follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
MAPerformance

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
New AEM E85 310LPH Drop In Fuel Pump

Hey guys, I posted this in the engine section, but it could be useful for us boosted folks as well.

Just got word from AEM that they have released their new E85 compatible, 310LPH drop in fuel pump for the FRS/BRZ platform. This is pretty exciting news!

Here are some of the features:

• Tested and compatible with ethanol fuels up to E100, methanol fuels up to M100 and all types of gasoline
  • Designed for high output naturally aspirated and forced induction EFI vehicles
  • Each pump is tested to flow 310 lph @ 43 PSI
  • Compact body (39mm diameter x 65mm length)
  • Offset inlet design eases installation
  • Kit includes fuel pump, wiring harness, O-rings and pre filter
PM me for more info and pricing
MAPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAPerformance For This Useful Post:
lbroskee (06-03-2014), NorCal_Guy (10-04-2014), The Racers Line (06-03-2014), zoth (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Can you define "drop in"? Does that involve any cutting or drilling or zip tieing? Any pics installed in a BRZ/FR-S fuel pump bucket?
Old 06-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
MAPerformance

Fantastic question! I know for sure it's not plug and play. The wires will need to be soldered. I don't know what modifications are required to the bucket. Let me reach out to them to see if they have any detailed installed pics of one installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Can you define "drop in"? Does that involve any cutting or drilling or zip tieing? Any pics installed in a BRZ/FR-S fuel pump bucket?
Old 06-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I saw they had both a 310 and a 320 pump, what's the difference, besides the 10lph...
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Not to rain in anyone's parade, just asking questions, but how reliable are these AEM pumps? Ever single "drop in" pump out there comes from the same factory in China (I found the DW265c in alibaba, the exact one sold by DW http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/109...FUEL_PUMP.html, or here http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/dw265.html). They all look similar, FBM branded pumps, speed by design branded pumps (they discontinued them based on failures and poor quality). Aeromotive looks similar to this one and the aeromotives are iffy.

Again, just asking the question, is this pump manufactured in USA? Walbro seems to be the only one for certain built here and with proven quality.

Also, for anyone interested, it might be possible to use the DW65c install kit and that includes plug and play harness.

Seems like it might be a pretty good drop in based on size specs..

DW65c (known drop in)

AEM 310

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 06-03-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Cross (09-04-2015), mwjcyber (10-04-2014), woode (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
MAPerformance

The 320 is a completely different size. This 310 is a "shorty" style pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
I saw they had both a 310 and a 320 pump, what's the difference, besides the 10lph...
Old 06-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
MAPerformance

This might be true. But I know for a fact that since these AEM pumps have come out (about a year) we have sold well over 100 pumps, mainly to the Evo community. Not one has come back with a single failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Not to rain in anyone's parade, just asking questions, but how reliable are these AEM pumps? Ever single "drop in" pump out there comes from the same factory in China (I found the DW265c in alibaba, the exact one sold by DW http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/109...FUEL_PUMP.html, or here http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/dw265.html). They all look similar, FBM branded pumps, speed by design branded pumps. Aeromotive looks similar to this one and the aeromotives are iffy.

Again, just asking the question, is this pump manufactured in USA? Walbro seems to be the only one for certain built here and with proven quality.

Also, for anyone interested, it might be possible to use the DW65c install kit and that includes plug and play harness.

Seems like it might be a pretty good drop in based on size specs..

DW65c (known drop in)

AEM 310

The Following User Says Thank You to MAPerformance For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Yeah the base makes me think of a DW65C pump. Most of these are Denso knock offs made in china. Someone ought to do a real flow comparison between them. I have some photos laying around somewhere of a DW65, FBM, and Denso showing differences in production quality. A nice quality drop in pump that could sustain 500-600WHP would be superb but most of the pumps LPH seems to be stretched a bit =(

Also I don't see why DW is the only company to manage to make a plug and play harness... luckily since most of the pumps are knock offs they can directly swap. I would love to know how this actually mounts into the canister as I don't see a rubber base to hold it in the canister like the DW install kit has.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Yeah the base makes me think of a DW65C pump. Most of these are Denso knock offs made in china. Someone ought to do a real flow comparison between them. I have some photos laying around somewhere of a DW65, FBM, and Denso showing differences in production quality. A nice quality drop in pump that could sustain 500-600WHP would be superb but most of the pumps LPH seems to be stretched a bit =(

Also I don't see why DW is the only company to manage to make a plug and play harness... luckily since most of the pumps are knock offs they can directly swap. I would love to know how this actually mounts into the canister as I don't see a rubber base to hold it in the canister like the DW install kit has.
Most probably will be held in place by the pressure made clicking the canister shut.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #10
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If someone is willing t make a kit for the AEM, I will be the first to send my money
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
DesertFrs

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series AVO Turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post

My understanding is that they are made here in California put don't quote me on it.
AVO STG1 Turbo w/ 8PSI Actuator, AVO 3" Catless Turbo Back Exhaust, AVO Air Filter, ACT 6 Puck Clutch, DW65c Fuel Pump, 900cc DW Injectors, Grimmspeed EBC, Delicious Tuning Custom Tune, 0W-20 Purol, AEM Strutbar, GrimmSpeed Hood Struts, Mann Engineering Coilovers, RacerX UCA, Gram Lights 57Xtreme, 275/35/18 BfGoodrich G-Sport Comp2 Tires, MV Designz Aero Kit, Beatsonic Shark Fin & Roof Spoiler, Five Axis Trunk Spoiler, OEMAudioPlus Reference 400
DesertFrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How does this benefit over stock pump?
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #13
spdbydesign

Drives: 2010 Nissan GTR
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPerformance View Post
This might be true. But I know for a fact that since these AEM pumps have come out (about a year) we have sold well over 100 pumps, mainly to the Evo community. Not one has come back with a single failure.
I wasn't going to comment, but after fielding several PM's....I'll share my experience.

All of these pumps are made in China, as I'm well aware of the supplier. We have an office just outside of Shanghai, and I'm extremely well connected in the Asian manufacturing scene.

We originally looked at their new "E85 Compatible pumps" a year ago, but I passed due to the the poor quality control experiences we had with their other designs.

We now import genuine Denso Racing Pump from Japan, the ones everyone attempts to copy in China.

I hope you aren't offended MAP performance, as I'm not here to take a shot at your company in any way. Like you, our experience was initially positive....but we saw extremely high failure rates within 12 months of use.

I directly imported about 1200 of these style fuel pumps in 2012-2013, and the failure rates were obscene by the time we cut the cord on the supplier.

I just felt it important to clear the air, based on our experiences.

The beauty of the forums are the communal aspect, and the ability to exchange information. I'd be doing an injustice not to comment, and have the upmost respect for your desire to offer the best products to your customers.

I hope your experience is different, and you have better luck than we. It was an extremely costly venture for our customers and our company.

Chris

Last edited by spdbydesign; 06-06-2014 at 10:11 PM.
spdbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spdbydesign For This Useful Post:
DoctorNick (10-04-2014), DriftinFRS (10-03-2014), Sportsguy83 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 03:03 AM   #14
MAPerformance

None taken man. I agree, forums should be full of helpful information. We have a lot of Evo customers running these without issues, but you are correct, it's only been about a year since they have been out. I really hope they pull through, because the idea is great. Trust me, I will chime in If we too start seeing such a high failure rate as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbydesign View Post
I wasn't going to comment, but after fielding several PM's....I'll share my experience.

All of these pumps are made in China, as I'm well aware of the supplier. We have an office just outside of Shanghai, and I'm extremely well connected in the Asian manufacturing scene.

We originally looked at their new "E85 Compatible pumps" a year ago, but I passed due to the the poor quality control experiences we had with their other designs.

We now import genuine Denso Racing Pump from Japan, the ones everyone attempts to copy in China.

I hope you aren't offended MAP performance, as I'm not here to take a shot at your company in any way. Like you, our experience was initially positive....but we saw extremely high failure rates within 12 months of use.

I directly imported about 1200 of these style fuel pumps in 2012-2013, and the failure rates were obscene by the time we cut the cord on the supplier.

I just felt it important to clear the air, based on our experiences.

The beauty of the forums are the communal aspect, and the ability to exchange information. I'd be doing an injustice not to comment, and have the upmost respect for your desire to offer the best products to your customers.

I hope your experience is different, and you have better luck than we. It was an extremely costly venture for our customers and our company.

Chris
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAPerformance For This Useful Post:
DriftinFRS (10-03-2014), Sportsguy83 (06-07-2014), zoth (06-08-2014)