follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
itsAlex

Drives: 2016 4Runner / 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
My experience with my new 2016 FR-S

So I just got my FR-S this past Saturday and for the past three days I've been driving the car non-stop, I'm ecstatic about owning this car! I just wanted to share my experience of what a new MT FR-S feels like as I already feel like this car makes me a better driver already lol:

Upon receiving the car on Saturday morning, a Toyota rep gave me a quick tour of the car and gave me tips for operating the MT. The first thing he told me was that the clutch engagement point is higher than normal and the shift throws are somewhat short, compared to your average MT car. As I was about to pull put of the parking lot with the Toyota rep, I made the car jerk very viciously in first gear, and also in second gear. Even though the rep told me the engagement point was high, I didn't think it was that high.

Anyway, here I am three days later and I think I pretty much got the clutch pedal down in terms of smooth shifting. However, I find that no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get the car to roll from a stop in first gear as smooth as I'd like. I also can't get the first to second gear shift as smooth as the 2-3 shift and every other gear shift afterward. I find that I need to roll off the clutch much, much longer in first and second gear in order not to upset the car.

I believe I still need to practice and get it as smooth as possible before I do something like readjusting the clutch pedal height, but regardless of my shifting woes, I'm already in love with this car and the way it feels and drives. I haven't revved it up high yet as I only put about 400km on the car so far, I was going to wait till at least 1500km.

Last night I decided to fill it with fuel and I put in Pioneer 91 octane, as they didn't have 93. Come to think of it, I don't know what kind of gas the dealer put in for me when I picked the car up, and they didn't mention to me anything about using premium fuel, but I guess it's good that I already had this knowledge. I reset my average fuel consumption monitor and I'll be monitoring this tank.

Overall, my experience has been stellar. I can't wait for summer to get here in Southern Ontario!

bcj (03-08-2016), dnieves (03-10-2016), D_Thissen (03-08-2016), Hot-Lava_Dave (03-10-2016), humfrz (03-08-2016), S84kam (05-06-2016), Savagez88 (03-08-2016), SC10N (03-08-2016), soulreapersteve (03-08-2016), stevesnj (03-08-2016), Tcoat (03-08-2016), YXEBears (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The clutch thing gets easier with break in / experience. Congrats on the new car.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
It gets a lot smoother once you spend $15K on mods LOL
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
86kahl (05-05-2016), COO86L (03-12-2016), DAEMANO (03-09-2016), frznBRZ (03-08-2016), funwheeldrive (03-08-2016), kch (03-08-2016), Savagez88 (03-08-2016), YukiHachiRoku (05-05-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Congrats on the car. Shifting the manual gets easier with time and practice. It seems to shift better if you don't baby your shifting and gas. I usually give it plenty of gas and let the clutch out quickly.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I've had mine a couple years now. First to second is still jerky
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
What dealer? Next time I am in the area I would like to pop in and shake their hand! A sales guy giving good, sound advice on the car needs to be thanked.
86geek (03-08-2016), roddy (03-08-2016), Savagez88 (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
c4lvinnn

Drives: Toyobaruion
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
Congrats on the car. Shifting the manual gets easier with time and practice. It seems to shift better if you don't baby your shifting and gas. I usually give it plenty of gas and let the clutch out quickly.
in any manual car I drive, before I even pull out of the spot/driveway/whatever, I always test engagement point by the "rocking" back and forth method with just clutch movement. it trains you pretty quickly for the car you're about to drive
c4lvinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
ricotheraccoon

Drives: 14' Firestorm Monogram
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Congrats dude!!

I just got mine a month ago and I felt all the same ways. It's my first MT car and after a month of driving / doing the clutch adjustment, I think I'm doing pretty well.

Except when I'm jammin out with the music loud and I stall at a stop light

-___-
ricotheraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricotheraccoon For This Useful Post:
Savagez88 (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
What dealer? Next time I am in the area I would like to pop in and shake their hand! A sales guy giving good, sound advice on the car needs to be thanked.
I was thinking the same thing. A good sales rep who actually knew what he was talking about.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
Savagez88 (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #10
itsAlex

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
This. I've picked up on this recently as I experimented with shifting at higher rpms, the car seems to shift smoother at higher rpms & quicker clutch release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
I was thinking the same thing. A good sales rep who actually knew what he was talking about.
I bought the car at Attrell Toyota, in Brampton Auto Mall! It's about a 5 minute drive from my house. Almost every car brand dealership is in Brampton Auto Mall, you name it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricotheraccoon View Post
Congrats dude!!

I just got mine a month ago and I felt all the same ways. It's my first MT car and after a month of driving / doing the clutch adjustment, I think I'm doing pretty well.

Except when I'm jammin out with the music loud and I stall at a stop light

-___-
This happened to me today lol, I was at a stop light jammin' out and I stalled when the light turned green
Old 03-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #11
Sonicp9

Drives: 2016 Raven FR-S
Congrats on the new car! I hope you are enjoying this black tail happy beast as much as I am. I picked up my 16 back in November I happen to also be in the Toronto area. I am going to say Winter tires are a must, I got Michelin XI3's and starting from stop on an incline in that winter storm last week still did not happen. You will not move at all in snow with the Michelin primacy's the car comes with (trust me... made that mistake in Dec. lol).

I notice the exact same thing with shifting, it is sometimes difficult to make it always feel smooth. I come from a Jetta which had a very light clutch compared to the FRS. I have also noticed tho that the harder you drive, the smoother the shifting feels. In my car I notice that the shifter moves a bit back and forth in first gear, but not in any others. Was wondering if yours is similar.

In terms of gas I have actually been using Esso 93 fuel. I have noticed the fuel economy to be a bit worse on 91, but still experimenting. I also had a couple difficult starts from cold, coincidentally when the car was on 91 so not sure if that is a link. I actually filled with 91 costco fuel today so will see how that goes. Also let me know how your fuel economy is. My average likes to be around 8.8l/100km.

Also wondering if you notice any smells from the car? I randomly get burning odors from my vents fill the cabin, and am hoping it is still from "breaking in" though I have 13600 km on the car. One of the smells (similar to burning rubber) seems to be coming from under the hood, possibly transmission area. Not sure if worth taking to the dealer.
Sonicp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:58 PM   #12
YXEBears
bearded god

Drives: 2016 Silverado (bye bye BRZ)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hahaha I completely understand, have had my BRZ almost two weeks now, the clutch has gotten a lot more smooth now! if everything isn't warmed right up shifting first and second up or down sucks but hasn't been horrid, will have to see what next winter here in Saskatoon brings, -40 might be fun!
congrats on the new whip, and yes rocking out makes starting off way trickier since you can't hear the engine
YXEBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:44 AM   #13
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Welcome to the club.
Clutch adjustment here
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
itsAlex (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 12:54 AM   #14
itsAlex

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicp9 View Post
I notice the exact same thing with shifting, it is sometimes difficult to make it always feel smooth. I come from a Jetta which had a very light clutch compared to the FRS. I have also noticed tho that the harder you drive, the smoother the shifting feels. In my car I notice that the shifter moves a bit back and forth in first gear, but not in any others. Was wondering if yours is similar.

In terms of gas I have actually been using Esso 93 fuel. I have noticed the fuel economy to be a bit worse on 91, but still experimenting. I also had a couple difficult starts from cold, coincidentally when the car was on 91 so not sure if that is a link. I actually filled with 91 costco fuel today so will see how that goes. Also let me know how your fuel economy is. My average likes to be around 8.8l/100km.

Also wondering if you notice any smells from the car? I randomly get burning odors from my vents fill the cabin, and am hoping it is still from "breaking in" though I have 13600 km on the car. One of the smells (similar to burning rubber) seems to be coming from under the hood, possibly transmission area. Not sure if worth taking to the dealer.
I haven't noticed any play with the shifter in 1st gear, then again I'm afraid to touch it while it's engaged lol, haven't grinded any gears yet and I don't wanna start now

I too was going to fill up with 93 gas but the station I was at only had 91, so I'm using that for the time being. From what I heard, Shell V Power 91 gas has no ethanol which should give similar fuel economy and performance of 93 gas with ~10% ethanol. I don't know whether I should be concerned if I'm using 91 or 93, as the manual says it's okay to use 91 although you lose some power.

I only have 500km on my car so far, and I haven't had any smell from the vents. I cycled through the heat and A/C to make sure they were working and everything was well. The only smell I had in the beginning was the clutch, when I was still getting used to it I rode it a few times aha

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXEBears View Post
hahaha I completely understand, have had my BRZ almost two weeks now, the clutch has gotten a lot more smooth now! if everything isn't warmed right up shifting first and second up or down sucks but hasn't been horrid, will have to see what next winter here in Saskatoon brings, -40 might be fun!
congrats on the new whip, and yes rocking out makes starting off way trickier since you can't hear the engine
I plan on putting subs in this car so that'll probably make it even trickier in the near future, oh well