follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #43
Chanpion

Drives: 13 FRS Satin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm wondering if anyone knows a good alternative to the HPs price wise. Something with the same tire life, grip and rolling resistance. Reason being, the HPs are more expensive than Pilot Sports which is odd. Are there any 'summer' tires that are even a bit cheaper than the HPs with a similar character? (Got a set of winters so would like the other side of the spectrum) I've researched and found FalkensZIEX ZE914 Ecoruns but I can't seem to get any in my city. They all have stock of the Falken performance summers though.
And a personal thing for me too, mine still have at least 1 or two seasons but I'm thinking heading back to school sooner or later and WILL be broke. But I still want to be able to drive my little twin because I can't give that up.
Chanpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #44
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanpion View Post
I'm wondering if anyone knows a good alternative to the HPs price wise. Something with the same tire life, grip and rolling resistance. Reason being, the HPs are more expensive than Pilot Sports which is odd. Are there any 'summer' tires that are even a bit cheaper than the HPs with a similar character? (Got a set of winters so would like the other side of the spectrum) I've researched and found FalkensZIEX ZE914 Ecoruns but I can't seem to get any in my city. They all have stock of the Falken performance summers though.
And a personal thing for me too, mine still have at least 1 or two seasons but I'm thinking heading back to school sooner or later and WILL be broke. But I still want to be able to drive my little twin because I can't give that up.
You can filter every which way at tirerack.com. Here's what they're showing as comperable to OEM for a start:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/grandtour.jsp
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
Chanpion (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #45
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
anyone tried replacing just the front two? agreeing with above the primacy do not give me confidence in < 50 degrees & wet conditions. It could be inexperience, but I have been driving this car for over a year now and I still find that I never know when they are going to let go. This is not so much a problem when it's the back end coming out because you have options to save or enjoy it, But when the front lets go unexpectedly there are much fewer options available. I would much rather spin around in a circle than understeer into a curb.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #46
torqdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
anyone tried replacing just the front two? agreeing with above the primacy do not give me confidence in < 50 degrees & wet conditions. It could be inexperience, but I have been driving this car for over a year now and I still find that I never know when they are going to let go. This is not so much a problem when it is the back end coming out as because you have options to save or enjoy it, But when the front let go unexpectedly there are much fewer options available.
I wouldn't mix between axles. Either stick to the same make/model/size all around or swap the entire set assuming you got your free four-wheel alignment and rotation from the dealership first.
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
Target70 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #47
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
true didn't think about the speed sensors, but then again, before I rotated my tires, my fronts had much more tread on them than my backs, so maybe it wouldn't cause an issue.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #48
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
My plan will be to put something stickier on when I wear the OEMs out. I do like how controllable the stock tires are, but right now in the Portland, OR area, it's pretty wet, and as stated earlier, these tires wet traction leaves a lot of room for improvement.

I laid into the throttle exiting the Tualatin cloverleaf on-ramp the other night and it got loose on me. I knew I was close, but that one skeered me because that K rail isn't that far away.

Also, I don't understand their price point when better tires are much cheaper. There must be some 'prius owners will pay whatever we tell them' mentality in there somewhere.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #49
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I love them too, but there are two problems with the Primacy HP's: price and weather capability, I don't have to worry about the latter just the former.

If I come across a set of Primacy HP's that are low mileage and cheap (everybody the first year were dumping them before they filled up the tank for the first time) I'll pick them up and mount them when I use up the tires I have now, otherwise there are many better performance options for less money. It isn't worth the extra $80-$200 imo.

Primacy:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....7PHP&tab=Sizes

Bridgestone RE-11A
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....E11A&tab=Sizes

Dunlop Direzza ZII
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R7Z2&tab=Sizes

Michelin Pilot Super Sports
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....SSXL&tab=Sizes

Yokohoma Advan AD08
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....D08R&tab=Sizes

BFGoodrich Rivals
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....FRXL&tab=Sizes

Last edited by strat61caster; 01-17-2015 at 10:28 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #50
torqdork

I've driven cars in the wet on the Primacy's, RE-11A's, AD08's and PSS's. The only one I'd consider suitable for year 'round use in Portland are the PSS's, not sure about the ZII's or Rivals but their tread pattern and survey results can't match PSS wet reviews although they're rated relative to others only within category. PSS are in the Max category vs. Extreme of the others so it's apples and oranges in the wet while the others are better in dry, warmer conditions.

@jeepmor, if you like the control of the OEM tire, you'll really appreciate the added control, balance and recovery ability of the PSS. The downside is a slightly rougher ride in 225/45-17 size and louder tire noise but I run a Perrin unresonated so hardly notice above the din. America's Tire Co. has PSS $100 discount promos quarterly so watch their site for best price (and they match tirerack pre-discount).
Old 01-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #51
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The Primacy tires aren't bad, but they are way too expensive to rebuy considering all the other options out there.

As far as Auto X, I'm at the point where I can't improve my times further on the OEM tires either so when these are worn out I'll look forward to something different.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #52
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I went with PSS and never looked back.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muaddib For This Useful Post:
torqdork (01-19-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #53
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky369 View Post
Honestly I think the stock tires aren't that bad, sure they chirp a bit and aren't as grippy as the Z1 I had before but I like it. Would it be weird if my tires needs to be replaced and I ask for exact match of pairs of tires?

Anyone on my side? If not feel free to shit on my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're stupid expensive
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #54
Grim-Reaper

Drives: GT86 '13 AT, Supra 3.0i Turbo' 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
In terms of price I just compared the Primacy HP to others in stock dimension at my local tire dealer here in Germany.

The Primacy costs 140€ - Same as a Bridgestone RE050 A.

For 145€ you get Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT and TT and Continental Sportcontact 5.

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 is 155€, Pirelli P Zero Nero is only 120€!
Grim-Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:01 AM   #55
tYtEn86

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a set of PSS for track and mt. Run. But I actually prefer stock tires for daily driving but seeing how much it cost i wont be getting them again.
tYtEn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #56
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
If I was doing auto x or track time, I would want better tires. As is, my car is a street car/daily driver and I don't mind the stock tires. The low grip adds to the fun nature of the car. It is part of what makes the car such a riot to drive. There is no arguing that the price is way out of line, and the lack of grip in the wet is kind of scary, but if you ditch (or curb) it, it's because you were going too fast for the road conditions.