follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #351
GotMunchies?

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ 6MT Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
LOL. Just took a family of four on a road trip. Yes, it sucked, but I got a track day out of it.
I have this wonderful mental image of everyone sitting with an extra set of track-day tires on their laps.
GotMunchies? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GotMunchies? For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (01-07-2016), Tcoat (04-14-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #352
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't think the BRZ is THAT bad in terms of inside noise? Maybe I'm used to econoboxes but then again, I did own an IS300 at one point.

I didn't notice noise at all while I was test driving (drove both a BRZ and an FR-S)... then again, I am used to an S2000 (rattly soft top latches/frame) and a 240sx (old and rattly, in general lol).
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
D.Scrye (04-14-2015), Tcoat (04-14-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #353
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,157 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMunchies? View Post
I have this wonderful mental image of everyone sitting with an extra set of track-day tires on their laps.
I always track with stock tires. It keeps the speeds down and gives me an excuse for poor lap times. Anyway, I sent a spare down with my parents. They'll bring it back next time they visit.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #354
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't think the BRZ is THAT bad in terms of inside noise? Maybe I'm used to econoboxes but then again, I did own an IS300 at one point.

Agreed, I think cabin noise is one of the most over blown complaints about this car.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
D.Scrye (04-14-2015), LucidMomentum (04-14-2015), Sideways&Smiling (04-14-2015), Tcoat (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #355
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
I didn't notice noise at all while I was test driving (drove both a BRZ and an FR-S)... then again, I am used to an S2000 (rattly soft top latches/frame) and a 240sx (old and rattly, in general lol).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Agreed, I think cabin noise is one of the most over blown complaints about this car.
Not by any stretch are you the only one that doesn't think it is that bad.
The thing is that we don't post "well I am keeping the car because I find the noise isn't bad at all" or "you know I just noticed that I can hear my radio just fine" so we don't get noticed.
Same applies to dealer service work, having no problems, feel there is enough power/speed, and so on. We just hear the complaints while the majority just drive around without comments.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #356
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Bitching about the road noise in this car, is like bitching about the gas mileage of a Hummer. Its something to be expected with this type of vehicle.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
Frost (04-14-2015), JS + BRZ (04-14-2015), Sideways&Smiling (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #357
D.Scrye

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The only sound issue I've ever had was how loud she got when engine braking (not that I usually do that, but I spend a lot of time in traffic). Since I got a frontpipe with a whacking huge resonator on it, that problem has gone away.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #358
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Bitching about the road noise in this car, is like bitching about the gas mileage of a Hummer. Its something to be expected with this type of vehicle.
I know! I find it odd that in the list of people who seem to have traded in this car for something better suited for them (read: they bought the wrong car in the first place), road noise was almost always a recurring issue.

Seriously?

I'll give that the WRX / STi is certainly more refined but imho, it's getting bloated.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:19 PM   #359
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
My friend works at a dealership and got a hell of a deal on a new 2015 WRX. I'm hoping to check it out and see what it feels like. He already has a list of mods he want to do for it to include an Ark Exhaust.

As we all know they will fell differently but the only way to really know is to drive one
Old 04-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #360
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Garage
Quote:

Lol, I'm coming from an MR2 Spyder = creaky soft top from chassis flex + rattling everywhere in interior + ear-ringing wind noise + loud engine that makes the whole car vibrate + tons of road noise. When I drove a BRZ for the first time, I thought I was sitting in a new Lexus.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Sideways&Smiling (04-14-2015), Tcoat (04-15-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #361
ckim

Drives: '15 DGM STi Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was coming from a '99 M3 which was pretty refined for a 16 year old car with 150k+ miles.

The BRZ wasn't too horrible stock. Got a bit obnoxious with the header (even the neighbors complained). And when I put the stock exhaust manifold back on it just felt too slow.
ckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #362
Philly758

Drives: GMC
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckim View Post
Reviving a dead thread.

After much debate, I traded in my BRZ for a '15 STi. The desire for more space, a quieter cabin, and more torque/hp won out in the end. The STi is absolutely excellent. Grip levels are high, handling is sharp, engine is smooth, and the AWD system is absolutely confidence inspiring. On top of that, my kid fits in the back with room to spare.

But, owning an STi (and driving it on the same canyon roads that I'd driven the BRZ on many many times) has also made me realize just how great the BRZ is. The 86 is so communicative, and making it do what you want is effortless. It's an absolute blast to drive (especially once you do something about that torque dip), and IMHO a hell of a deal.

I'm pretty much just repeating what some people above have already said, but "BRZ v. WRX" is ultimately going to depend on what you're looking for. Both are excellent cars, just different. You can't really go wrong with either, unless you're trying to fit your family of 4 into your BRZ for an extended road trip. Then you're going to have a bad time.
I want to want an STI so bad, but I can't get myself to trade in my BRZ. I test drove an STI and it was fun, felt like a lot more car, but the seats/driving position is what kills it for me. I feel like I am sitting in a corolla. There is nothing exciting about it. The seats and driving position in the BRZ are awesome.

I do love the BRZ and have done a fair amount of mods on my own (vortech, springs, exhaust, bushings, stuff). I like working on cars and working on this car. But my job has been crazy, I live in a condo without a garage and need to drive 30 min each way to my brothers garage where all my tools are to accomplish anything. The STI would be sweet and not need much, just a tune and maybe some wheels if I went with the base model. That would fit my current living situation so much better.

Do you think the benefits of the STI outweigh the awkward bench seat/driving position?

#firstworldproblems
Philly758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #363
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly758 View Post
I want to want an STI so bad, but I can't get myself to trade in my BRZ. I test drove an STI and it was fun, felt like a lot more car, but the seats/driving position is what kills it for me. I feel like I am sitting in a corolla. There is nothing exciting about it. The seats and driving position in the BRZ are awesome.

I do love the BRZ and have done a fair amount of mods on my own (vortech, springs, exhaust, bushings, stuff). I like working on cars and working on this car. But my job has been crazy, I live in a condo without a garage and need to drive 30 min each way to my brothers garage where all my tools are to accomplish anything. The STI would be sweet and not need much, just a tune and maybe some wheels if I went with the base model. That would fit my current living situation so much better.

Do you think the benefits of the STI outweigh the awkward bench seat/driving position?

#firstworldproblems

Yes, I do. But if youre not sure.......then I say wait. When you feel you need more practicality and the BRZs lack of it frustrates you more and more. Then will be the time to make the change. Till then the BRZ sounds like the right car.

That being said I couldn't make the choice and I am lucky I don't have too. I play with my BRZ and DD a GOLF R(Formerly a WRX). I love my Golf R and its practical-ness. But my BRZ is my go to fun car/track toy.

Still, you will know when its time to let it go. 10 years ago if I could only have 1 car. Then the BRZ is it. But now I have more practical needs and I would choose the STI.

The good thing is. You cant really go wrong with either car. But I don't envy your dilemma. Good luck.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
Philly758 (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #364
Philly758

Drives: GMC
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Yes, I do. But if youre not sure.......then I say wait. When you feel you need more practicality and the BRZs lack of it frustrates you more and more. Then will be the time to make the change. Till then the BRZ sounds like the right car.

That being said I couldn't make the choice and I am lucky I don't have too. I play with my BRZ and DD a GOLF R(Formerly a WRX). I love my Golf R and its practical-ness. But my BRZ is my go to fun car/track toy.

Still, you will know when its time to let it go. 10 years ago if I could only have 1 car. Then the BRZ is it. But now I have more practical needs and I would choose the STI.

The good thing is. You cant really go wrong with either car. But I don't envy your dilemma. Good luck.
Well... I do have my not so practical, practical, jacked up AWD van with battle bumper for everthing else. So the STI may be more of a convenience thing than anything else. Anyways, thanks for the feedback!

Battle van...
Philly758 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philly758 For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (04-15-2015)