follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #57
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What ? This isnt Mitsubishi ? My vendor and sales director said I could perform my own maintenance as long as I used OEM Roku filter

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #58
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just booked for first service and fuel pump chirp next Monday but technically I reached 6 months this past Monday. Hope they don't ding me for that lol! Dam my expensive Sustina 0W-20 all wasted I better step on it this weekend lol!
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #59
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I just emailed subaru and my salesman. I'll try to give subaru a call tomorrow morning. Hopefully they pick up this time. I'll keep everyone posted.

My salesman kept repeating it during the sales process and even when I picked up the car. Then again, it could also be BS since Service A is around $300 I believe. My dad never serviced his vehicle at the dealership but recently made a warranty claim with chrysler and it went through. I'm hoping my salesman was bsing this. It would be ridiculous if its true.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #60
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by congee View Post
I just emailed subaru and my salesman. I'll try to give subaru a call tomorrow morning. Hopefully they pick up this time. I'll keep everyone posted.

My salesman kept repeating it during the sales process and even when I picked up the car. Then again, it could also be BS since Service A is around $300 I believe. My dad never serviced his vehicle at the dealership but recently made a warranty claim with chrysler and it went through. I'm hoping my salesman was bsing this. It would be ridiculous if its true.
I just called Markham Subaru, Service A is about $100 + tax.

I never serviced my Golf GTI at the dealer either and got all of my warranty claims through including engine recall campaigns during out of the warranty period (the valve cover could have catastrophically cracked when the PCV failed, luckily I caught it just in time), even tho they and their contractors always messed something up repairing things (calling you out friggin' VW Villa).
Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #61
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabviper View Post
I had the same concerns with warranty and oil changes. I called Subaru Canada directly and had a chat with the representative. She told me that as long as you document it and do the oil changes based on the service manual, you are covered.

I've done 2 oil changes myself. All of my oil was bought from the dealer. I always keep the receipts just in case as well.
I got the same info from my dealers service department. When Ibought my oil and filters from them he told me to make sure that the parts departmentputs my name on the receipt. With doing my own oil change they said the firstservice should be in the 30-40 dollar range.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #62
congee

So I finally got an update. Confirmed by subaru canada customer service that it is NOT MANDATORY to get any maintenance done at a subaru dealership(including the first service A) however, you must maintain a service record with receipts if you need to make a claim. If you don't, they may decline any warranty claims.

My sales person was full of Shit. Time to write a bad review.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #63
Myv

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
So I finally got an update. Confirmed by subaru canada customer service that it is NOT MANDATORY to get any maintenance done at a subaru dealership(including the first service A) however, you must maintain a service record with receipts if you need to make a claim. If you don't, they may decline any warranty claims.

Myv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #64
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:

Nice so I can cancel my Monday appointment!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #65
congee

Here's the full email for reference. Names edited out for privacy reasons :P

Quote:
Dear Congee,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate with Subaru Canada.

Subaru Canada does not cover the cost of the first oil change, however this may be a service offered by your selling dealership. As an independently owned and operated business, our dealership has the right to offer services, such as complementary oil changes, to its customers.

While a Subaru dealership is best qualified to perform maintenance work on your vehicle, you are not obligated to do so. However, as indicated in your Warranty/Maintenance and Roadside Assistance Manual, in the event you are unable to return to your Subaru Dealer for maintenance work you should retain all receipts as proof of services rendered, making them readily available in the event questions arise concerning maintenance. Not doing so may result in refusal by Subaru Canada Inc. to perform Warranty Service by an authorized dealer.

The Maintenance Schedule, which can be found on pages 24-26 of your Warranty/Maintenance and Roadside Assistance Manual, the oil change interval for your 2013 Subaru BRZ is every 6 months or 10,000 km, whichever occurs first.

Thank you again for taking the time to communicate your experience with us. On behalf of Subaru Canada, I wish you, and your family many more years of safe and pleasurable driving.

Respectfully,

| Bilingual Customer Experience Liaison,
| Subaru Canada, Inc. |
Old 04-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #66
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Oil change every 10k? What are we driving? Corollas?
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #67
PMPB

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
To be honest, it's not really a 'High Performance' vehicle. I think 5.4L of oil for a 2.0L engine is quite a bit, especially when those cylinders are lying flat. Plus UOA's are showing that the oil is good for easily 10,000km. I think it's 10k km or 6mo though. So I'm guessing most of use will be changing it every 6mo...

Anybody in Niagara region have an AMSOIL Preferred customer #? I need to buy some oils.
PMPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #68
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
In Europe a typical long life oil change interval is rated for 15k to 20k+ with Group IV and V oil.

It really depends on how you drive. Frequent short distance driving that's prevalent in North America, the oil change interval is more aggressive (in Europe, a car is primarily used for long distance trips / vacation as short distance city travel is mostly done by public transit).
Old 05-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #69
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
FYI - I got a response from Subaru saying that (as noted by another poster) you can DIY oil changes, as long as you keep the receipts and a service record to document/prove you did the changes in keeping with the service requirements.

Subaru dealership service is bloody expensive (was quoted ~CAD 130 for an oil change, whereas the Scion dealer did it for under $60 as I had my own filter).

For those with Leases, I called Toyota Credit (which is where Subaru leases are done), and they said they generally don't pay attention to whether or not the oil changes were DIY, as long as (again) everything is documented.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #70
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
FYI - I got a response from Subaru saying that (as noted by another poster) you can DIY oil changes, as long as you keep the receipts and a service record to document/prove you did the changes in keeping with the service requirements.

Subaru dealership service is bloody expensive (was quoted ~CAD 130 for an oil change, whereas the Scion dealer did it for under $60 as I had my own filter).

For those with Leases, I called Toyota Credit (which is where Subaru leases are done), and they said they generally don't pay attention to whether or not the oil changes were DIY, as long as (again) everything is documented.
why don't you take your car to iGarage?