follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Selling their cars
Unhappy with ft86 21 17.65%
Better car available now or near future 20 16.81%
Too many problems with ft68 30 25.21%
Couldn't afford it 48 40.34%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #29
Dsmith1992
10 Series Colorado

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frstorm View Post
They want the series ten or 2014 since the only difference in 2014 will be the radio and that's so worh it
but if you have an aftermarket subwoofer and amp with the stock radio that has the RCA outputs, the new radios wont have those outputs on the back, i was on the phone with scion earlier today about it, cause the 10 series and the 2014 will have the 6.1" touchscreen in em
Dsmith1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #30
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njccmd2002 View Post
because racecar. Ive considering selling mine at times. Impulse buy. its a fun car, but the market hype damages this car. too many options it gives a headache. and then its sad that you are proud you added that exhaust, and then you see 20 diff threads that have added 20k or more in mods. and then you feel like, dam, why continue writing in my build thread, since nobody will post in it.

Not bashing those great builds, but some people feel discouraged, that for them to have better car, you need to put a lot of money.

Case in point, HP. every HP needed becomes expensive. 5000 for a supercharger? 10,000 for trd brakes? its better to go buy a old car, and buy cheap stuff over ebay and achieve greater hp.

at the end, its whatever...
It is not a competition. Just add the mods to make the car fit you better. Remember that the guys that are spending $20K to mod their cars now own a $50K car that is worth maybe 2-3K more than yours if done right and less than yours if done wrong.
Anthony (08-08-2013), BlueDubbinTDI (08-08-2013), FRS1010 (08-08-2013), Marchy (08-08-2013), polarstorm (08-17-2013), SpyderDan (08-08-2013), thill (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #31
tacoss23

Drives: '08 328i, '13 Accord Sport, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
A 328i is by no means M3 quality... and um... the FR-S may not be as fast, but its sure a hell more fun than the M3... and won't leave you feeling like mush after a long drive... and the FR-S should be about as fast as a 328...
Yeah I know, I mean like I said, he is not a true enthusiast. What he wants is a Sports car that is also luxurious and has power more than handling since all he wants it for is driving around and hit the clubs. That's why I'm saying, it was an impulse buy. I told him, you are going to get tired of that car when he bought it. I never thought it would be 5 months later though.

Anyways in regards the 328i, I'm not sure what you mean. This car has to be the most fun and complete package daily driver that it's out there.

That's the thing of BMW, it truly gives you the best of all 3 worlds: Practicality, Sportiness and Luxury (badge pride) without excelling at any of those. Having your 4-door sedan that does 0-60 in 6 secs, has a nice interior and most importantly handles like a sports car (see mechanical hydraulic steering) as your daily driver....is amazing. Now of course you paid for that too, instead of trading in mine for a 335i (F30) this year, I bought a '13 Accord and now I'm getting my '14 BRZ, and I will still end up with pocket change.
tacoss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #32
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
You don't need mods. Just drive and have fun and make memories and share photos from your adventures so that we may share in the experience.
I'm enjoying it... but I still want headers... and a catback... and wheels... and hood struts... and... and... I think that's about it...
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #33
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoss23 View Post
Yeah I know, I mean like I said, he is not a true enthusiast. What he wants is a Sports car that is also luxurious and has power more than handling since all he wants it for is driving around and hit the clubs. That's why I'm saying, it was an impulse buy. I told him, you are going to get tired of that car when he bought it. I never thought it would be 5 months later though.

Anyways in regards the 328i, I'm not sure what you mean. This car has to be the most fun and complete package daily driver that it's out there.

That's the thing of BMW, it truly gives you the best of all 3 worlds: Practicality, Sportiness and Luxury (badge pride) without excelling at any of those. Having your 4-door sedan that does 0-60 in 6 secs, has a nice interior and most importantly handles like a sports car (see mechanical hydraulic steering) as your daily driver....is amazing. Now of course you paid for that too, instead of trading in mine for a 335i (F30) this year, I bought a '13 Accord and now I'm getting my '14 BRZ, and I will still end up with pocket change.

I still own a 2002 E39 530i, and my dad has a 2011 E93 M3 that was my daily driver for the past month... The FR-S to me is a better DD than the M3 and as good a DD as the E39... And I don't find the interior in my FR-S to be a downgrade (Actually, it's more of an upgrade since I have touch screen, and the M3 basic)

A 4 door car will always be more practical than a 2 door coupe... and a 2 door coupe will always be more practical than a vert...

Mechanical hydraulic steering means nothing really... the FR-S EPS is as comunicative as the M3 and and the E39's, being a touch heavier and more precise than the E39
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #34
oldpueblo

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Some people probably just traded up to a 10 series (me) or a BRZ Limited. Loving the car but missing their lazy auto features.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #35
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
We must have very different views when it comes to this car, because everything you said either surprised me or didn't make sense to me.

Quote:
too many options it gives a headache.
I love all the options.

Quote:
and then its sad that you are proud you added that exhaust, and then you see 20 diff threads that have added 20k or more in mods.
Whenever I start to mod mine, I will be proud of each individual mod. For the time that it only has one, I will be proud of that one. When I install the final one (LOL "final one") I will be proud of it and still of the first one. If someone else has $20k in their car, then I will be really psyched for them. And if some other guy doesn't have any money into the car, but has $200,000 that is the car because it's a Ferrari, then I will be really psyched for him too. And if yet another guy is driving his 15 year old FR-S/BRZ around, stock as hell and loving every bit of it, then I will be happy for him as well.

Quote:
and then you feel like, dam, why continue writing in my build thread, since nobody will post in it.
I have a build thread already, and I still won't even lay eyes on my car for the first time for 4 more months. I updated it a few days ago and didn't even bother to give it a bump. I don't care if anyone ever sees it. It's a fun and very effective way of keeping a journal of the car.

Quote:
...some people feel discouraged, that for them to have better car, you need to put a lot of money.
Yes, it is true that you'll need more money to have a better car, but there are two things that make this fact not too hard to accept:

1. There are lots of things you can do for free to make it "better," such as free mods (weight reduction, adjusting things, debadging, etc.) or just driving it so that you get better at it which will lead to more fun.

2. The money thing is never ending. You could buy a Hennessey Venom and then start modding it to make it better. "Better" is all a matter of opinion and there could be any number of "fastest car in the world"'s because there are all sorts of ways to determine fastness.

Quote:
Case in point, HP. every HP needed becomes expensive. 5000 for a supercharger? 10,000 for trd brakes? its better to go buy a old car, and buy cheap stuff over ebay and achieve greater hp.
I also have two ways of seeing this:

1. If your goal is a dyno queen, why in the balls did you choose an 86 as your platform?

2. Maybe your goal isn't to have the most HP ever, but to have the most HP ever in an 86. In which case, you are at the beginning of a very long, expensive, and difficult road that parallels the same road for any other car on the planet. Hell, it'd probably be cheaper to have the world's highest HP FR-S than whatever the current highest HP Civic is. There are millions of crazy ass Civics out there.

If you determine how much you're enjoying your car based on your car's condition in relation to all the other cars' conditions, then I guess that's why all your points seem so strange to me. I'm not saying you're wrong or trying to argue, it's just your points seemed so alien to me.

I love the hell out of my car (that I've never even driven). I would absolutely sell it if I needed to save a testicle or something. But not because the Evasive Motorsports car is driving around somewhere.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Last edited by Anthony; 08-08-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthony For This Useful Post:
DIF (08-08-2013), frsvr4 (08-08-2013), icecreammmm (08-16-2013), i_giado (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #36
tacoss23

Drives: '08 328i, '13 Accord Sport, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
I still own a 2002 E39 530i, and my dad has a 2011 E93 M3 that was my daily driver for the past month... The FR-S to me is a better DD than the M3 and as good a DD as the E39... And I don't find the interior in my FR-S to be a downgrade (Actually, it's more of an upgrade since I have touch screen, and the M3 basic)

A 4 door car will always be more practical than a 2 door coupe... and a 2 door coupe will always be more practical than a vert...

Mechanical hydraulic steering means nothing really... the FR-S EPS is as comunicative as the M3 and and the E39's, being a touch heavier and more precise than the E39
That's nice to hear. The test drives I had in the FRS gave me that impression about the steering, but you never know by driving a car 30 mins each time.

Good to hear the steering of the FRS is solid coming from someone that drove the (old now) mechanic hydraulic M3s steering.

Funny part I felt the same way regarding the interior of my 328i when I got my '13 accord few months ago. It has so many more features like Pandora, text thingy, etc, that I actually enjoyed my time in there more than in my 328i. (on my daily commute).
tacoss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #37
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Some people just have that wandering eye, need to have the latest and greatest. Never hold onto any car for long and quickly move to the next car of the hour....
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re~Mix For This Useful Post:
BlueDubbinTDI (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #38
njccmd2002
Toyota Freak

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
deleted to save space.
it kind of sounded like it was my opinion, it was more of a generalized statement in the first person. But some of it may have real sentiment. some people want to belong, thats why they join a forum. To belong in a community, but also some feel that they cant belong if they are not up to par with the rest. So they decide to go back or change route

my real opinion on the car, is that its an expensive lego car. Each building block is expensive. Dont get me wrong, Its fun to drive. In 10 years it will be fun to drive, and see how the kids admire the car, being one owner , stock and unmolested.

I have it, but i decided not to modify it. Let all the hype blur, let the supra come, (if it does) , people will move on, the forum will become little less crowded, and take it from there, buy the used mods for cheap.

I continue building my old 76 jalopy of a celica, and enjoy that more because i built it, then move to my other J-tins.....

I can afford to have several cars, but for the most part, some people cant, and when they see the challenges that they need to overcome it scares them.

i just love this pic, it was taken several weeks ago and some people think its funny (but in reality those are my priorities)....

Old 08-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #39
MY13FRS
***** Super Senior Member

Drives: 13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking of selling my car because most owners that I see are young ricer punks. So the reason for selling is the stigma that it's a ricer car.

Thank you.
MY13FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MY13FRS For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #40
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY13FRS View Post
I am thinking of selling my car because most owners that I see are young ricer punks. So the reason for selling is the stigma that it's a ricer car.

Thank you.
Can't tell if trolling...

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony For This Useful Post:
Shagaliscious (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #41
njccmd2002
Toyota Freak

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
lol, al jap cars are called rice rockets. so what gives. so everyone needs to sell their civics, and supras?

i need to sell my j-tin? please advise...
Old 08-08-2013, 03:41 AM   #42
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
lol, al jap cars are called rice rockets. so what gives. so everyone needs to sell their civics, and supras?

i need to sell my j-tin? please advise...
Odd that "retard" gets deleted but "jap" gets a pass. One carries far more offensive (and racist) baggage than the other. Guess which one? My bet is that the ones who tremble and yell "racist" over the word "retard" don't know the answer.

Last edited by Tromatic; 08-08-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote