follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Report: BRZ STI Model Already in the Works, No Turbocharger

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...i_planned.html

No turbocharger:
Quote:
It is likely to produce around 250bhp. "We can definitely develop the intake system," Atake said. "There is certainly room for improvement there." In addition, there is likely to be a freer-flowing exhaust and modifications to the engine's variable valve control system, along with an even higher rev limit of around 7,500rpm.
Full article:
Quote:
Subaru has given the biggest hint yet that it is developing a hot STI version of its BRZ sports car – and there's a roadster on the way too.

Talking to Auto Express at the launch of the new rear-wheel drive coupe, global marketing manager Atoshi Atake, said: "We have already had many requests from interested customers regarding a faster version. Let me say this - we will certainly satisfy our customers. We are already working on a faster version."

The new range-topping model is expected to take inspiration from the STI concept revealed at the 2011 Los Angeles Motor Show. Under the bonnet will be a more powerful version of the 197bhp 2.0-litre flat-four cylinder 'boxer' from the standard car.

It is likely to produce around 250bhp. "We can definitely develop the intake system," Atake said. "There is certainly room for improvement there." In addition, there is likely to be a freer-flowing exhaust and modifications to the engine's variable valve control system, along with an even higher rev limit of around 7,500rpm.

Subaru says that it will not turbocharge the engine as there is no space at the front of the engine bay for an intercooler. "Plus, we want to keep turbocharging separate. It is for models like the WRX STI," said Atake. "The same goes for four-wheel drive. We could not make the BRZ four-wheel drive even if we wanted to." He also said that supercharging had been dismissed because it would make the BRZ too heavy on fuel.

As well as more power, the BRZ STI is set to weigh even less than the 1,250kg standard car, thanks to racing bucket seats and potentially a carbonfibre roof and bonnet, which will further help to lower the car's centre of gravity. Other tweaks will include a dramatic bodykit, stiffened and lowered suspension, lighter but larger 18-inch alloy wheels and upgraded brakes.

When asked if it was possible to make a convertible version of the BRZ, Atake said: "Yes, that is certainly possible. We already have pillarless doors - you can imagine how removing the roof would make the car look."

Subaru and Toyota have a global sales target of 100,000 models per year for the BRZ, and its sister car, the GT 86. Both cars go on sale in the UK in June, but sales have already begun in Japan where Subaru has sold 3,551 models in the last two months - four times what it expected.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
NERO

Drives: 2012 Honda Ruckus
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
So the same things that the aftermarket community will end up doing and I don't have to wait 2 years. Either way it's fine with me.
NERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
So glad they are not going the force induction rout!
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanzo For This Useful Post:
rice_classic (08-27-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
250 NA with a slight weight reduction would be perfect for my intended purposes...

hope they release it next year and not at the mid-cycle refresh.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Sweet, I was hoping to hear something like this. That means almost all of that power can be accomplished in the aftermarket. I knew there was some N/A potential left in this motor without building it. Means we should get some nice gains from a good intake and exhaust.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
powertrip

Drives: Mercedes C320, S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
Sweet, I was hoping to hear something like this. That means almost all of that power can be accomplished in the aftermarket. I knew there was some N/A potential left in this motor without building it. Means we should get some nice gains from a good intake and exhaust.
Don't get your hopes up. To eek out another 50hp on this motor would likely entail more aggressive variable timing, tuning, higher redline, and probably boring out the motor.

I/H/E/tune on a 2.0L, you might, might get 20hp tops. but dont count on it. The car is pretty well optimized at 200, any gains will be expensive and require mods that are generally best done by the factory.
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
IntenseDVDA

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
250 NA with a slight weight reduction would be perfect for my intended purposes...

hope they release it next year and not at the mid-cycle refresh.
I would be very surprised if they released this version next year. We'll see.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
There is no reason for them to rush this. The current spec car is selling like hot cakes in Japan and is about to in the rest of the world.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
It's crazy that they're leaking this info this early before the base model is released! Won't have to wait as long as I expected. No FI means less rapid heating/cooling (reliability)... always good for the head gaskets.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
G-Man

Drives: 1980 corvette, 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
this makes me happy
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
KevinDuMa

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It makes much more sense, BRZ is the NA, lightweight, rwd coupe and the WRX will be the awd turbo monster
KevinDuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
This would almost make it a Cayman. And I'm sure, as much as I'd like one, it'd be too expensive for me. At least the cost of an WRX STI.

I've had a hunch from the beginning though and looking at the dynos so far, that there is some breathing room up top. I think (and hope) we'll be surprised on what a few mods and a tune will do.
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
It's crazy that they're leaking this info this early before the base model is released! Won't have to wait as long as I expected.

The fact that all of these people in official capacity for Subaru are already talking about higher performance versions, coupled with Toyota saying they want to release a different variant every year, makes me also believe this "BRZ STi" will show up sooner rather than later.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...lopment-report
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote