follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
KungFuWaffle
Senior Member
 
KungFuWaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: Whiteout
Location: Irvine
Posts: 564
Thanks: 12
Thanked 106 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
CEL and hard downshift to 1st(AT)

I made a muffler delete just as Berk's was made. Sounded great but he drone started to get to me. So I put a resonator in the middle between the two tips similar to Work's exhale AB-R exhaust. After I left the shop it was fine and everything sounded perfect barely any drone. By now the next day after install I have a CEL and when I downshift from 2nd to 1st its like a small jerk (Automatic transmission). This happened before, when I put in a K&N drop in filter but the symptoms were right away, But went away the next day. Any ideas on whats going on? I barely have 6000 miles.
KungFuWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Tye300
Senior Member
 
Tye300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 883
Thanks: 548
Thanked 599 Times in 283 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Did you try pulling the code?
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
KungFuWaffle
Senior Member
 
KungFuWaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: Whiteout
Location: Irvine
Posts: 564
Thanks: 12
Thanked 106 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I would've but don't have a device or anything to pull it.
KungFuWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 1,996
Thanks: 1,985
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Just don't initiate a downshift to 1st unless you're moving above 20 mph
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
KungFuWaffle
Senior Member
 
KungFuWaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: Whiteout
Location: Irvine
Posts: 564
Thanks: 12
Thanked 106 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Its whenever I come to a stop under (10-15 ) mph like a stop sign or a light.
KungFuWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Krovi
Senior Member
 
Krovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: '14 Midnight Purple FR-S
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 142
Thanks: 52
Thanked 210 Times in 55 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle View Post
(Automatic transmission)

Well...
Krovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
steve99
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FT86
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,996
Thanks: 1,035
Thanked 4,998 Times in 2,985 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle View Post
I made a muffler delete just as Berk's was made. Sounded great but he drone started to get to me. So I put a resonator in the middle between the two tips similar to Work's exhale AB-R exhaust. After I left the shop it was fine and everything sounded perfect barely any drone. By now the next day after install I have a CEL and when I downshift from 2nd to 1st its like a small jerk (Automatic transmission). This happened before, when I put in a K&N drop in filter but the symptoms were right away, But went away the next day. Any ideas on whats going on? I barely have 6000 miles.
neither a drop in filter or catback exhaust changes should cause cel code. unless something was damaged or dislodged during install ie maf sensor or hoses causing air leak or connections , O2 sensors are miles away from catback.

you need to get the code it may be totally unrelated to your mods. but car should not be getting cel light, put it back to stock tak it back to dealer
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
KungFuWaffle
Senior Member
 
KungFuWaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: Whiteout
Location: Irvine
Posts: 564
Thanks: 12
Thanked 106 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
But wouldn't the CEL go on right after the install of the resonated muffler delete? Not a day later?
KungFuWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 1,996
Thanks: 1,985
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle View Post
Its whenever I come to a stop under (10-15 ) mph like a stop sign or a light.
This is a useless downshift. Let the tranny and TQ converter do it for you with less jerkiness.

-fellow AT driver

Sent from my OnePlus One
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat
 
chaoskaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: CWP S.B.
Location: LasVegas
Posts: 3,027
Thanks: 4,720
Thanked 1,294 Times in 874 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Why are ppl trying to downshift into 1st is beyond my....
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
KungFuWaffle
Senior Member
 
KungFuWaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: Whiteout
Location: Irvine
Posts: 564
Thanks: 12
Thanked 106 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm not downshifting it, the transmission downshifts it.... I'm not using the manual mode( or whatever the thing is called). When I approach a stop around 5-10 it'll go into 1st I'm assuming and I feel that jerk
KungFuWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
KungFuWaffle
Senior Member
 
KungFuWaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: Whiteout
Location: Irvine
Posts: 564
Thanks: 12
Thanked 106 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Update its 2nd gear my bad
KungFuWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
steve99
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FT86
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,996
Thanks: 1,035
Thanked 4,998 Times in 2,985 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle View Post
But wouldn't the CEL go on right after the install of the resonated muffler delete? Not a day later?
not necessarily for example the cat efficiency cel code P0420 can take a week to appear as the ecu compares reading from the two 02 to determine if cat is working to spec. Maf cels can be like that as well its got to be outside certain limits for a period of time.

it may also be a transmission code, or cam actuator code who knows but best to get it sorted before any damage done its under warantee take it to dealer (remove your mods first)
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
KungFuWaffle
Senior Member
 
KungFuWaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: Whiteout
Location: Irvine
Posts: 564
Thanks: 12
Thanked 106 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So unbolt my muffler delete put OEM back and should I take out the k&n filter or just leave it
KungFuWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rev match downshift possible with OFT Simon99 Software Tuning 24 08-17-2014 04:20 PM
downshift to first swpbrz Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 13 05-07-2014 08:33 PM
6th to 5th Downshift Crunch jcat5150 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 1 04-17-2014 03:41 PM
Rough Downshift (bog?) from 3rd to 2nd... enwave Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 8 08-29-2013 12:01 PM
Downshift rattle?? driftartist Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 17 08-03-2013 10:00 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.