follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #113
uEih
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 458
Thanks: 162
Thanked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
I'd give them a ring anyway and don't mention where you got it unless they ask. I assume they'd be willing to replace it as long as you send yours back to them.

Is oil coming out from the nozzle of the valve, or from around the washer where it seals with the oil pan?

Also, did you tighten the valve body itself with a crescent wrench, or that little hex head with a socket? The former is the proper way. If you did the latter, then you may have broken the Loctite on the threads inside, which could allow oil to seep through.
I should mention my valve doesn't position itself in the slot of the lock position. I don't know how different the other valves are but it seems like it's suppose to lock itself in that little slot when it's closed but I could simply turn mine and it'll open and close, I don't need to push up then turn in order to open it.

I tightened the whole thing with a wrench, I didn't use any sort of hex in the socket at all so that can't be the issue.

I checked where the oil is coming from when I didn't tighten it tight enough and used a paper towel to wipe it from near the washer/oil pan and the oil came from there. Now after thinking it's tight enough and still leaking I tried wiping from the oil pan/washer and I couldn't get any oil on the towel. Which tells me it might be leaking from the valve opening itself, especially with how the opening/closing mechanism doesn't go into the locked slot/position.

If you look at the picture I included in this post, where it shows the "locked" position, mine doesn't go into that slot. Instead it stays right above it and never technically locks. Now that I think of it, that could be the reason why and I will talk to them.

uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #114
chas3wba0
Senior Member
 
chas3wba0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Yes
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,053
Thanks: 1,630
Thanked 813 Times in 407 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uEih View Post
I should mention my valve doesn't position itself in the slot of the lock position. I don't know how different the other valves are but it seems like it's suppose to lock itself in that little slot when it's closed but I could simply turn mine and it'll open and close, I don't need to push up then turn in order to open it.

I tightened the whole thing with a wrench, I didn't use any sort of hex in the socket at all so that can't be the issue.

I checked where the oil is coming from when I didn't tighten it tight enough and used a paper towel to wipe it from near the washer/oil pan and the oil came from there. Now after thinking it's tight enough and still leaking I tried wiping from the oil pan/washer and I couldn't get any oil on the towel. Which tells me it might be leaking from the valve opening itself, especially with how the opening/closing mechanism doesn't go into the locked slot/position.

If you look at the picture I included in this post, where it shows the "locked" position, mine doesn't go into that slot. Instead it stays right above it and never technically locks. Now that I think of it, that could be the reason why and I will talk to them.

Yup, I'm thinking the spring isn't working to keep the lever down in the locked position, so road vibrations are causing it to open ever-so-slightly. They should definitely replace that for you
__________________
"If thy pleaſure be in Underſteere, thou art Weird." - Distraxi
chas3wba0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #115
uEih
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 458
Thanks: 162
Thanked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
Yup, I'm thinking the spring isn't working to keep the lever down in the locked position, so road vibrations are causing it to open ever-so-slightly. They should definitely replace that for you
Just sent them an email, thanks for your input. It sounds like that is the issue.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #116
wheelhaus
 
wheelhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,788
Thanks: 714
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uEih View Post
I'll ask around, I'm sure one of my buddy has one. Did you use a torque wrench? If not how much tighter did you tighten it after hand tightening the valve? Quarter or more? I could tighten the valve a bit more it feels like but I do not want to risk it as I don't remember how much I've tightened it.
It's really difficult to describe, because it's a subtle feeling when you can tell something is hand torqued "properly". Counting turns might be another good method, but I've always just gone by feel when not using a torque wrench.

After your last post, I think the valve itself may be leaking if the lever won't lock into position, that may be preventing the valve from closing fully. You may be one of those rare lucky winners of a faulty valve (if you didn't accidentally torque it from the wrong location as chas3wba0 mentioned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
I have a concern about the valve. How much old oil is left in after a drain? It appears the threading extends in to the pan a few mm not allowing a total drain? Has anyone measured the oil pan drain threading the the plug threading?
I agree, it's minimal. If you're concerned, then you could certainly measure the thread depth with a 90° hook wire and cut back the threads on the valve, or just slot it slightly at the lowest point once torqued into position.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #117
uEih
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 458
Thanks: 162
Thanked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
It's really difficult to describe, because it's a subtle feeling when you can tell something is hand torqued "properly". Counting turns might be another good method, but I've always just gone by feel when not using a torque wrench.

After your last post, I think the valve itself may be leaking if the lever won't lock into position, that may be preventing the valve from closing fully. You may be one of those rare lucky winners of a faulty valve (if you didn't accidentally torque it from the wrong location as chas3wba0 mentioned).


I agree, it's minimal. If you're concerned, then you could certainly measure the thread depth with a 90° hook wire and cut back the threads on the valve, or just slot it slightly at the lowest point once torqued into position.
Nope, it came like that out of the package, that's the first thing I noticed and was annoyed by it but decided it might not be a big deal after all as long as it holds properly. Little did I know I should've brought it up before installing.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #118
DCdesign2000
Member
 
DCdesign2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: Civic Hyb, RS6, BRZ SeriesBlue
Location: Saratoga
Posts: 97
Thanks: 19
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have the most recent coupon codes for quickvalve.com? I am thinking about getting one.

Is F-108N simply too long for the low ground clearance on the BRZ/FRS?
Is the white nipple extension a good idea or unnecessary for F-108S?

Thank you!
DCdesign2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #119
JonAvalon
SCBYD0
 
JonAvalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 18 BRZ (WRB)
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 544
Thanks: 1,375
Thanked 240 Times in 167 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCdesign2000 View Post
Does anyone have the most recent coupon codes for quickvalve.com? I am thinking about getting one.

Is F-108N simply too long for the low ground clearance on the BRZ/FRS?
Is the white nipple extension a good idea or unnecessary for F-108S?

Thank you!
Current coupon for 5% I have is SPEED15

The 108S should be fine, I have that with the extension and haven't had an issue with it. Yes you will technically need the extension if you're using the clear tubing. I'm about to purchase a replacement 108S soon after my dealer somehow messed up the lever to open the valve door.
JonAvalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #120
zeal86
Senior Member
 
zeal86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCdesign2000 View Post
Does anyone have the most recent coupon codes for quickvalve.com? I am thinking about getting one.

Is F-108N simply too long for the low ground clearance on the BRZ/FRS?
Is the white nipple extension a good idea or unnecessary for F-108S?

Thank you!
I just installed the F-108N...my 86 sits pretty low but is not slammed... I am not too worried about the clearance of the Fumoto valve because if I hit something that could potentially open the valve or damage it, I would already know to stop and check because my front bumper would have hit first.

I might install some sort of clip or just safety wire the valve lever in the shut position just to be safe.


projekt zeal86 build

Last edited by zeal86; 08-01-2015 at 07:12 PM.
zeal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #121
zeal86
Senior Member
 
zeal86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
The amount the F-108N protrudes might be uncomfortable for some... for others it will be out of sight, out of mind.

Anyhow, the pics illustrate what some might be wondering about.
__________________________________________

Drilled a tiny hole in order to safety the valve lever in the closed position (This is totally precautionary).



Front View:



Side View:



projekt zeal86 build
zeal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #122
DCdesign2000
Member
 
DCdesign2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: Civic Hyb, RS6, BRZ SeriesBlue
Location: Saratoga
Posts: 97
Thanks: 19
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonAvalon View Post
Current coupon for 5% I have is SPEED15

The 108S should be fine, I have that with the extension and haven't had an issue with it. Yes you will technically need the extension if you're using the clear tubing. I'm about to purchase a replacement 108S soon after my dealer somehow messed up the lever to open the valve door.
SPEED15 coupon code doesn't work. Does anyone have a new one?

Thanks!
DCdesign2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #123
JonAvalon
SCBYD0
 
JonAvalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 18 BRZ (WRB)
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 544
Thanks: 1,375
Thanked 240 Times in 167 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCdesign2000 View Post
SPEED15 coupon code doesn't work. Does anyone have a new one?

Thanks!
Ah sorry I should of mentioned it expires on July 31st.
JonAvalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #124
mid_life_crisis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Location: NC
Posts: 1,519
Thanks: 101
Thanked 599 Times in 347 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
Haha, nipple.
Having just read through this thread thanks to it getting necroed, I'm astonished it stayed as clean as it did and took as long as it did for this post to show up.

"Quicker is always better"? Not according to any woman I ever knew.
I can't believe no one jumped on "it's tight the first time but after that it's easier"... you've got to be kidding.
__________________
Necessity may be the mother of Invention but Desperation is quite often the father.
“Sex is like Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.” - Mae West
Papa said, "son there's a lot of evil temptations out there. Best to try 'em all so you know which ones to avoid."
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #125
DCdesign2000
Member
 
DCdesign2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: Civic Hyb, RS6, BRZ SeriesBlue
Location: Saratoga
Posts: 97
Thanks: 19
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fumoto valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonAvalon View Post
Ah sorry I should of mentioned it expires on July 31st.
Not your fault. I was too slow.
If anyone has the new one, please post it.
Thank you!!
DCdesign2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #126
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson
 
RobertPaulson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2017 Golf R
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Posts: 1,138
Thanks: 1,295
Thanked 829 Times in 474 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
just order from amazon if you have prime, 2 day shipping.

I've had the 108N for over 20k miles and i've had 0 leaks and issues. (can't say the same about the stock drain pan plug). oil changes could not get easier and no mess. at all.
__________________
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
RobertPaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installed Perrin shifter bushing & Fumoto oil drain valve zooki Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 23 03-31-2013 05:18 PM
FS: Fumoto quick valve Laika Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 1 01-08-2013 01:51 PM
Quick Question??? soontobrz BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 12 12-16-2012 11:02 AM
Quick question.... be6sti Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 8 11-04-2012 09:53 PM
quick question about the height.. VenomRush Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 13 12-22-2009 10:42 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.