follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Low Coolant level @ 20k? Help..

Hey Guys i tried to search for this issue but could not find what i was looking for. Short story is that i installed a CAI yesterday and i now that the sound tube and airbox was removed the engine bay is more cleaner and easier to see. I noticed that my coolant level is very low (I'm not sure how it was prior the install) .

From what i research the coolant level is low when engine is cold, but after the engine warms up the coolant level on the coolant container should go up.

I drove the car for about 30 mins, basically drove the car hard to really warm it up, but the coolant level is still very low, should i be concern? Maybe i should take it to the dealer?

Please advise. Thanks

Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Amir Ghadiri

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This is real common. Just put some coolant in there and make sure it's still there in a few days
Amir Ghadiri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amir Ghadiri For This Useful Post:
Jfheisenberg (05-01-2016), Teseo (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This was happening to me. I ended up bleeding the system and it been fine ever since.
TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #4
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Ghadiri View Post
This is real common. Just put some coolant in there and make sure it's still there in a few days
i think its kind of weird that need to add coolant, only has 20k...
Old 05-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruRace View Post
This was happening to me. I ended up bleeding the system and it been fine ever since.
How much of coolant did you add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfheisenberg View Post
Old 05-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Amir Ghadiri

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I agree, just speaking from experience here. I've worked on ~40 of these cars with under 20k and many more over, a good majority being low on coolant. Even my own was low at under 10k.
Amir Ghadiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,640 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Make sure you buy Subaru super coolant. Add an undiluted amount to bring it up a bit, until it reaches the high mark after being fully warmed. Don't dilute or mix other types of coolant. If not contaminated this stuff lasts up to 100000 miles.
The issue of low coolant is super common, might be badly burped after factory fill or possibly evaporation as there is a small hole in the coolant reservoir.
Dealer will add labor plus parts cost, waste of time and money.

If you keep the car long enough you might need to eventually add more. The jug isn't cheap, but will last many years.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
Norville Rogers
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey Guys i tried to search for this issue but could not find what i was looking for. Short story is that i installed a CAI yesterday and i now that the sound tube and airbox was removed the engine bay is more cleaner and easier to see. I noticed that my coolant level is very low (I'm not sure how it was prior the install) .

From what i research the coolant level is low when engine is cold, but after the engine warms up the coolant level on the coolant container should go up.

I drove the car for about 30 mins, basically drove the car hard to really warm it up, but the coolant level is still very low, should i be concern? Maybe i should take it to the dealer?

Please advise. Thanks

Why not top it up and see how it goes? Give it another check before another 20k just to be on the safe side
Norville Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey Guys i tried to search for this issue but could not find what i was looking for. Please advise. Thanks
Yep, a certain amount of water in the coolant mixture may evaporate over time. Always has been that way ...... most likely always will be that way.

I'd suggest you just add some distilled water to bring up the level.

No need to add the blue stuff (in NJ) ....... unless it gets further diluted.

After filling, check it after a few days, to see if the level stabilizes.

If it doesn't check for a leak.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
Jfheisenberg

Thanks for all the responses guys, but I'm getting mixed answers/solutions (just like before i started this thread)

Is there a correct way to fix this?

1)Fill up coolant with OEM subaru coolant fluid

or

2) Use water and fill it up.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
_gt86_user
Inactive

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Buy some Subaru blue coolant and top off as needed (when cold should be at half way mark, when warmed up FULLY should be full) hope this helps. Same thing with your oil it's gonna look really low when cold but warm up the car fully then shut off wait 5min then check levels they should rise/expand to normal levels if not you're low or something is wrong.

I top off a TINY bit every 2weeks or so when I see the level drop a bit. No issues here.
_gt86_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys, but I'm getting mixed answers/solutions (just like before i started this thread)

Is there a correct way to fix this?

1)Fill up coolant with OEM subaru coolant fluid

or

2) Use water and fill it up.

Thanks
no need to spend $20+ on the OEM fluid when you can buy distilled water for like $2 and you won't even use the whole bottle. and if you don't fill it up with coolant, ONLY use distilled water. though, if you are going to bleed the whole system then that's when you buy the OEM coolant. no need to buy it just to fill in like 1 pint

there really isn't a "fix" for this since this isn't a real problem. just top it off and you're good to go. there's no need to over think it unless you are actually leaking coolant and have air in the system, which at that point you will notice your car over heating at the very least.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #13
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gt86_user View Post
Buy some Subaru blue coolant and top off as needed (when cold should be at half way mark, when warmed up FULLY should be full) hope this helps. Same thing with your oil it's gonna look really low when cold but warm up the car fully then shut off wait 5min then check levels they should rise/expand to normal levels if not you're low or something is wrong.

I top off a TINY bit every 2weeks or so when I see the level drop a bit. No issues here.
Thanks but i feel like if you need to add coolant every two weeks, then something most be really wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jfheisenberg For This Useful Post:
theneptune86 (04-04-2022)
Old 05-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #14
_gt86_user
Inactive

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks but i feel like if you need to add coolant every two weeks, then something most be really wrong.
I'm not really losing coolant it's just dissipating in the reservoir, boxer engines like to go through coolant it's just a normal thing, don't expect to go to the dealer and tell them to fix the problem that isn't there. When I say a tiny bit I'm talking millimeters in my reservoir after the car has been driven hard or fully warmed up from a long drive, if you don't see higher temps or drive very conservatively and are losing coolant then yes something is wrong. Just trying to save you the headache is all, all I'm really saying is you should be checking your fluids more often than you think, this car isn't a corolla or civic or anything and I promise you will find posts like this in all Subaru forums .

Also to put it in perspective I've owned the car for 2 years and am on the same jug of coolant I bought the first time barely a dent so I doubt anything is wrong with my car but something MIGHT be with yours might want to look into it.
_gt86_user is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _gt86_user For This Useful Post:
Busybee (05-27-2020), Jfheisenberg (05-01-2016)