatic transmission (currently at 26k miles on the car). Which brings me to my question....

Just how important is a fluid change? I keep hearing/seeing people say "get a quality synthetic fluid!" "Buy this brand or that brand!". Where's the proof though? I'm not going to buy an expensive fluid just because the internet "thinks" it's going to make my transmission handle power better. These recommendations remind of those who think if you aren't running say, fancy Amsoil oil, you are handing your car a death sentence.

What kind of fluid is the stock fluid? Is it not a synthetic?

I don't track my car, and am not doing back to back to back pulls and driving like a maniac on the street. I'm not overly concerned with heat buildup.

However, if running a different type of ATF, or changing it more often, will help my clutch packs in my auto last longer, then I am certainly open to that. I just want more evidence than Joe's buddy who has a friend that is a certified tech that says you have to do this or that, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

If you're FI there are two coolers you should get regardless an oil cooler and for the auto an ATF cooler. The stock atf cooler uses coolant and is therefore also an atf warmer it transfer heat from the coolant to the atf and at higher temps does a cooling effect. The aftermarket stuff directly cools the ATF fluid itself with it's own radiator and in stark performances case it's own thermostatic fan, when you get the cooler installed your ATF fluid will be flushed and replaced anyway and should last much longer.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
xsnapshot
Fast enough

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll just plan on changing fluids a little early. I don't drive hard enough to need a transmission cooler at this point. I'll definitely get one should I start to track it or drive more aggressively on the street.

Still doing research on the topic though.
xsnapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xsnapshot For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
Votlon

Drives: Scion FRS || Ducati 899
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Honestly from what i've gathered on the forums the autos seem to be bulletproof compared to the manuals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Votlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #8
ApolloSki
Stealth

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll just plan on changing fluids a little early. I don't drive hard enough to need a transmission cooler at this point. I'll definitely get one should I start to track it or drive more aggressively on the street.

Still doing research on the topic though.
I would just change it earlier which is what I plan on doing. Ive been FI for 10k miles (I'm at 28.5k now) and I plan on changing it around 35-40k.