follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #337
rapinger

Drives: bronz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
Has anybody seen Blackstone produced any negative report for BRZ? If I have to use one sentence to summarize the results, my choice would be:

Any 0w20 works just fine!

LOL
Funny, I read through the thread, and was about to ask which oil is the go to oil for most people, but your right. seems like pretty much anything works.
rapinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #338
bluesubie

Drives: 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
Has anybody seen Blackstone produced any negative report for BRZ? If I have to use one sentence to summarize the results, my choice would be:

Any 0w20 works just fine!

LOL
There was quite a bit of backlash against Blackstone on nasioc when an Amsoil dealer was bad mouthing them there. The new DIT WRX's are having very high fuel dilution and Blackstone's method for fuel dilution extrapolates the fuel reading based on the flashpoint and they do not actually test the oil for fuel. The Amsoil guy got a little out of hand and the President of Blackstone started posting.

My problem with them is that they will see a WRX uoa with apparent high fuel dilution, the viscosity is a 20 grade from contamination and/or shearing, and they will advise someone to go an additional 2,000 miles on that oil because the "uoa wear numbers are normal", even if it is beyond the interval that Subaru recomends. This article warns against reading too much into one or two random uoa's and using uoa's to compare oil in general.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis/

Having said that, the twins do seem to tolerate well on most oils in street conditions. Thank God you guys have the Toyota DI system!
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #339
Xiao Li

Drives: '14 BRZ, '01 S2K
Just wanted to add my analysis:

This is from my 2nd oil change. First change was done by Subaru dealership.
After that I switched to Castrol Edge 0w-20. Stock car, no modifications, OEM filter.
So just to be clear:
factory fill ►► dealer fill(1st) ►► Castrol Edge(2nd)

Future posts will be of analyses of same oil on JRSC(CARB tune) and other weights that I'll be playing around with from Castrol.

Last edited by Xiao Li; 08-11-2015 at 08:23 PM. Reason: details details details.
Xiao Li is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xiao Li For This Useful Post:
R L Newb (08-13-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #340
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Adding another. Iron levels finally down. I can worry less now!

kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
R L Newb (11-25-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #341
Xiao Li

Drives: '14 BRZ, '01 S2K
Here's another: 4th change, 0w-30 Euro Castrol, supercharged. (forgot to sample on the 3rd change)
Xiao Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #342
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Here are my oil reports. I've been using OEM 0W20 and plan to continue doing so.

C4RBON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #343
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #344
Blorb

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This was on Toyota 0w20, 6620 miles on the oil, 32720 miles on the engine.

After seeing that Blackstone might be under estimating fuel dilution, I decided to try the Amsoil analysis service. Costs about the same, and they had a faster turnaround.

The reports are very similar, I think "Base Number" is TBN, no idea what oxidation and nitration mean.

One thing I found out afterwards is that they don't do a real fuel dilution test unless the oil has thinned out enough that it no longer meets its stated grade. In my case the viscosity was 7.2 which is within range for a 0w20, so they didn't do the real test (that's what "<1 - estimate" means).

Overall, not sure which service I prefer. If I had a car with fuel dilution problems I would probably stick with the Amsoil service to hopefully get real numbers, but since I've never seen a stock toyobaru with bad fuel dilution it probably doesn't matter for us.
Attached Images

Blorb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blorb For This Useful Post:
MinesWave (05-14-2016), viscositosis.rex (01-17-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #345
bluesubie

Oil Analysis - 1st oil change

Blorb - OAI includes TBN while Blackstone charges you an additional $10 so you do get more bang for your buck. For more info on oxidation and nitration, check out this pdf:

(page 11)
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2047.pdf
Oxidation measures the breakdown of the lubricant due to age and operating conditions. Nitration occurs when nitrogen oxides react with the lubricant, causing deposit formation and an increase in viscosity. Note that oxidation and nitration readings do not begin at zero.

OAI will do a fuel reading by gas chromatography if you request it but I don't think it's needed on a stock 86 with the excellent multipoint injection. It would be more useful on an aftermarket tune to see if you're running rich. OTOH, a WRX OAI uoa typically shows ~2.5 -~5.5% fuel dilution.

Last edited by bluesubie; 01-16-2016 at 12:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluesubie For This Useful Post:
Blorb (01-19-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #346
travisb

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Speaking of fuel... This is my first report since adding openflash UEL header. I've had the openflash tablet and tune for about a year. Thoughts on this?
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #347
bluesubie

Need more comments on your driving conditions. Do you make a lot of short trips? Did you bring the engine up to normal operating temp. before taking the sample? If no and yes, the fuel is likely just the result of the tune running a little rich for safety.

Are e-tunes or any type of professional tune offered for the OpenFlash? You're probably fine with the OTS tune, but a protune will probably dial back some of the fuel. You could also bump up the viscosity and just run oil from Wal-Mart and change it more frequently. A GF-5 5W-30 (OTS Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol, etc.) will shear to a 20 grade anyway (also will be a 20 grade from fuel contamination) so the oil will not be that much thicker.

If you stick with Amsoil, I would go with OE or XL since SS is really for extended intervals.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:07 PM   #348
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Speaking of fuel... This is my first report since adding openflash UEL header. I've had the openflash tablet and tune for about a year. Thoughts on this?
I thinks it's fine it's a marginable, if by the next one it increases then it's an issue and time to datalog and see what you're afr is like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Need more comments on your driving conditions. Do you make a lot of short trips? Did you bring the engine up to normal operating temp. before taking the sample? If no and yes, the fuel is likely just the result of the tune running a little rich for safety.

Are e-tunes or any type of professional tune offered for the OpenFlash? You're probably fine with the OTS tune, but a protune will probably dial back some of the fuel. You could also bump up the viscosity and just run oil from Wal-Mart and change it more frequently. A GF-5 5W-30 (OTS Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol, etc.) will shear to a 20 grade anyway (also will be a 20 grade from fuel contamination) so the oil will not be that much thicker.

If you stick with Amsoil, I would go with OE or XL since SS is really for extended intervals.
e-tunes are available its just they can only dial it in so much for what I assume is a mostly stock car with only a UEL stage 2 tune
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #349
travisb

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I thinks it's fine it's a marginable, if by the next one it increases then it's an issue and time to datalog and see what you're afr is like.
The car is basically stock other than the tune and header. The vast majority of my driving is 30 minute commute to and from work. This sample was taken after about a 20 minute drive.

One of the o2 sensors in the header keeps coming loose and vibrates. It does not come off because it would have to twist the wires to get off. It only turns about 1/2 a turn but it is enough that I can hear it vibrating at certain rpm.

I am guessing that could be throwing the reading off and causing the system to run richer.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #350
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
The car is basically stock other than the tune and header. The vast majority of my driving is 30 minute commute to and from work. This sample was taken after about a 20 minute drive.

One of the o2 sensors in the header keeps coming loose and vibrates. It does not come off because it would have to twist the wires to get off. It only turns about 1/2 a turn but it is enough that I can hear it vibrating at certain rpm.

I am guessing that could be throwing the reading off and causing the system to run richer.

Datalogging would be your best bet
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote