follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2015, 01:33 AM   #15
*Hachiroku86*
BAZINGA!

Drives: 15 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatabouteggs View Post
Make sure to get a digital one. We all know how inaccurate analogue tire pressure gauges are.

can you show data or facts that a digital gauge is more reliable and more accurate then and analog unit??
wparsons (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 02:58 AM   #16
Whatabouteggs
[Citation Needed]

Drives: 2014 WR Blue Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Hachiroku86* View Post
can you show data or facts that a digital gauge is more reliable and more accurate then and analog unit??
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1075458&page=3
Whatabouteggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #17
*Hachiroku86*
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatabouteggs View Post
You're basing your statement off of one guys opinion??

Where are the facts? His testimony of how he wrecked his M4 doesn't provide ANY factual evidence. It's purely someone's opinion.

I wonder why racing teams use analog gauges?

Here's a page from Long Acre Racing: http://www.longacreracing.com/techni...aspx?item=8183

"Digital ~ Digital gauges are great, however the cheaper the sensor the less accurate the gauge is. With these gauges you get what you pay for."

"Analog ~ Analog gauges are a great unit of measurement for the money. Normally, the bigger the face size the better the gauge is."
Old 03-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #18
*Hachiroku86*
BAZINGA!

best tire pressure gauge (tire pressure question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
hello everyone, i was wondering what tire pressure gauge everyone is using?

what is the best tire pressure gauge available out on the market now? one that possibly doesn't bleed air out too much when trying to engage the valve to get a measurement.

I want to keep the price reasonable but am not opposed to maybe spending around $100(buy once cry once).

also, i've always been told to measure and fill tires when cold or not driven for at least 2 hours.

Our cars being 35 psi all around, would it be ok to let's say fill up early morning when it's colder let's say around 40 degrees? then as the day progresses to the afternoon let's say the temperature increases to 60 or so, would the increase in PSI be ok due to the temperature increase?

I'd imagine car manufacturer's take the above into account and the recommended psi settings are for cold temperature measurements?

Rather then recommending a specific brand or type, i will suggest features you may want look for.

bleeder valve

glow in the dark (analog)

additional fittings

60 PSI maximum

half pound increments

Your preferences may vary.

If you decide to go with a digital gauge, be prepared to spend good money if you want something VERY accurate. See my post above.

Last edited by *Hachiroku86*; 03-21-2015 at 12:55 PM.
*Hachiroku86* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to *Hachiroku86* For This Useful Post:
wparsons (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #19
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I used to work as an instrumentation technician, part of my job was calibrating gauges.

Analog gauges are less accurate, and suffer much more drift over time.

Take a look at the accuracy ratings of the gauges here http://www.ashcroft.com/products/pressure_gauges/ You need an analog test gauge to get to the same accuracy of a fairly cheap digital gauge. Test gauges start somewhere around $1000 and go much higher. You can get the same accuracy from a digital gauge for less than 10% of the price.

Analog gauges use a coiled tube that when pressurized will uncoil slightly. A linkage connects this to the needle. Over time the coil will lose spring tension, and the linkage will shift from vibrations. Also that coil will be effected by temperature much more than a digital gauge will.

A digital gauge typically uses a piezoelectric strain gauge. These are very stable by comparison.

The dial face size and it being liquid filled mean nothing about the quality of the internals.

Here's a link to the gauge that I've recently ordered. I was testing my old gauge and found it was leaking internally. That doesn't happen often but it can happen to either type of gauge.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170978776319?...84.m1497.l2649
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #20
Whatabouteggs
[Citation Needed]

Drives: 2014 WR Blue Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Hachiroku86* View Post
You're basing your statement off of one guys opinion??
Dude, chill.

http://jalopnik.com/how-not-to-expla...s-b-1677523538

It was a joke...
Whatabouteggs is offline   Reply With Quote