follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #351
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
What direction are you headed now shutter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure! Unfortunately I'm trying to figure out if I'm gonna keep the car or not, but some of the stuff on it needed to go!

I know the first time I try and merge/pass/not be slow I'll be sad haha since the ESC is gone
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #352
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Batteries in hand, the ESC kit shipped today! Can't wait!

So while I'm eagerly awaiting arrival I started thinking about future complimentary/synergistic upgrades to go with the Phantom.

Please do jump in with your thoughts and experiences.

1. Crawford Billet Power Blocks
Nope. Sadly I already got this upgrade before buying the ESC and come to find out there's very little to no performance gain to having this upgrade with the ESC, and actually can be a detriment.

2. UL or UEL Headers?
Can anyone clarify on this? I've read that some of the recently released UEL headers, like the OFH, gives good power on the low end and even get rid of the torque dip. But that's on their own, how do headers fare when combined with the ESC?

3. Short Shifter
ESC = faster RPM ramp-up IN the gear, so a shorter shift throw THROUGH the gears seems like a great partnership.

4. Aluminum Pulleys?
Anyone have experience with this in concert with FI in general, or with the ESC specifically? It seems like it would be a beneficial upgrade with the ESC?

5. Cold-Air Intake?
I know because of the size and shape of the ESC, there's not a lot of room or choices for 3rd party Intakes. Is it worth even trying to figure out a 3rd party solution vs. uses the OEM with a good filter?

That's what I can think of for now.
Thanks.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #353
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
Batteries in hand, the ESC kit shipped today! Can't wait!

So while I'm eagerly awaiting arrival I started thinking about future complimentary/synergistic upgrades to go with the Phantom.

Please do jump in with your thoughts and experiences.

1. Crawford Billet Power Blocks
Nope. Sadly I already got this upgrade before buying the ESC and come to find out there's very little to no performance gain to having this upgrade with the ESC, and actually can be a detriment.

2. UL or UEL Headers?
Can anyone clarify on this? I've read that some of the recently released UEL headers, like the OFH, gives good power on the low end and even get rid of the torque dip. But that's on their own, how do headers fare when combined with the ESC?

3. Short Shifter
ESC = faster RPM ramp-up IN the gear, so a shorter shift throw THROUGH the gears seems like a great partnership.

4. Aluminum Pulleys?
Anyone have experience with this in concert with FI in general, or with the ESC specifically? It seems like it would be a beneficial upgrade with the ESC?

5. Cold-Air Intake?
I know because of the size and shape of the ESC, there's not a lot of room or choices for 3rd party Intakes. Is it worth even trying to figure out a 3rd party solution vs. uses the OEM with a good filter?

That's what I can think of for now.
Thanks.

1) sell them get some money.

2) can add power not a bad investment

3) I love my shifter wouldn't change it for a short shifter ever. I did upgrade to the mtec springs though.

4) wouldn't touch Em.

5) I installed mishimotos cold air intake as it was the only one with air straighteners. No issues yet. And I like it more too.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
Namuna (08-27-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #354
BRZ-y

Drives: Brz limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Hey guys, I finally have time this afternoon to install the v1.0 esc I picked up from @Shutter earlier this week. I am running stock headers and its the v1 dump pack. What tune should I be running with it? The only tune I can find from the open flash website is v2.02

I'm planning to upgrade the dump pack and go to the Procede. Looks like I'll be getting a UEL to keep current and get the most out of this thing.
BRZ-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #355
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ-y View Post
Hey guys, I finally have time this afternoon to install the v1.0 esc I picked up from @Shutter earlier this week. I am running stock headers and its the v1 dump pack. What tune should I be running with it? The only tune I can find from the open flash website is v2.02

I'm planning to upgrade the dump pack and go to the Procede. Looks like I'll be getting a UEL to keep current and get the most out of this thing.

Is it the v1 dump? Or the 1.5 dump? Also snag the esc tune from the open flash site.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 08-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #356
BRZ-y

Drives: Brz limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Esc 1.0 what tune?

Quote:
Is it the v1 dump? Or the 1.5 dump? Also snag the esc tune from the open flash site.

site.

It's the v1 dump pack and the only esc tune I can find on the site is v2.02 which requires v1.5 dump pack and uncatted headers.....

http://www.openflashtablet.com/Autom...FRS/downloads/
BRZ-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #357
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ-y View Post
site.

It's the v1 dump pack and the only esc tune I can find on the site is v2.02 which requires v1.5 dump pack and uncatted headers.....

http://www.openflashtablet.com/Autom...FRS/downloads/
@Shutter what tune were you running?

I would recommend snagging the etx batteries then. I believe you could use the existing wiring that's on the v1 for the etx batteries fairly easily.

Installed Mods:
BRZ-y (09-01-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #358
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
@Shutter what tune were you running?

I would recommend snagging the etx batteries then. I believe you could use the existing wiring that's on the v1 for the etx batteries fairly easily.

v2.01 (ESC 1.5dump+ofh USDM only)
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
BRZ-y (09-01-2015), Sojhinn (08-29-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #359
Namuna

Just wanted to share my 1st (and 2nd) impressions on my initial runs after installing the ESC.

1st Impression:
After install and taking her out for the first time, I have to say I was highly disappointed! After all the waiting and money spent and hours doing the install and tune...I didn't feel ANY difference in power vs what I had before! Stomping the gas in the lower gears (any gears really) wasn't doing anything different than before (particular 1st and 2nd gears and getting into 3rd, the infamous torque dip). I was noticing strange readings on the volt box (28.9v peak, the number not really going down by much at all during hard accelerations and especially the voltage going up to 31.0v and then going back to 28.9v).

Feeling bummed that I might've gotten a dud ESC or worse it was working fine and the gains were so minute I couldn't feel it, I wrote up an email to Rob with the details and his response was it sounded like something wasn't properly plugged in and that I should check the connections.

I pop the hood and low and behold I missed the biggest damned thing...I didn't connect the big connector from the dump pack to the controller!

2nd Impression:
With the power now properly connected, the next startup and the voltbox now reads 28.4v. I take her out again and as I get into 2nd gear I put the foot down and this time instead of the usual hard rev of the engine but no particular pull... The car hard revs and then immediately JOLTS/BUCKS and I let out an auditory "HOLY SHIT" and have a grin from ear-to-ear as I experience for the first time this new power band the car now has.

Awwwwwww yeah!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #360
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Just wanted to share my 1st (and 2nd) impressions on my initial runs after installing the ESC.

2nd Impression:
With the power now properly connected, the next startup and the voltbox now reads 28.4v. I take her out again and as I get into 2nd gear I put the foot down and this time instead of the usual hard rev of the engine but no particular pull... The car hard revs and then immediately JOLTS/BUCKS and I let out an auditory "HOLY SHIT" and have a grin from ear-to-ear as I experience for the first time this new power band the car now has.

Awwwwwww yeah!
Glad you've gotten it setup and can enjoy the fun. Don't forget to update the owners configuration spreadsheet in the first post. Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Hic/edit#gid=0
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #361
Namuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Glad you've gotten it setup and can enjoy the fun. Don't forget to update the owners configuration spreadsheet in the first post. Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Hic/edit#gid=0
Did that yesterday!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #362
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Did that yesterday!
Welcome to the party!
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Namuna (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #363
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Should I update my config now, or later once I get it Dyno'd?
Old 09-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #364
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post
Should I update my config now, or later once I get it Dyno'd?

Do it now and later.

Installed Mods:
LucidMomentum (09-02-2015)