follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Corradooo

Drives: Storm trooper FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Smog check and visual inspection help

hey guys i dont know if anyone can or would even be willing to help me out here but i figured id ask. I just recently moved to the bay area from NY and i drove my FRS across. Its now come to the point where i need to register my car here in CA, but i need a smog check and visual inspection. Me being from NY, I'm not too sure how things work over here. I knew somebody who worked at a shop who would write me a pass on my car even if it may not be fully passable for a reasonable fee. I am wondering if anybody on here works at a place or knows of a place that may be able to help me out. I was unable to bring my stock exhaust parts across, and my other option is to remove my roommates stock headers,front pipe, muffler, and CAI from her BRZ, install it on mine to smog the car, then swap all the parts back, and Id rather not go through the fuss if I can pay somebody a little extra to help me out. I know this is a long shot, especially posting here on the forum, and please dont respond with why i shouldnt do this legally or morally. It needs to be done one way or another. If you would feel more comfortable, you can text me at 631 867 8067. My name is chris. I really appreciate any help anybody would be able to offer
Corradooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Don't know any places in SF that will give yah that kind of hook-up. good luck though.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Lets be smart and not post info like this in public. Putting out names of "hook-ups" never ends well. Just use PM or text is all Im saying

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
jonbonazza (05-18-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Corradooo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Lets be smart and not post info like this in public. Putting out names of "hook-ups" never ends well. Just use PM or text is all Im saying

That's why I added my phone number and asked for a text. Even a PM might be iffy for some people. I never intended for it to be posted public, like I said, I doubt I'll even get an answer at all, but it was worth a shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
Corradooo

Garage
Anybody? :/

Old 05-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Just put em back to stock. Itll take 2 hours max if that
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
Corradooo

Garage
Actually it would be much more than that. Jack up my roommates brand new car, take her exhaust off, drop the car push it out the garage, jack my car up, switch the entire exhaust, get the car smogged, jack up my car pull the exhaust, switch back to mine, drop the car, push hers back up the driveway, jack it up, put her exhaust back on. To go pay 26 bucks and spend 20 min smog checking.

If that is my last resort and what it comes down to, I have no choice. If I can possibly pay somebody 100 bucks and maybe they can help me out or give me some pointers that would be awesome. Even if I could put my muffler and front pipe on and leave my header cat off and pass visual would be a great help, I have my stock muffler and front pipe, but don't have my stock headers or overpipe here, they're in NY, I couldn't fit them in the car with all my stuff when I drive across to move.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
you don't have to change back to stock muffler to pass in CA. You only need to go back to stock FP, stock header and stock air box. over pipe also does nothing for smog, but if you're changing header and FP you are already there and might as well to ensure you'll pass visual.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
You'd be paying someone anywhere from $200-$500 to "help you out". $200 being if they like you. Honestly, it would be a lot less hassel than trying to find someone to just swap it all out. You'll have to do it now and then you are good for what? 6 years? I can't remember. At that point, you have plenty of time to find someone to "help." Just my opinion.

I had to swap the X-pipe out for the stock catted H on my Cobra every two years for smog. Now, while it was a pain, it's still only every two years.

On a side note, not sure if you guys deal with this up there, but they are starting to lay down "traps" down here in San Diego. I drove past one the other day. It's a sniffer that checks your car as you drive by. Couple hundred feet later, you have a cop that will pull you over if you weren't clean and throw you on a roadside dyno to run a smog test.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Corradooo

Garage
I have a muffler delete so I would need to swap that also. The overpipe I know isn't needed, I wouldn't swap that at all it's too much work jacking up the motor and finagling it in, but headers, front pipe, muffler, and CAI won't pass. It's hours of work that I would much rather see if I can find help with first, before going through the work.

Like I said, I know it's a long shot, but it's worth testing the waters. NY wasn't as restrictive, and it was easier to find shops willing to work with performance setups to save some time, just seeing if I could find a place out here who could help

Old 05-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
Corradooo

Garage
I would be doing the work myself. I don't need anyone to do the swap for me, it's the time thing that's a factor. And 200-500 bucks? That seems way high. To pay for a smog check and put 100 in the techs pocket almost anywhere in NY would help out. Seems everyone's a lot tighter out here unfortunately.

And I haven't heard anything about those traps... But that sounds terrible... Not cool at all...

Old 05-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Smog check and visual inspection help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corradooo View Post
I would be doing the work myself. I don't need anyone to do the swap for me, it's the time thing that's a factor. And 200-500 bucks? That seems way high. To pay for a smog check and put 100 in the techs pocket almost anywhere in NY would help out. Seems everyone's a lot tighter out here unfortunately.

And I haven't heard anything about those traps... But that sounds terrible... Not cool at all...

Dang, $100 would be nice. I would never do it, but if I were to have payed a smog guy off, most have wanted at least $200 0=)

And I've only seen one of those smog traps. Been hearing about them for years. I hope it doesn't become common

suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
Corradooo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
Dang, $100 would be nice. I would never do it, but if I were to have payed a smog guy off, most have wanted at least $200 0=)

And I've only seen one of those smog traps. Been hearing about them for years. I hope it doesn't become common

Lol thanks for the help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Corradooo For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (05-18-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,019 Times in 1,861 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I believe if a smog tech gets caught, it is now a felony charge in California. That's why it's hard to find someone who will be willing to do it, and those that are willing will charge an arm and a leg. If I were you, I'd find a couple of friends, and assign parts to swap back too. With multiple people working on the car, it shouldn't take very long.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote