follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #757
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
I felt this same thing. It seemed to vary rather substantially based on weather.

I felt that way with the v1 but not later iterations or with the procede.

Also logging with an actual boost gauge shows me that things have remained consistent.

I think our butt dynos are not always as consistent as we think.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-06-2016), raven1231 (04-06-2016), stevo585 (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #758
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
But you're in San Diego where it's always "relatively" cold. I lived there in the Navy so I know. Yeah, every now and then you'll have a Santa Ana but if you want to experience hellish heat and humidity, then come on down. Anytime between May and September will be fine.
There is a very large difference in power between say 50 degrees and 95. But the car still has a lot more power with the ESC than without.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
stevo585 (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #759
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
But you're in San Diego where it's always "relatively" cold. I lived there in the Navy so I know. Yeah, every now and then you'll have a Santa Ana but if you want to experience hellish heat and humidity, then come on down. Anytime between May and September will be fine.

There is a very large difference in power between say 50 degrees and 95. But the car still has a lot more power with the ESC than without.

Haha that's true.

Btw- I have some information regarding the big cranks. (Personal experiences) we might have some maintenance to do with them.

Will post later as soon as I'm done.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 04-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #760
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Well, if you are ready to move on to a conventional SC or Turbo setup...and you want to sell your ESC system. Let me know.

And, yes i am being serious. I would love to have a newer system on my BRZ, and let my buddy FI his Miata on my older ESC system.
I actually have a first year kit. It's used. Unlike most I run a custom Ecutek street tune with both 93 and 2x e85 maps saved in the ecu. Otherwise my setup is in my sig. I do have a stock catback and overpipe to keep it quiet. My tuner did recommend I get a catback but I doubt it will do much of anything noticeable.
brzaapi (04-07-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #761
stevo585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
I felt that way with the v1 but not later iterations or with the procede.

Also logging with an actual boost gauge shows me that things have remained consistent.

I think our butt dynos are not always as consistent as we think.
I do have a V1 but with latest and brand new big cranks. Only difference is the lighter compressor right? Is that worth upgrading too? You remember I did run a 13.8 @ 101 on e85. That was in 45-55F weather at night. Which if you do a et calculator using that trap and 2950 lbs. It says 234hp.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #762
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo585 View Post
I do have a V1 but with latest and brand new big cranks. Only difference is the lighter compressor right? Is that worth upgrading too? You remember I did run a 13.8 @ 101 on e85. That was in 45-55F weather at night. Which if you do a et calculator using that trap and 2950 lbs. It says 234hp.

I wouldn't recommend the upgrade currently especially if you are using the big cranks. I would recommend the procede if you didn't snag that. I like the pre-spooling of the procede and how it can warm up the batteries for us.

I am currently trying to find out if we need to do maintenance on our batteries. I'm testing a few things still... I wanted to report some findings today but I have some inconclusive evidence. I'll try hopefully tomorrow.

Installed Mods:
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
stevo585 (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 02:33 AM   #763
shaynek

Drives: BRZ Limited; GR86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm debating on getting the big crank batteries. what's the usual boost you get on your runs. I can't seem to get more that 3- 3.5psi max and i'm thinking it's the batteries. I have v1.5
shaynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #764
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Garage
Quote:
I actually have a first year kit. It's used. Unlike most I run a custom Ecutek street tune with both 93 and 2x e85 maps saved in the ecu. Otherwise my setup is in my sig. I do have a stock catback and overpipe to keep it quiet. My tuner did recommend I get a catback but I doubt it will do much of anything noticeable.

Well, I may still be interested. I ran OFT on my last ESC BRZ. But currently I am also running Ecutek with DT flex fuel and ACE Header.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #765
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I had a HUGE scare today. I was about 100 miles from home and noticed my car didn't have it's usual kick ass power. When I stepped on the gas the meter seemed to work properly. I just had no power. So I turned the ESC off and floored it. It felt about the same. So I floored it again and turned on the ESC with the petal still to the floor. No difference! OH CRAAAAP. So I turned it off and drove home thinking what a slug this car is without it.
Well, yesterday I just happened to disconnect the big power cable to check the voltage, so that's a good place to start. Checked that out. Nope everything's fine. So I turned on the ESC and the key and engaged the switch (no Procede) and listened. It sounded like the compressor was bound up. OH shit! So I'm thinking, maybe (hopefully) the air filter got sucked into it or something. Otherwise I'll have to go without the ESC for at least 2 weeks while it goes to fukn Canada and back. That's gonna suck BAD.
So before I pull the compressor off I figured I should check ALL the wiring. Checked the three cables going to the motor and ONE WAS DISCONNECTED. You would not believe how happy that made me to see that!
I reconnected it and taped the inline connectors together and went for a test drive. Unbelievable... It was like the very first time.

I love my ESC. I would get rid of the car if I couldn't have it.
Either that or get a turbo and blow it up!
Just as a FYI, you should never floor the car wtih the ESC off and then turn the ESC on while still WOT.

It is very very hard on the system and can damage the controller.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
WNDSRFR (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #766
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Thanks for the info. I guess I was lucky one of the wires was disconnected.

I won't do it again.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #767
FingR-S
I got sucked into boost..

Drives: Whiteout FR-S & Supercharged BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone here compared driving the phantom to a Jackson,vortech, kraftwerks, etc.. ?
Your impressions ?
I tried to search for any comparisons - couldn't find it. I know someone somewhere has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #768
stevo585

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynek View Post
I'm debating on getting the big crank batteries. what's the usual boost you get on your runs. I can't seem to get more that 3- 3.5psi max and i'm thinking it's the batteries. I have v1.5
Wow sounds low. Its always over 4 psi. My min-max was .28 to .33 bar (4.1-4.8 psi) according to ecutek logging the MAP sensor during the 2 hour street tuning. Otherwise I dont monitor boost I have no gauge yet.

Probably is your batteries, be my first guess anyways. Altitude has an effect too. I'm only 75 ft above sea level.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #769
stevo585

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Well, I may still be interested. I ran OFT on my last ESC BRZ. But currently I am also running Ecutek with DT flex fuel and ACE Header.
No.. its not for sale ...sorry maybe in a year. Not sure I want to put 5k+ into this car that ill never get back.
brzaapi (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #770
stevo585

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingR-S View Post
Has anyone here compared driving the phantom to a Jackson,vortech, kraftwerks, etc.. ?
Your impressions ?
I tried to search for any comparisons - couldn't find it. I know someone somewhere has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess would be the ESC would get the jump for a few seconds as the centrifugal gets to high rpm. Then just pulls away...

A positive placement would likely instantly just pull away from what I hear about the edelbrock/Harrop from my tuner.

He said during tuning that the ESC felt alot like a normal boost sprintex. Note he has tuned over 600 different twins.