follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #1
GT86Asia

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The OFFICIAL CRASH Thread BRZ/FRS/GT86 (Show Us Yours)

Hi All,

Well, almost made it to the 2 month mark with my GT86, until this unfortunate accident happened.

I don't want to bring down anyone, but since there is absolutely no thred like this on the Forum, and since this happened to me, I am starting this Crash thread. So all of you who are out there, have photos of your messed up BRZ/FRS/GT86, put them on his, share your stories and photos. And I hope that it was just a scare, and eveyone inside the car and outside was safe and sound. This is the most important thing afterall.

I'll start with my story.

On the way back home, from a long road trip, the total trip, if completed, would have been over 3,000 miles in 5 days. All the way from North China to South China, and back again basically. The first half of the trip was excellent, had loads of fun driving the car, with everything upgraded basically and just waiting for my supercharger. It ran super smooth on the highways and go up to 215km/hr (133mph) on some straights.

In anycase, got there safely, and after a few days, it was time to head back home. And so the journey continues, took the same roads on the way back. The first day of travel ended, it went well, and the plan was to reach home the second day in the evening.

Well, as we went from south to north, temperatures began from around 28 celcius, and gradually went down to about 5 Celcius. After a toll booth, stopped for gas, filled it up, and continued on the highway. The weather began getting cloudy, and rain started falling. It was not the first time we had driven through rain, on the first half of the trip we also hit rain, and everything went fine.
Well, one one of the photos you will see below, you can see the road was sort of a down sloping straight with a slight left turn at the end of the straight. I remember we weren't going that fast really, but I wasn't looking at the speedometer either, when suddently at the end of the straight section we feel the car somehow slip......we were driving with traction control on, but never felt it kick in at all. The car simply started drifting towards the left, then compensated the steering wheel, and the car began drifting towards the right, and then it was gone, started spinning, I'm still not clear whether we spun once or twice and then we go off the highway into the shoulder and off into the bushes and trees that were next to the shoulder, you can see in the photos. Almost all windows broke off, three airbags went off, and then the car stopped.

Opened up our eyes, and while we were in shock, we did self check to see if we were hurt, but not a single scratch....I guess we were very lucky.

Afterwards, you can see how bad the trunk was bent in, and I saw on the trail the tree responsible for that. It was a tree about 5 inch thick....

Well, time for the photos:
Attached Images

Last edited by GT86Asia; 11-17-2015 at 06:57 AM.
GT86Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GT86Asia For This Useful Post:
steeloyangster (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
GT86Asia

More Photos:
Attached Images

Last edited by GT86Asia; 11-17-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #3
GT86Asia

Well, now that you guys have seen this, What are you thoughts?

The insurance company has declared it a total loss, I have to return the OEM equipment if I want to take off any of the aftermarket parts.

Right now the headers, over pipe, intake, crawford bpb, pulley kit, shocks, chasis brackets, carbon driveshaft, all seem to be okay. The catback exhaust is shot, tailights too, and I need to further check the wheels, which if I keep i'll keep as spare wheelsets. The two rear tires are shot, but the front are okay.

We are in the last part of the paperwork, and well, hopefully everything goes smoothly and get paid by the insurance, so I can buy another GT86, haha.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,940 Times in 1,782 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I puke, cried and i will need psychological therapy. Thanks for the free nightmares
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (01-14-2016), Sarlacc (11-19-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
I'm glad you're OK. If you are running summer tires, their performance tends to drop off below 10C ambient temperature and drops off drastically below 5C. Combine that with rain and there's really nothing that vsc or traction control could have done to help you. Performance tires use larger continuous tread blocks, making them more likely to hydroplane.

Next time around, be more conscious of your tires' abilities relative to your conditions.

-Justin
Justin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin.b For This Useful Post:
Sarlacc (11-19-2015), Tcoat (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I stopped at stop sign. Watched lady in SUV stop.

I proceed through intersection. Almost through and she decides to just drive straight into me. lol

Insurance paid like $5 000. But only put $100 toward a new wheel since they said they could repair it but I wanted new since it is my track day wheel.

Couple months later my moms boyfriend dropped a ladder on the same quarter panel. smh

Old 11-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Freedom

Drives: PEARL WHITE GT86 TRD
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Asia View Post
Well, now that you guys have seen this, What are you thoughts?

The insurance company has declared it a total loss, I have to return the OEM equipment if I want to take off any of the aftermarket parts.

Right now the headers, over pipe, intake, crawford bpb, pulley kit, shocks, chasis brackets, carbon driveshaft, all seem to be okay. The catback exhaust is shot, tailights too, and I need to further check the wheels, which if I keep i'll keep as spare wheelsets. The two rear tires are shot, but the front are okay.

We are in the last part of the paperwork, and well, hopefully everything goes smoothly and get paid by the insurance, so I can buy another GT86, haha.

My thoughts exactly, you're safe and survived to buy another one but sad that it happened.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freedom For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Not the way I wanted to start my morning, but glad everyone is fine.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Do track incidents count?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyfE08o4Jc"]BRZ Splashdown - YouTube[/ame]

Ripped the bumper off.

GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GSpeed For This Useful Post:
steeloyangster (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
GT86Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
I'm glad you're OK. If you are running summer tires, their performance tends to drop off below 10C ambient temperature and drops off drastically below 5C. Combine that with rain and there's really nothing that vsc or traction control could have done to help you. Performance tires use larger continuous tread blocks, making them more likely to hydroplane.

Next time around, be more conscious of your tires' abilities relative to your conditions.

-Justin
Hey Justin,

Thanks for your advice!

Yeah, I actually was using all season tires, for the same reason, weather here is like New York, gets hot in summer, and it snows in the winter, so that's why I didn't want to go all out with summer tires only...but yes, I think the cold, the wet, it was just not a nice combo.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
GT86Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
I stopped at stop sign. Watched lady in SUV stop.

I proceed through intersection. Almost through and she decides to just drive straight into me. lol

Insurance paid like $5 000. But only put $100 toward a new wheel since they said they could repair it but I wanted new since it is my track day wheel.

Couple months later my moms boyfriend dropped a ladder on the same quarter panel. smh

ahh, that sucks, but glad u got it fixed okay. Dooh for your moms bf, haha.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:14 AM   #12
GT86Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpeed View Post
Do track incidents count?

Ripped the bumper off.

woa, I just watched your video, that looks actually really similar how my car lost control, and it spun exactly the same direction....and you can see your front bumper looks very similar to mine!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
GT86Asia

looking at the photos of the car in the woods, just reminds me of end of the world movies, like I am legend and stuff like that...haha. It LOOKS like the end of the world!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Asia View Post
woa, I just watched your video, that looks actually really similar how my car lost control, and it spun exactly the same direction....and you can see your front bumper looks very similar to mine!
Yep, these can be pretty tail-happy cars.
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
totaled