follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Will sub remove door speaker rattle?

I get a lot of rattle from the door speakers from bass. Particularly hip hop music. It's not my favorite genre so I don't listen all the time but when I do the door rattle is really annoying. If I get a sub like the stealthbox will it eliminate the rattle since the bass will be going elsewhere?

Other than the rattle I am happy with the OEM system so not looking for an entire new setup.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,292 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Short answer: No, not at the same volume you are experiencing the rattle.

So the deck is powering the dash and the rear speakers. The dash speakers are crossovered at a higher frequency than the other speakers. The rear speakers are full range frequency. The door speakers are mid-bass drivers ran off a small amp in the trunk. The door speakers are crossovered at a low frequency. The stock deck has RCA preoutputs. (wow!) So adding a sub is easy, but won't affect the sound coming out of the other speakers. You would have to add a new amp, and/or new deck, or signal processor, or add crossovers to each speaker.

I am installing 6 new speakers, two crossovers, an amp, and a powered sub this weekend in my FR-S. I have been doing research into what it will take to "fix" the sound. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
I get a lot of rattle from the door speakers from bass. Particularly hip hop music. It's not my favorite genre so I don't listen all the time but when I do the door rattle is really annoying. If I get a sub like the stealthbox will it eliminate the rattle since the bass will be going elsewhere?

Other than the rattle I am happy with the OEM system so not looking for an entire new setup.
Best thing you could do would be to add something like Dynamat in the doors.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
So an amp and sub would do it?

Anyone know the specific areas to dynamat? Not really interested in plastering the car with it.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
rupert
Audio & Bacon Junkie

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a sound processor would be necessary to fix the situation.

If just an amp and sub is installed, the original signal is still being routed to the doors. The best way to resolve that would be to have a sound processor limit the frequencies going to the door. That would force the sub to handle the bass and leave the door drivers to mid-bass duties.

If you don't want to build out a setup that includes a processor, you should do what thill suggested. That would save you a lot of money, but the doors and the sub could overlap in the frequencies they generate.
rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
M_Dubbs

Drives: My lil bro has a white BRZ limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert View Post
Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a sound processor would be necessary to fix the situation.

If just an amp and sub is installed, the original signal is still being routed to the doors. The best way to resolve that would be to have a sound processor limit the frequencies going to the door. That would force the sub to handle the bass and leave the door drivers to mid-bass duties.

If you don't want to build out a setup that includes a processor, you should do what thill suggested. That would save you a lot of money, but the doors and the sub could overlap in the frequencies they generate.
Nah, if you add an amp and sub, you can turn down the bass on the deck which will in turn reduce the amount of bass going to the door speakers which will reduce the buzz. The problem is, there is still some buzz/rattling on those door panels some times even without music. There are threads about this already but I have dealt with the door buzz issue on two of these, one is my brother's stock audio system in which we dynamatted the doors and took care of the infamous rattle on the window switch area. The other is one I did a new pioneer in-dash DVD and replaced the speakers with some Kicker KS series speakers and dynamatted the doors. On that one we did put a Kicker amp and sub in the trunk but on both, the door rattle was eliminated and in my brother's with the stock audio system, road noise was reduced and sound quality and bass response was increased. Whatever way you decide to go, at least explore getting some sound deadening or something near the switch panels in the door which are known for being a problem area. If I remeber I'll pull the pics off of my phone later.
M_Dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
M_Dubbs

Drives: My lil bro has a white BRZ limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A sound processor could help in the way that dude described but I think there would still be rattles and buzzes.
M_Dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
rupert
Audio & Bacon Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Dubbs View Post
Nah, if you add an amp and sub, you can turn down the bass on the deck which will in turn reduce the amount of bass going to the door speakers which will reduce the buzz. The problem is, there is still some buzz/rattling on those door panels some times even without music. There are threads about this already but I have dealt with the door buzz issue on two of these, one is my brother's stock audio system in which we dynamatted the doors and took care of the infamous rattle on the window switch area. The other is one I did a new pioneer in-dash DVD and replaced the speakers with some Kicker KS series speakers and dynamatted the doors. On that one we did put a Kicker amp and sub in the trunk but on both, the door rattle was eliminated and in my brother's with the stock audio system, road noise was reduced and sound quality and bass response was increased. Whatever way you decide to go, at least explore getting some sound deadening or something near the switch panels in the door which are known for being a problem area. If I remeber I'll pull the pics off of my phone later.
I forgot about messing with the internal EQ. Sound deadening is a requirement
Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
WolfSongX

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
The door rattle can be totally handled by sound deadening. There are a few good guides on here with pics. Huge improvement to the stock system for a weekend's worth of effort.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Professional driver in search of closed course..
WolfSongX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfSongX For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #10
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Fix the door speaker rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSongX View Post
The door rattle can be totally handled by sound deadening. There are a few good guides on here with pics. Huge improvement to the stock system for a weekend's worth of effort.
@Wolfsong is correct. The rattle is caused by a lose fitting inside the door near the window switches. A few pieces of foam tape fixes the problem completely. You just have to take the door card off, no biggie.
@xjohnx 's how-to is in this thread HERE with lots of
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Zippy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wow, no one giving the old school "add a capacitor in series with the speaker leads" answer. You will need two capacitors. Each will go on one of the cables to/from the speakers. You can place them in the trunk where the wires go to the speakers in the doors. One capacitor per speaker and it does not matter which of the two wires you put in in line with. (Amp -> Cap -> Speaker) A 400 micro farad capacitor will remove anything below 200 hertz from the door speakers. If you want to cross it over at a lower frequency you can get 120 hertz and up with a 660 micro farad capacitor. The higher the frequency you cross it over at the less rattle; however you will also be removing some of the sound frequencies that you normally hear also. Most sub amps can be crossed over to 120 hertz and below so that may be a good place to start if you are just adding the sub and amp. Old School for the win :-)
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zippy For This Useful Post:
FRSPirate (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
ean611

Drives: Crystal Black Silica BRZ Limited
Short version. You want no door rattle? take apart the door panels, find the rattling parts, add mass loader to those parts. (Dynamat butyl rubber layer).

That's it. Anything else and the door will still rattle. A sub will just cause them to resonate from that rather than the door speaker.
ean611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
This is exactly what I was wanting to do, and I'm about halfway through the process right now. I added a 12" sub and dynamat in the trunk lid, under the spare, and both doors and license plates.

Notes:
- Rattle/buzz from by the window switches as mentioned by DAEMANO (Fix??)
- Rattle from rear deck that I may or may not have fixed (see thread)
- Rattle from Homelink mirror that I haven't messed with yet
- Turning down the lowest 2 frequencies in the EQ "kind of" helps but they have to be damn near off. And the resulting sound isn't very good.

I'll check out the window switches tonight hopefully. In the meantime I've just been reluctantly turning the volume down.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
rupert
Audio & Bacon Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
Turning down the lowest 2 frequencies in the EQ "kind of" helps but they have to be damn near off. And the resulting sound isn't very good.
That's what I feared. I don't know first hand, but I figured using that as a bobo crossover would end up rather meh.