follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
paintdude258

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Questions & Opinions on Painting BRZ Roof

Whats going on guys!! Just recently got my hands on a Sterling Silver BRZ & needless to say the modification are following quickly.

My questions for you guys is I'm looking to add some contrast on the roof of the car, but I'm having trouble 1. finding many BRZs that have it done, and 2. the best route to go on doing the color.

The picture below is the closest I've found to what I'm looking at doing, but i only want to do the roof. I'm not at all experienced with vinyl, and know it can be a PITA. I have quite a bit of experience with Plasti dip, as this was what i was originally looking at doing it with. But after reading around, I've found that doing stripes and straight lines with the dip is not the easiest task in the world.

1. Whats your opinion on the black "roof stripes"
2. Your take on the best method, and, or how hard getting an even straight line with vinyl will be.

This forum ROCKS. So glad to have the forums massive wealth of knowledge.

Thanks,
Blake

paintdude258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
bumppinKota

Drives: FRS!!!
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
stick to high quality vinyl. if you dont like it you could always remove it. only reason why i say high quality vinyl as its easier to apply and removes cleaner if you happen to want to remove it.
bumppinKota is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bumppinKota For This Useful Post:
LucidMomentum (06-19-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
paintdude258

As easy as plasti dip is, I have definitely decided against. I've done quite a few bolt on and aesthetic mods in the past, but I am all about trying out, and learning new tricks of the trade. So my first time trying vinyl should be interesting. Thanks for the response bumpinkotta. Good to know quality vinyl is worth the money.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
bumppinKota

Brands like Avery and 3m have some cool tech in their vinyl. Top dollar Avery vinyl will have conformability and air release as well as pressure sensitivity. The pressure sensitivity is awesome as it won't stick hard until you apply pressure. The conformability allows it to follow curves easier. Air release are super tiny holes in the vinyl that allow trapped air out with out having to lift the vinyl all the way back to that spot. Just take your time go slow. If I have to offer one piece of advice I would say to start in the middle of the roof and work either towards the driver or passenger door. When my buddies and I did this we did it the hard way but with the good vinyl I only got 1 winkle which as the sun hits it should shrink away on its own.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
paintdude258

Heck ya, thanks for the info! Random question, how do you thank people on this forum? I can't find a button for it for the life of me!
Old 06-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
bumppinKota

Gotta have 10 post
Old 06-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
should just try and buy a sheet of vinyl (5'x5') to do a roof on our cars. then cut and see how you like it. you can also use knifeless tape to help shape the design you want so you dont have to use a razor blade.

that said, i think that car looks tacky and cheap...
Old 06-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
BlueSky

Drives: 2015 Aozora BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R6 View Post
should just try and buy a sheet of vinyl (5'x5') to do a roof on our cars. then cut and see how you like it. you can also use knifeless tape to help shape the design you want so you dont have to use a razor blade.

that said, i think that car looks tacky and cheap...

I didn't think this one looked too bad
I actually was thinking of doing a single strip off centered, but to lazy

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUfVYDcsQsA"]How To Vinyl Wrap a Car Roof - Subaru BRZ - YouTube[/ame]
BlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
paintdude258

The 10 post thing makes sense! I most definitely think the trunk and hood stripes look tacky! But I just feel like the roof needs something. But hey, to each his own.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
dubbrand

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow... Thats a lot of stretching in that video and for a roof you dont need to stretch anything. I did my hood, roof and trunk by myself. Use primer for around the edges. That'll prevent the edges from peeling. I never claybar anything. Just wash it and clean it with water/rubbing alcohol. I think its easier to start on either the passenger or driver side. Those guys started in the middle and had to fuck around with all that extra loose vinyl heating and pulling. You dont need to do that. If you start at one side you can do 5-8 inches at a time, from windshield to back window and not stretch it at all and be done with it in about an hour. You can roll the backing of the vinyl underneath and it will create a little bridge thing to prevent the vinyl from sticking to the car when you don't want it to. I dont know what they were doing spraying the top. Maybe trying to prevent scratches I guess. Just get a squeegee with felt on the end. 3M makes the air release vinyl too. Its awesome. You can pick it up cheap on eBay.
dubbrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, frs, plasti dip, roof stripes, vinyl