follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #99
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Don't forget that the Rotrex does so more efficiently than the Vortech. The Rotrex doesn't overheat when tracked hard like the Vortech does requiring Gem to go oil fed with his after blowing out the impeller seals IIRC. We don't have track data for our platform for either the JR or KW Rotrex kits and so all we have to go on is what other platform's have experienced.
I don't think that is accurate at all, on the stock pulley he never overheated the SC. The only issue he had was the SC oil being filled to the point of it being blown out. Which was an issue with proper oil level Vortech had to change documentation on.

Unless I am wrong
Old 10-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #100
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I don't think that is accurate at all, on the stock pulley he never overheated the SC. The only issue he had was the SC oil being filled to the point of it being blown out. Which was an issue with proper oil level Vortech had to change documentation on.

Unless I am wrong
You're probably right it's been a while since I read his posts about it.

I just remember him saying he was able to heat soak it to where it was noticeable with enough repeated abuse on track, even before pulley upgrades and seal failures.

It'd be a lot easier to find his posts if he didn't have like 4 usernames.

@Adeets , @Dezoris , do either of you have technical data sheets with compressor maps for the Vortech V-3 H67B used in your cars like this one?
That would make it a lot easier to compare the two SC's accurately (in a separate thread, maybe?)
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #101
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
The rotrex is supposed to be able to produce more mid range power than the vortech design isn't it?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #102
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have never been a fan boy for Vortech. I basically publicly trashed them after my install. But they have proven themselves in terms of support and fixing issues, and reliability its the most popular SC because of it.

The problem has and always been transparency. On these forums, it's so tiring seeing 95% marketing and a sprinkle of data. When you question anything you are either a troll or made to be an idiot.

My feeling is if you peddling a product online or forums have the data to back up your claims. If you did your homework and proper testing then there should be very little to hide.
I didn't mean to pick out anybody running a vortech .
I totally agree with 95% of what you said is true but the ironic thing is while you ask for track tested data a majority of the vortech sponsored cars run a rocketbunny kit, slammed or are parked at home

Sorry sent from my phone
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmsAlSuwaidi For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #103
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
I didn't mean to pick out anybody running a vortech .
I totally agree with 95% of what you said is true but the ironic thing is while you ask for track tested data a majority of the vortech sponsored cars run a rocketbunny kit, slammed or are parked at home

Sorry sent from my phone
Exactly. There are 4, maybe 5 Vortech fitted cars that I know of here that have seen repeated track abuse. Not just a one day event in a novice run group.

I've seen quantifiable track data from three of them: Gem's, Dezoris', and F1Point4's; but Gem is the only one I've seen really beat the shit out of the car and try to break stuff. The rest are driven rather gingerly around the track IMO. No offense, it's just how run groups are structured for driver's just getting into HPDE's.

There is also SpeedFactory's and Chase Bays' Vortech'd track cars, but so far all I've seen are lots of pictures and a few video clips, no extensive uncut track footage or data.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 10-03-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #104
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
this car isn't suitable for track use in stock form, not sure why anyone would expect differently with a supercharger bolted on.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #105
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
this car isn't suitable for track use in stock form, not sure why anyone would expect differently with a supercharger bolted on.
Hopefully whomever goes FI with this car with the intention of tracking it will at least install an oil cooler, bigger radiator, and a stronger clutch as well as provision the brakes and all fluids for track usage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Sonolin (10-03-2013), Turbowned (10-07-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #106
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
My main issue with this kit and the JR kit is the aesthetics. The vortech SC is the nicest looking, just like the AVO kit is the nicest looking turbo.
For a lot of people, that matters
Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #107
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
My main issue with this kit and the JR kit is the aesthetics. The vortech SC is the nicest looking, just like the AVO kit is the nicest looking turbo.
For a lot of people, that matters
We all have our priorities. No one can fault you for yours.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #108
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post

@Adeets , @Dezoris , do either of you have technical data sheets with compressor maps for the Vortech V-3 H67B used in your cars like this one?
That would make it a lot easier to compare the two SC's accurately (in a separate thread, maybe?)

I can't find the image but Vortech posted it a long time ago. @Brian@Vortech @Rick@vortech can you guys link or repost your compressor map?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #109
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
I will wait to see the results form this kit. I remember Swift Racing Tech (the guys who made a great exhaust and then f*** up by not building them fast enough) was going to develop a SC for the twins. I think they said twin screw or something, that was clutched so it could disengage when cruising.

I am excited JR and Krafwerks are working on rotrex sollutions, by next year I will be going FI and I will have a lot of choices to make - which is great
Old 10-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #110
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
The rotrex is supposed to be able to produce more mid range power than the vortech design isn't it?
That has always been the assumption. Clever wording from Rotrex coupled with internet forum jockeys piecing together assumptions from what they read resulted in people thinking that a Rotrex unit would have a better boost curve than every other centrifugal supercharger on the planet, which would give you better low end torque.

It's never been proven, to my knowledge.
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #111
digital_assassin

Drives: 2013 FR-S Matte Orange
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
I just bit. I'm #21 it looks like. One of the selling points for me is it doesn't share the same belt. Rotrex and Kraftwerks are pretty solid so I guess it's time to be an early adopter! Time to start looking for headers...
@Drift-Office - You down to do a tune on this Bob? I currently have EcuTek. Ready to start talking with you about best options for this track build.

Last edited by digital_assassin; 10-04-2013 at 09:18 AM.
digital_assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #112
Adeets
OEDC

Drives: Vortech 8.5psi 274WHP 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I can't find the image but Vortech posted it a long time ago. @Brian@Vortech @Rick@vortech can you guys link or repost your compressor map?
I found it on google images under "BRZ vortech flow graph" but I'm on my phone so can't link it, I did notice max rpm on the rotrex 94 was 100k, but looked like they did data up to 250k
Adeets is offline   Reply With Quote