follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2015, 11:52 PM   #1
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2015+ WRX/STI Review: Comparison to FRS/BRZ

Alright everybody…
So as some of you may know, I recently traded in my 2013 FR-S and got a 2016 Subaru STI as its replacement. I wanted to take a few minutes to give my honest thoughts about the car, as I know there are people on this forum that have considered trading their FRS/BRZ in for a new WRX, or even an STI. I’m hoping that this will help those people with their decision.

Keep in mind that a lot of what I say can be taken subjectively, but I like to think of myself as being pretty blunt and honest. I’m not going to sit here and try to defend my purchase or say that this new car is better than the FRS in every way, because it DEFINITELY isn’t. Both vehicles have their strengths and weaknesses and they’re both good cars. Also, keep in mind that I own the STI and there are difference from the WRX. I have driven the new WRX so I’ll give some input on that car as well, but most of what I say will be directed specifically to the STI. So, let’s begin.

Appearance:
When it comes to the styling, I’m a little split in all honesty. I love the styling of the car from the front and the side. The headlights have nice, sharp edges, and the front fenders are wide and bulky. It gives the car a very good look from the front, especially the STI and WRX limited specifically, which has black housing headlights. A lot of people make Evo X references when it comes to the front end, but I don’t see any resemblance aside from the headlights. When I look at it, all I see is a modernized GC8 Impreza STI.

The side looks good to me as well, especially paired off with the large 18” wheels covering the Brembo brakes. You can also see the body lines and flares in the sunlight, and it really sets the car off, especially in World Rally Blue lol

From the rear though, I think Subaru dropped the ball just a little bit. I personally feel like the rear is a little too subdued and doesn’t match the aggressive styling of the front. The rear quarter arches could but a little more pronounced and the tail lights could have sharper edges. Of course, this is just personal opinion, and I still really like the exterior styling.. I just think it could be a little better.

While I do like the styling of the car, the words “sexy” or “beautiful” don’t come to mind, and they never have. I personally don't think the WRX/STI have ever been sexy looking cars, just "cool" and "aggressive". The FRS/BRZ are visually better looking cars in my opinion. The body shape and lines of those cars look nice, and all they really need is a very subtle drop and a nice set of wheels to pull it all together. The STI looks more “aggressive” or “functional” in design to me personally.

Engine/Drivetrain
Call me crazy, but I actually like the EJ platform. It’s not the greatest engine, or the most efficient. It’s definitely dated, but I feel like that’s a double edged sword. The old design uses dated technology, and it doesn’t get the best gas mileage. It also still sports the same 300hp that it has for the past decade here in the U.S. Not that 300hp isn’t enough, but it just shows that it’s largely the same engine from 10+ years ago. To add onto that, I drive mostly in the city, and I get about 21mpg average. To get anything more than that, you really need to baby it, and even then, I’m not sure if you could get much more than that unless you drive more on open roads where you aren’t in traffic as much.

On the other hand though, because it’s such an old platform, we know pretty much everything there is to know about it. We know what can and can’t work, what the weaknesses are, how long they last, etc. I have no reason to ever go past a “stage 2” setup, which is very easily manageable on the EJ, so it works well for me.

Furthermore, the power delivery is much different compared to the FA20 in the WRX. The FA20 makes all of its grunt down low and in the midrange; perfect for a daily driven car in traffic. However, it starts of fall on its face around 5k RPMs. On the other hand, the EJ is a bit more peaky, really getting into the meat of its power around 4k RPMs and pulling to the redline. That’s perfect for me, as I have every intention of tracking this car at places like WSIR, Fontana, and a couple other places which are all within a couple hours of where I’m moving to in California. Plus, I really like the UEL sound on this car; it just suits the car’s character so well.

I have to say though, the FA motor will be a fantastic addition to this car whenever they do it. The FA is a great platform and it’s already been shown that it has plenty of potential and can be made very fast. However, at the end of the day, it’s still a newer platform and there are still unanswered questions, especially in terms of longevity. I’m sure the engine will perform beautifully still as it ages, provided its cared for, but I opted to go with the platform that has been around for years and that I’m familiar with.

The gearbox in the STI is very good. It’s not quite as nice as the FRS/BRZ, but it’s still very good. Good engagement and precise; you can tell when it’s in gear. The WRX on the other hand, left quite a bit to desire in my opinion. It’s better feeling than the previous generation 5spd, but there’s so much play, that it just feels sloppy to me, even with the optional short shifter. A couple of bushings and misc. items really help tighten it all up.

In regards to the rest of the drivetrain, I honestly can’t distinguish much of any difference between the WRX and STI in simply every day driving. I simply leave the diff setting in auto and I didn’t notice anything that stood out from the WRX during my daily commute. I’m sure the differences and benefits of the differentials on the STI will reveal themselves when the car sees some track time.

Interior:
The interior is a major step up over the previous generation. The last model was largely comprised of hard plastic and it felt like the interior came straight recycled plastics of a playground playhouse. The dash is all soft touch material, as is the whole upper portion of the door panels. Add to that, the dash design and additional trim pieces, and the car feels more expensive on the inside, which is nice, but it’s not on par with cars like the GTI/Golf R, for instance.

The steering wheel is absolutely fantastic! Nice and thick and great materials, giving it a great feel and it all fits beautifully in your hands. The flat bottom is very nice too, considering the fact that you sit quite a bit higher in this car, compared to the last generation and definitely the twins. It’s not like a truck or anything, but you notice it when you first get into the car. I’m 5’10” and I can see over the dash and see the hood scoop with the seat in it’s lowest position.

Speaking of seats, these seats are much nicer than the last generation too. They aren’t as comfortable as the FRS/BRZ seats, but they’re still good. The bolsters are nice, though they aren’t as deep as say the Recaro seats in the Evo X. If I had one complaint, it would be that they don’t have very much lower lumbar support. They aren’t uncomfortable, but on my nearly 2 hour drive home from the dealership, I started to notice a little bit towards the end of the trip.

Speaking of trips, you’ll be happy to know that you can fit people in the back seat without having to chop their legs off like in the FRS/BRZ. As I mentioned before, I’m 5’10”, and you can see how much leg room there is in the back seat, which is also quite comfortable and still retains a very good amount of headroom for rear passengers.

I do like the screen they added on the top of the dash. You can toggle through a variety of different screens and can monitor things like boost, acceleration %, MPG, etc. A quick note though: On the WRX, you have the capability of monitoring engine oil temperature on that screen, where the STI does not have that capability. I was a little bummed to discover that, but I guess Subaru decided not to fit the capability to the EJ engine on the STI. You can always add an aftermarket gauge or monitor via a Cobb AP.

In terms of comfort and noise, the WRX and STI are both noticeably better than the FRS/BRZ. The WRX is the best, being quite compliant and pretty quiet as you drive down the road or highway. The STI is a bit more firm and a bit louder, especially given the shorter gearing compared to the 6spd in the WRX. I can’t recall exactly, but 75mph is a touch over 3k RPMs in the STI. I’d say that the WRX and STI are similar to the Focus ST, which is a slight step below the GTI in terms of road noise and comfort.

Now, the sound system. I’m not even sure where to begin. I’m not one who cares much about car stereos, but the one in this car leaves a lot to be desired. Keep in mind, I have the 2016, which comes standard with the Star Link system. It looks nice, but it needs some work. It takes forever to pair bluetooth when getting into the car. The sound needs to be at like 75% of its max to even hear it over the road noise as you drive down the highway. The volume also auto adjusts between high speed and low speed driving, which is quite annoying because it turns itself way down when you get off a freeway and get back onto normal roads.

One major plus though is that on the 2016, the rearview camera is displayed on the stereo screen, rather than the smaller screen further away like the 2015MY did. The camera is clear and utilizes guidelines to help assist with reversing into tight parking spaces.

I think the OEM Audio+ would be a good addition to this car, but we’ll see. I’d honestly take the FRS/BRZ sound system over this car, and that’s saying quite a bit, cause I didn’t think that was anything special either.

Steering/Chassis/Brakes
The steering on the STI is actually one of my favorite things about it. It’s a hydraulic assisted system, and it feels great. It has a good, hefty weight to it and is very quick and direct. Personally, I like it better than the FRS/BRZ. That car didn’t have bad steering at all; it was quite good. My only complaint was that it was a bit light in weight, but it had a very direct feel and was communicative.

The WRX uses an electric assist and feels fairly similar to the FRS/BRZ, though I think the twins beat the WRX in terms of communication to the road. The WRX/STI definitely stepped up in terms of steering from the last generation, and I think it’s all because of the BRZ. Subaru definitely learned a lot from that car and applied it to these new 15+ cars, and it shows. The chassis and suspension is stiffer from the last generation, and they feel so much better. The cars have very minimal body roll and are very confidence inspiring, especially when you factor in the traction from the AWD system in these cars. These large sedans no longer feel sloppy and slow to react. The cars are much more immediate and it’s about time.

While the car feels much better it still doesn’t have the same feel that you get from a light, agile, RWD coupe. The twins still feel more connected and more immediate to your inputs. I attribute that to the fact the car weighs about 600lbs less and has a lot less mass to carry. There’s just something about a well-balance FR car that is so much fun and engaging to drive, and while these new WRX/STIs are good, they’ll never give the same feeling the twins do when driving it.

Why the STI over the WRX?
Between 2 Nissan 240x’s, a 2012 WRX, and my FRS, I’ve spent damn near $50,000 in aftermarket modifications on cars. It’s all in good fun and part of the hobby, but I don’t care to spend that much money on cars anymore. I wanted something more complete from the factory, which would help eliminate possible excuses I may have down the road to modify the car. Because I got the STI, I don’t need to do a big brake kit, drivetrain upgrades, add a bunch of cosmetic pieces etc., because the STI comes with all of it from the factory.

I’ll still modify it, because that’s just the way things are, but as of right now, the only things I have planned within the next 6 months are: Brake pads, brake fluid, oil cooler, and an AOS (air oil separator). I don’t feel a need for more power or crazy suspension modifications, and it just shows that the STI is doing exactly what I wanted it to do for me. This also means less things to worry about when it comes time to take the car to the track, as it’s pretty much good to go from the factory.

As much as I love the STI though, I’ll still recommend the WRX over it to pretty much anybody, any day of the week. Why? Because the STI is a niche car, just like the FRS/BRZ is. If you want specifically what the STI has to offer and don’t want to spend 20k+ changing a bunch of things, it’s a fantastic option. If you just want a great all around car that you can play with every now and then and have fun with, the WRX is perfect. It offers so much for a lot less than the STI, and to the vast majority of potential customers, it does everything they could possibly want/need. I also think it’s much better value for the money over the STI at the end of the day in my opinion.

Verdict:

FRS/BRZ: In terms of driver engagement, you simply can’t beat this car, especially at this price level. It’s a great overall car and it serves as a fantastic canvas to turn into your own. If your only complaint with this car is the lower power, I would STRONGLY suggest adding power through forced induction or other means before trading it in for a WRX/STI, because adding that extra 50 or so hp really transforms this car. If you want or need the extra space, comfort, or practicality, then maybe it’s worth considering.

WRX: This car screams bang for buck. It’s the same price as the FRS/BRZ and offers so much more in terms of power, comfort, practicality, cargo space etc. It isn’t as engaging or direct of a car as the FRS/BRZ, but in my opinion, it’s the ultimate every day car for under $30k. For a large majority of people, this car can do everything you could possibly want a car to do: 4 doors, rear seats, turbo power, all wheel drive, lots of space, and the list goes on. It really is a great car and a massive improvement over the last model.

STI: The ultimate, no compromise car. It sacrifices gas mileage, road noise/comfort for the most out of the box performance. In my opinion, this is a niche car for a niche buyer; one that just wants to buy the car, add a couple small things, and drive it as is. If you’re looking for a car that is essentially a ready to go car from the factory, this is the one. I would definitely suggest driving the WRX before just buying one of these though, as you may come to realize the WRX is so good that this car may not be worth the $8k+ premium. However, for the people who want specifically what this car offers, it’s definitely worth the extra money.

Hopefully everybody enjoyed this and got some good information out of this; especially those who are actually considering going this direction. As I said, I think that I’m pretty honest and I try to remain as unbiased as possible. The STI is an awesome car, and I love it.. but it isn’t for everybody. The WRX is plenty good, and the FRS/BRZ are still fantastic cars in their own ways. They all do different things very well. It’s just a matter of figuring out what you want/need from your car.

If anybody has any questions regarding this topic, please feel free to post them here and I’ll answer to the best of my abilities.

Last edited by TylerLieberman; 07-19-2015 at 12:05 AM.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
10Stars (07-19-2015), 8R6 (07-11-2016), AznBRZer (07-20-2015), bedabi (07-21-2015), Bergen23 (07-28-2015), BigFatFlip (08-19-2015), daiheadjai (07-19-2015), DGM33 (07-19-2015), El Guapo (12-04-2015), imnotsureaboutbrz (11-25-2017), jcw99 (12-31-2016), Jdogg88 (07-19-2015), joe strummer (11-25-2015), JoeC (06-24-2019), Kimsey47 (11-25-2015), KPR10 (07-21-2015), malave7567 (07-20-2015), MokSpeed (07-22-2015), Mr.Impreza (12-31-2016), Namuna (08-19-2015), NyC Zn6 (07-20-2015), olsonpg (07-19-2015), ramiram1984 (07-27-2015), Ramster (07-21-2015), raven1231 (07-19-2015), Reggaeboyz (08-09-2015), ScoobsMcGee (07-20-2015), soulreapersteve (07-19-2015), Tcoat (07-19-2015), thill (07-20-2015), TofuJoe (07-20-2016), tyrantcf (07-19-2015), xuimod (11-23-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 12:28 AM   #2
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Your BRZ was gorgeous and cant wait to see what you do to the STI. We wont be mad if you post your build under the car journal section
olsonpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olsonpg For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 01:18 AM   #3
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,156 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You should have posted the review in this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=66340&page=12
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
You should have posted the review in this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=66340&page=12
I wanted to separate it from that discussion. I've posted there a few times and even posted a link to this topic from that one.

There's quite a few pages of nonsense in that topic and I wanted to start off fresh.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
ripper

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
nice writeup and agree with most of what you wrote.

i own both the '04 sti and '13 brz. the only thing i'll add is that i wasn't close to satisfied with the brz power delivery until i installed the uel header with stage 2 e85 tune. car is now a keeper...

i'm not a fan of the new sti's especially because of the looks and the dated original power plant. but..... one more thing to consider for prospective wrx vs. sti buyers is that everything on the sti is way more beefed up. brakes, tranny, clutch, which all support the more powerful motor. make any power modifications to a wrx and you'll have to follow suit with everything else. that bill starts to add up and soon enough you should have just bought the sti to begin with.

note on the new sti appearance. i was really excited by the concept drawings but when it finally came out the only thing that was close was the front end. everything else looked like a fat civic. makes me kind of wish they had stuck with the hatchback.

all in all great little cars and lots of fun to drive no matter what choice you make.
ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
If anybody has any questions regarding this topic, please feel free to post them here and I’ll answer to the best of my abilities.
Thanks for the great post. How STI is compared with FRS on handling? Is it better or same? Same question for brakes.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Havent driven the sti but I agree completely with your frs and wrx comparison. I'll be picking up my 2016 DGM WRX soon myself. Has an ETA of 8/5/15 but I'm hoping for sooner.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper View Post
nice writeup and agree with most of what you wrote.

i own both the '04 sti and '13 brz. the only thing i'll add is that i wasn't close to satisfied with the brz power delivery until i installed the uel header with stage 2 e85 tune. car is now a keeper...

i'm not a fan of the new sti's especially because of the looks and the dated original power plant. but..... one more thing to consider for prospective wrx vs. sti buyers is that everything on the sti is way more beefed up. brakes, tranny, clutch, which all support the more powerful motor. make any power modifications to a wrx and you'll have to follow suit with everything else. that bill starts to add up and soon enough you should have just bought the sti to begin with.

note on the new sti appearance. i was really excited by the concept drawings but when it finally came out the only thing that was close was the front end. everything else looked like a fat civic. makes me kind of wish they had stuck with the hatchback.

all in all great little cars and lots of fun to drive no matter what choice you make.
The new wrx has been shown to hold additional power fine without other modifications. Obviously if you go too high it will become a problem though.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Thanks for the great post. How STI is compared with FRS on handling? Is it better or same? Same question for brakes.
The handling is hard to compare because the two vehicles are very different. The FRS is light and nimble and highly maneuverable. The STI on the other hand, feels quick, but planted. They're both very good, but for different reasons.

In terms of brakes, the STI Brembo brakes are much better than the FRS brakes. The pedal feel is a bit soft/vague, but the brakes themselves are fantastic.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Great review... Would you say the new STI rides significantly better than the previous one?
I rode in a friend's previous gen STI and noticed the ride was much stiffer over bumps than my BRZ over the exact same bumps (possibly to control roll and dive in the taller, heavier car).
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Nice writeup. Agree on everything.
In my case I needed the second car for commuting and family, so I went with the WRX, but loaded up with every factory option and dealer option except the STI skirts. I added an HT autos type front spoiler afterward. If I didn't already have a sports car as a second vehicle, I'd have spent the extra money on the STI.
Also, I'm getting amazing fuel economy.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #12
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Great review... Would you say the new STI rides significantly better than the previous one?
I rode in a friend's previous gen STI and noticed the ride was much stiffer over bumps than my BRZ over the exact same bumps (possibly to control roll and dive in the taller, heavier car).
The ride in the STI is firm, but I'll still definitely say it's more comfortable than my FRS was, even in stock suspension. The WRX is noticeably even better than that, feeling very compliant on the road. I would take the WRX or the STI on a long distance drive over the FRS any day.

I honestly don't really remember the ride quality much of my old wrx, as I got rid of that car over 2 years ago. I can tell you though that the /chassis & steering of this new car is much better than the old one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (07-19-2015), raven1231 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #13
ripper

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
The new wrx has been shown to hold additional power fine without other modifications. Obviously if you go too high it will become a problem though.
you are correct. the fa20dit is a pretty damn good motor. wish they would release the 2.5 version for the sti....
ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ripper For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #14
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper View Post
you are correct. the fa20dit is a pretty damn good motor. wish they would release the 2.5 version for the sti....
I thought about that, but honestly I'm not sure what to think. What happens if it's a flop? Everything is just speculation regarding the upcoming engine so there is always the chance that it isn't very good or as good as people hope.

That's part of the appeal to the EJ to me: we already know everything there is to it. The information is all out there and I know the car can last 100k+ miles with proper upkeep and not run into any major issues during that period.

I guess it's just a coin flip you have to be willing to make.