follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
NWFRS
Senior Member
 
NWFRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: ‘13 FRS
Location: USA
Posts: 1,298
Thanks: 3,946
Thanked 1,503 Times in 635 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Has anyone installed brown leather upholstery?

I'm looking to do brown or tan leather upholstery next. I've never had this done before so I have a few concerns. Firstly I'm concerned about all the red stitching clashing with brown. Secondly, If I want my arm rests and window sills done in exactly the same shade, will I be forced to go with a custom upholsterer? I'm thinking the cost-effective option is dealer-installed CatSkinz, but that won't get me the matching door leather that I want. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. :-)

Edit: I pulled the trigger. Absolutely beautiful IMHO.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82872

Last edited by NWFRS; 07-04-2015 at 09:47 PM.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
whaap
Senior Member
 
whaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Location: Tucson
Posts: 2,133
Thanks: 243
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Of all the colors made my favorite interior on any car is saddle tan. I don't know of any leather upholstery supplier that includes all the additional trim you would need to completely change out the interior. When you consider the interior side trim needed along with the carpeting I would consider the cost prohibitive. To me just changing out the seat colors would look lousy and if you can, do as I've done and learn to enjoy it the way it comes from the factory. I tell myself if and when I ever get my Cayman I'll have my saddle trim again. That's what I had in my last Miata.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
NWFRS
Senior Member
 
NWFRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: ‘13 FRS
Location: USA
Posts: 1,298
Thanks: 3,946
Thanked 1,503 Times in 635 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Hahaha. You're totally right, Whaap, but my mind was made up before I bought my car, I just need to figure out how to make it work. My first cars were early seventies Celica coupes, so I've been waiting around fifteen years for a sporty Toyota. I wouldn't want to perform the maintenance on a modern European car, but yeah, I love those two-tone Black and Tan interiors. Love the Z4 coupe interior especially. I'm probably going to have the work done around Christmas time. Has anyone tried dying their red stitches black? Another option might be to have the brown leather stitched with red. Any advice is welcome! :-)
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
FR-Shadow
Senior Member
 
FR-Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,418
Thanks: 260
Thanked 502 Times in 297 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Canada seat skinz was who i was going to use. And to get rid of the red just restitch the red with color matched thread or simple black.
__________________
FR-Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
projectXTR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Location: Belgium
Posts: 303
Thanks: 100
Thanked 75 Times in 49 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
projectXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Kiske
Senior Member
 
Kiske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Location: USA
Posts: 2,349
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Not quite feeling it. It's close but it still feels dis-jointed from the rest of the interior. Maybe a bit more to tie it in?
Kiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
utekineir
blowhard
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: frs, project forester
Location: ma
Posts: 980
Thanks: 53
Thanked 604 Times in 316 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
speaker pads and inner knee pads don't match
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
projectXTR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Location: Belgium
Posts: 303
Thanks: 100
Thanked 75 Times in 49 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just for the record that is subaru's sport pack concept showcased at TAS this year, not mine at all.
projectXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Frostyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 496
Thanks: 30
Thanked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Give a holler to JPM custom works. They have a method for the door inserts, both the arm rest, and the upper sill, as well as everything else in the car.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Accelerated
For the sake of argument I went and cut my factory filter housing up.
Frostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Korbah
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: Mitsubishi Lancer 1995 GL MT
Location: Gold Coast QLD Aus
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A big factor is the LED colour on the dash......change that to make the whole thing more thematic
Korbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
dnavas
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: Elantra & UM A/T FR-S ex-Saturn
Location: United States
Posts: 37
Thanks: 24
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking at doing something very similar to this, though likely a lighter tan.
The Mazda3 manages a light interior with black everything else:
http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/u/X/1/ag...3sgt_intlt.jpg
but like you, and like my brother-in-law (who did up a number of pics for me, I'll try to get permission to forward them), we're all worried about the red stitching
Attached Images
 

Last edited by dnavas; 10-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.
dnavas is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Katzkin Leather (Self-installed) UnOvertime Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 19 07-31-2016 05:07 PM
JDM Leather/Alcantara Seat Covers Installed 1010110 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 45 04-02-2014 06:20 PM
KATZKIN Scion FRS / BRZ Leather Upholstery Group Buy Canada Seat Skins Groupbuys 49 08-22-2013 04:49 PM
Anyone change the upholstery yet? dro Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 3 05-24-2013 04:58 PM
OEM Upholstery ExWhyZer0 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 9 12-25-2012 01:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.