follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2016, 01:14 AM   #29
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Damn i thought you had to run 9s to need a parachute
Old 06-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #30
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Ouch. Which corner?
Turn 3
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #31
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racers Line View Post
Turn 3
I went off their once! Came in too fast. Started to lose it on the back. Just drove off and then back on. I'm sure I was slower than you.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #32
jjaisli

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Dan View Post
I've been tracking my daily driver for about 3 years now. (No Space for a second) Knock on wood I've never had an incident. Just remember that it IS NOT A RACE. There has been plenty of times where me an another car "go at it" but always with the respect of not doing anything that could put each other at risk, always leaving space, always using a point by, and knowing where the limit is.

Always drive within your means, use your mirrors, and leave the ego at home.Everyone is there for the same reason. All Are gear heads !!!
Well that post brings back memories of NJMP...

That said, for a period last year, at Lime Rock, Mont Tremblant and NJMP, all three in a row, I had somebody in a twin, either paddocked next to me or a car over that wrecked in every event. Two of them were relatively experienced drivers with at least 20+ events and one of them was an instructor with 15+ years of experience. One went off coming out of big bend (Lime Rock) and hit the inside wall, (not totaled but not drive-able) one went off at MT, in the turn 1-2-3 complex, spun, hit the wall, again, not totaled but, well, not drive-able but he drove it anyway, and one at NJMP Thunderbolt, went in too hot at at T4, understeered, put a tire on the grass and hit the inside tire barrier, not totaled but also not drive-able.

It happens.
jjaisli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjaisli For This Useful Post:
GT86Dan (06-23-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #33
avishenoy1

Drives: 2015 FR-S Release Series 1.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I went through the tire wall on the right side of turn 2 at Palmer yesterday. Thankfully I was okay and the only real damage was to the front bumper and my ego.
Attached Images

avishenoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avishenoy1 For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (06-24-2016), Ultramaroon (06-30-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #34
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishenoy1 View Post
I went through the tire wall on the right side of turn 2 at Palmer yesterday. Thankfully I was okay and the only real damage was to the front bumper and my ego.
Haha glad to see you had a good sense of humor about it

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #35
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,484 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I just recently swapped cars with my buddy with a GTA2 stock car for a session. Having never even been 2 wheels off I made a noob mistake of braking at the last possible second in a car I was relatively unfamiliar with going a metric crap ton faster than the BRZ... Flubbed the downshift and toured the grass, but thankfully that was it. Other corners on the track and I could have easily stuffed it in a tire wall.

The only damage came when the track guys pulled me out of the grass and accidentally ripped the tow hook out of the front bumper tube. Which wouldn't have happened if the starter hadn't heatsoaked, lol.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-30-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 02:56 AM   #36
iag48st

Drives: 10Series 0945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racers Line View Post
Had a very bad accident myself. Driving too hard on a rainy day at Laguna Seca. Lost the car in a very simple slide, but stayed on the throttle too long. Car caught traction after a tank slapper and sent the car head on into the wall around 40-45mph. Hit hard enough that my foot slipped off the clutch pedal and my ankle actually bent the entire pedal assembly and damn near folded my foot in half. Engine was torn off its mounts, trans mount sheared, center support bearing exploded, diff pushed out of the subframe. Happy to still be here.

Insurance covered the car completely. Told them exactly what happened, and where, and they still covered the car(I understand this to be a situational instance i.e no one else involved, no property damage, no reported injuries). They ended up not using my GAP insurance either, and I ended up $150 ahead. I don't think it could have gone better, except not crashing altogether. Currently driving a salvaged title(due to hydrolocked engine, now has 2015 engine with 7k) FRS that was picked up for cash, and I purchase track insurance on rainy days. Know your limits, and stick to them. I track 1-2 times month on average but still don't consider myself an experienced enough driver to drive 10/10th's.

Was it track day insurance or your regular auto insurance?
Im about to do my first track day at NJMP and contemplating trackday insurance. I think its around $160 for an agreed value of $20k which is not bad at all. My other more expensive option would be to add a roll bar to my daily drive (nb miata) and not add track day insurance.
iag48st is offline   Reply With Quote