follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
P0351 bad spark plug...

I didn't want to put this post in any of the existing threads because it covers multiple topics...

So as many of you who push your cars know, the P0351 indicating a bad ignition coil plagues our cars and as is most oft the case, when it affected me, it was on cylinder one (luckily the easiest one to get to) and it started off gradually and got worse and worse.

I had ordered a new coil and was waiting on it, when all of a sudden cylinder one stopped firing all together. I naturally assumed that the coil had totally failed.

Not too big a deal since I already had one on order, except with the holidays shipping was delayed and I had to wait.

So after two delays, the coil finally got here yesterday. Swap it out, still have no firing in cyl 1.

As many of you may also be aware, replacing the spark plugs on these cars aren't the simplest of tasks, but since that was my next step in troubleshooting, I set about it.

It REALLY isn't as difficult as it sounds...

take off the skid plate, undo two nuts to the motor mounts and jack up the engine a couple of inches.

For 1 and 3 you'll have to also take off the ignition ECU. it's just 3 10mm bolts and it will slide right between the sound tube to get out of the way.

So I go to take off the spark plug and the damn spark plug socket just turns and turns. (note to self, take the time to find out what fucking size the stock spark plugs are, 14mm rather than the 5/8ths/16mm most are)

So with the correct extra long socket, and a 90 degree set of needle nose I get the spark plug out and it was grenaded...

THANK GOD...no wiring troubleshooting will be necessary...

But this revelation got me to thinking. I know in the ignition coil thread people had mentioned the possibility that the stock spark plugs are too hot.

So I'm thinking that it might very well be the spark plugs that are causing the coils to fail.

Just a thought, well anyways, long story short, replace spark plugs, replace ignition coils and fire it right up, smooth as silk...

Test drive it and no cels...

On another side note, cylinder one spark plug CAN be replaced without jacking up the car. Just in case anyone wants or needs to just replace one spark plug.

What you would need is a long 14mm socket, a two inch wobble extension, a 90 degree needle nose to pull the spark plug out and a 10mm socket to take off the ecu and the coil. I used a 10 inch breaker bar for the socket but you could probably fit a narrow 3/8ths drive in there.

There's no way in hell you'd be able to take off 3 without jacking up the engine though.

350-400 from the dealer? screw that...jacking up the engine for access really isn't that big a deal...although, if you don't feel comfortable doing so, don't, find a competent mechanic or take it to the dealer and bite the bullet...I wouldn't want anyone accusing me of making it seem easier than it is.

It's not all that difficult or time consuming if you know your way around shtuffousesss, but it's not as easy as on most cars either.

Jaden

secondary note to self...get a scope...I would've really liked to have scoped cylinder one with the way that spark plug looked oh well something for down the road I guess...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
8R6 (01-12-2016), GhostOp86 (01-01-2016), humfrz (01-01-2016), JoeC (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Good to know, I was suspecting that maybe my P0351 was caused by old plugs (I'm at 115k km's now). I'll swap the plugs first then look into replacing the coil instead of jumping at both together.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well I was thinking that the plugs cause the coil to go bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Good to know, I was suspecting that maybe my P0351 was caused by old plugs (I'm at 115k km's now). I'll swap the plugs first then look into replacing the coil instead of jumping at both together.
I was thinking that the plugs might cause the coils to go bad rather than the bad plugs causing the p0351 cel..

an easy way to figure that out is to swap out the coil that's coding with one that isn't. If cyl one, you can swap one and three without too much hassle.

Then if the problem follows the coil, you know the coil is bad, but I think that bad or failing or too hot or whatever plugs might be causing the coils to go bad.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm overdue for plugs, so they're getting changed anyway.