follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #29
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody602 View Post
I'm more of a tropical kind of holiday guy, but there is most likely some neat stuff to see and do in New Zealand, meet some lovely people such as yourselfs!

Any chance you can get a quote @nzer as to how much it would cost to ship a package the size the unit came in and the aproximate weight with your local post office? I would just ship it directly to @Tech place when buying it and he would have to ship it to me over here in Canada once he made the conversion.
Yep, I can do that although will hold off until @Tech says he'd consider doing it for you. I know he is self-employed so time is money!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #30
GreenPants

Drives: Burnt Orange GT86
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I'm in the middle of doing this procedure myself (literally - 9 / 17 replaced so far).

Although I have a standard soldering iron at home, I wouldn't even bother to attempt this procedure using it. You really need an extremely fine-tip soldering iron for this job (and a good set of very fine tweezers).

Luckily the hardware group at work are all kitted out for this kind of thing and I can do this at lunchtime & after hours.
GreenPants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenPants For This Useful Post:
Brody602 (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #31
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPants View Post
I'm in the middle of doing this procedure myself (literally - 9 / 17 replaced so far).

Although I have a standard soldering iron at home, I wouldn't even bother to attempt this procedure using it. You really need an extremely fine-tip soldering iron for this job (and a good set of very fine tweezers).

Luckily the hardware group at work are all kitted out for this kind of thing and I can do this at lunchtime & after hours.
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure if I'd be able to pull it off, I just have a standard soldering iron with your average size tip. I fix iPhone's in my spare time for extra cash, but there's a little more to soldering tiny led's then there is compared to screwing tiny screws into place and removing small parts lol.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #32
Trap63

Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Unfortunately, I DO know how far it is, I'm just not convinced I would trust any person to do the work on my 500$ Head unit, I might give it a go myself or look around to see if anyone in my area would easily be able to solder new led's on it, but I live in a small town, so people with such a talent are hard to come by.
Try to find any company that manage boards, they can solder them with airflow station. I saw how they have soldered mine...
Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #33
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
Try to find any company that manage boards, they can solder them with airflow station. I saw how they have soldered mine...
So what your saying is, take apart the unit myself and bring all the exposed pieces so they can perform the replacing of leds? I live in a fairly remote area, the nearest place with access to advanced equipment would probably be toronto
Old 08-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #34
Trap63

Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
So what your saying is, take apart the unit myself and bring all the exposed pieces so they can perform the replacing of leds? I live in a fairly remote area, the nearest place with access to advanced equipment would probably be toronto
Better Toronto than Auckland....if we were not so far...I'll do for you..but DHL overseas come and back to Italy are almost 120 USD!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #35
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
Better Toronto than Auckland....if we were not so far...I'll do for you..but DHL overseas come and back to Italy are almost 120 USD!
Well Toronto would be a 1400KM trip to go there and back, so if you think that shipping would cost more then gas/motel/food, I'll gladly take it to to Toronto! LOL
Trap63 (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #36
Tech

Drives: White MT GT86 with TRD extras
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Ummm... All of what they said. Yes you need a very small soldering iron tip and preferably temperature adjustable. I disagree with the hot air station. It simply is just not necessary! Unless you are removing SMD IC's with a 0.8mm pitch or less. Even then I have a way of getting those out successfully by other means.

A good iron, non magnetic tweezers and the right skills are sufficient. If you lived in NZ @Brody602 then I would be happy to do it, but I had someone send me an electronic device to my company from Ireland the other week for me to repair. I didn't even know it was coming and then got a call from customs demanding $192 GST and duty charges before they would release it. I told them to get stuffed and it sat there for weeks until another company picked up the tab before it was released.

So I have a rule now that I do not deal with anything outside of NZ sorry.

The only exception of course is if I was buying something I wanted.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #37
Tech

Tell you what I will do @Brody602. If you are confident enough to pull the unit apart using my DIY post and then just send me the two small PCB's with the LEDs on I will do it. The postage on such small items will be minimal and the value of these components you could state as $20 which would be fair and will not attract fees this end. Also write on the customs declaration: "Circuit boards to be repaired"
I will only charge you $60 NZ which is about 50 canadian and that will include return postage. Hows that for a deal?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #38
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
Tell you what I will do @Brody602. If you are confident enough to pull the unit apart using my DIY post and then just send me the two small PCB's with the LEDs on I will do it. The postage on such small items will be minimal and the value of these components you could state as $20 which would be fair and will not attract fees this end. Also write on the customs declaration: "Circuit boards to be repaired"
I will only charge you $60 NZ which is about 50 canadian and that will include return postage. Hows that for a deal?
That sounds like one hell of deal! I will definitely do this, I shouldn't have any issues pulling it apart, as stated abce I fix iPhones in my spare time. I haven't looked at the DIY too closely, but apl 17 leds are on just two small circuit boards? I really appreciate this. Thanks a million!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #39
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
you just opened up Pandora's box...
Old 08-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #40
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post
Lmao, I'm not sure he'll have time to do it for everyone, and I asked first so I get dibs ;P. Although, he seems like the type to want to help fellow members out . P.s. love the expression you used.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #41
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post
Edit: phone double posted again -_-
Old 08-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #42
Tech

@Brody602 is right.This is not an open invitation to the whole world sorry. I am only doing it at this cheap rate because he is driving the right sort of car haha and realistically it sounds like a bit of a mission for him to get to anywhere else that is close to his location to have it done. I am not really making much out of it, more of a favour than anything. I will use the LEDs that I already have detailed in my post. No changes, no special orders. They are red and not a perfect match, but @nzer is the fussy type so if they were that bad he would of decked me by now haha. Vast improvement of green that's for sure. @Brody602 let me know when you have the unit disassembled and the 2 boards removed and I will PM you my address.