follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #239
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Welcome to DI, and high pressure fuel pumps the louder sounds are all apart of the game. The one on this car is just louder than most. But then again other manufacturers to a better job at isolating the noise.
You mean other manufacturers bury the mechanicals under a foot of sound deadening material.

One thing I love about this car is when you open the hood you see..... ENGINE!. None of the crap covers on everything.
They built this car knowing that we wanted to work on it, not admire the plastic covers on everything.

I always think to myself that this car sounds like a diesel with the noise under the hood, but you wont care when you are finding yourself turning off the music on the radio so you can hear the music under the hood.
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Porsche (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #240
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Ouch. Did you have a revup engine? I've only had my 350z for less than a year, but thankfully doesn't seem to have any major oil consumption.
I had an '06 6 spd manual (bought new). They were known for oil consumption problems, and Nissan finally issued a TSB for an oil consumption test, and started replacing engines. Even at a quart every 1500, mine would have qualified for a replacement...but:

1) Many owners got 2nd, even 3rd engines, and still had the problem.
2) I really didn't care a quart every 1500...that's 1 quart between changes...no big deal.
3) There is no way a dealer service shop could replace an engine, and match the OEM installation standards.
4) and I really didn't mind adding a quart every 700, but I was worried about what other damage (like to the cats?) or other components was taking place.

Found some really good deals on 370s before I bought the FRS. But after getting burned once, I just couldn't pull the trigger on another Z.

Good luck with yours. I really wish I could have kept mine.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #241
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
I had an '06 6 spd manual (bought new). They were known for oil consumption problems, and Nissan finally issued a TSB for an oil consumption test, and started replacing engines. Even at a quart every 1500, mine would have qualified for a replacement...but:

1) Many owners got 2nd, even 3rd engines, and still had the problem.
2) I really didn't care a quart every 1500...that's 1 quart between changes...no big deal.
3) There is no way a dealer service shop could replace an engine, and match the OEM installation standards.
4) and I really didn't mind adding a quart every 700, but I was worried about what other damage (like to the cats?) or other components was taking place.

Found some really good deals on 370s before I bought the FRS. But after getting burned once, I just couldn't pull the trigger on another Z.

Good luck with yours. I really wish I could have kept mine.
Thanks! The 350z's definitely a good GT-type car, and a nice change on days I don't drive the FR-S. The oil consumption on the revup engines worries me a bit (I bought an 05 35th that has the same engine as your 06), but it seems ok for now, knock on wood.

And yeah I agree, a quart every 1000-1500 miles wouldn't bother me that much. Did your oil consumption suddenly get worse, or was it gradual?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 04-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #242
Jen

Drives: 2016 WRX, 2016 Corvette Z51 3LT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
FRS car #2. Worse than car #1. Wow. I can't even explain what this one was doing. The sales guy didn't know what to do so he kept on revving it.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #243
billwot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Thanks! The 350z's definitely a good GT-type car, and a nice change on days I don't drive the FR-S. The oil consumption on the revup engines worries me a bit (I bought an 05 35th that has the same engine as your 06), but it seems ok for now, knock on wood.

And yeah I agree, a quart every 1000-1500 miles wouldn't bother me that much. Did your oil consumption suddenly get worse, or was it gradual?
If you aren't having any problems now, then you probably never will. From the posts on the 350 forums, the problems would start right from the beginning. Mine used that quart every 1500 from the day I got it.

And it went from a quart/1500 to quart/700 very quickly, starting around 53-55K.
The Following User Says Thank You to billwot For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #244
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
FRS car #2. Worse than car #1. Wow. I can't even explain what this one was doing. The sales guy didn't know what to do so he kept on revving it.

Sorry to hear about that.

But I'm not suprised if those were abused cars either.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #245
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,485 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Are you talking about the ticking clickity clacking or something else?

Here's a 'normal' sounding car, as in no real cause for concern:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_85viAqRcKk"]Scion FRS Subaru BRZ Fuel Pump Chirp Defect - YouTube[/ame]
Old 04-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #246
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you commute on pleasant country roads, or are you out on the congested Interstates with the big rigs' tires howling in your ears?

If the former, then go test drive a Miata as my good friend and colleague, @humfrz, suggested. We're both former Miata piloti.
The Following User Says Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #247
Porsche

Quote:

Sometimes I have a hard time following along with you, Jen.

Explain, please.

-Porsche (who's still searching for those photos you said you uploaded, or maybe not...? I'm old and easily confused. )
Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #248
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
How many miles on this one? '13?

My new cars don't sit on a lot, they jump from plant>port>dealer>me when I order from the fleet manager. Anyway, I'm not going to jinx my lack of crickets so I'm gonna just lurk, heh.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #249
Porsche

Jen, have you read about the cold gearbox 2nd gear selection issue?

All kidding aside, given some of the things that concern you, THAT'S an issue I could see truly angering you. At freezing temps -- and you experience that often where you live and work -- the second gear stiffness until warmed up is unlike anything I've ever experienced before. One could bend the shift lever attempting to force it into 2nd when the gearbox is cold.

Every car I've ever owned has had a stiff and notchy 2nd gear in the cold months until the gearbox oil is warmed up, which usually takes about 5 minutes of driving before it becomes easier.

But, our BRZ?

Oy!

You'll likely think it's broken. It isn't, though.

Many owners have reported that changing fluids helped only marginally. A lighter gear oil might affect long-term durability. The point being that this is an issue we mostly need to adapt to.

Remember, too, what I wrote many days ago: This is a hard-riding, noisy car, and not well-suited for long distance commuting over poor roads. I'm not sure whether you have it in you to embrace the experience and find it to be a positive one on balance.

Right now, you're "star-struck" by the FUN factor. That's real. But, it's not ALL there is to the experience.

I can envision you being unhappy. So unhappy, in fact, that you may wish you'd never bought this car.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the "dues" we pay to enjoy this fun car might be too much for you, more than you will be pleased with, on balance. I dunno...

Something to consider.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-14-2014), strat61caster (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #250
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
At freezing temps -- and you experience that often where you live and work -- the second gear stiffness until warmed up is unlike anything I've ever experienced before. One could bend the shift lever attempting to force it into 2nd when the gearbox is cold.

This is a hard-riding, noisy car, and not well-suited for long distance commuting over poor roads.[/B]
How cold is it getting where you are? I had temps below zero this winter (although I probably didn't drive below 15 degrees). Never had anything approaching what you're describing. Tight until warm? Sure. Bending the shift level? Not even close to that tight.

As to hard riding... yea. But... are you to a Crown Vic or something. LOL. I've driven the BRZ from SE Ohio to Asheville, NC... from SE Ohio to Southeastern PA... from SE Ohio to SW Ohio... and I bought it down in South Carolina and drove it home to SE Ohio. I drive 30 miles each way to play soccer 2-3 times a week. And the roads up here have been terrible this winter and spring. I don't have any complaints. But then again, I knew what I was getting into coming from a Prelude VTEC that I drove for 10 years.

As to noise... that's what the stereo is for. Or just take the time to put in some sound dampening.

I'm happy to give up some ride comfort for lack of body roll. But YMMV.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #251
billwot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
1)This is a hard-riding, noisy car, and 2) not well-suited for long distance commuting over poor roads.

1) is one of the major reasons I bought the car, and 2) long distance commutes, weekend trips to the beach and the mountains, it will suit me just fine.

I guess us sports/performance car junkies are just wired a little different.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billwot For This Useful Post:
Annahra (04-14-2014), SirBrass (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #252
Annahra

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I commute just under an hour each day and I go 1500 mi. round trip to visit family once a quarter and I enjoy the car a lot, but I do have to be careful with my latte in some places It is actually a lot more fun going through the mountains than my Genesis 2.0t coupe and it gets about 8 mpg better gas mileage.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Annahra For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (04-14-2014)

Closed Thread

Tags
camaro vs crickets, pushrodslol, trollmageddon, where's my popcorn