follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Dsmith1992
10 Series Colorado

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
10 Series add a sub

has anyone figured out a way to add an amp and a subwoofer to a 10 series frs yet, as the 6.1" touch screen bespoke does not come with rca outputs, like the regular bespoke audio system. Do i need to find a harness or what are my options here without having to buy a new headunit.
Dsmith1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Have you looked at the OEM Audio +, it's essentially plug and play...

Personally after setting the HU audio DSP to Feel... it has quite a punchy setup... despite the lack of subwoofer.
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Dsmith1992
10 Series Colorado

Garage
ya i have looked at the OEM Audio+

not really liking the 1200 price tag, i had a 12" kicker L7 that would actually fit quite perfectly, just needed the rca's to hook it up
Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1992 View Post
has anyone figured out a way to add an amp and a subwoofer to a 10 series frs yet, as the 6.1" touch screen bespoke does not come with rca outputs, like the regular bespoke audio system. Do i need to find a harness or what are my options here without having to buy a new headunit.
You should have no problem. Folks usually tap into the rear speakers with a mono amp. I just removed my old amp and added a five channel Alpine which has speaker level inputs. Then you have an amp to either power the stock door and front speakers, or an upgrade path for new speakers.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
mikeTee
Yup.

Drives: MT Subaru BRZ '13
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Maybe the "Kicker" subwoofer that they're offering for the BRZ? Granted I've been reading some seriously mixed reviews on it, but the harnesses might match up.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Only other thing I can think off is to add a speaker level to RCA adapter, but you'd have to find the speaker lever wires with a wiring diagram...

Or try this

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1086444
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Dsmith1992
10 Series Colorado

Garage
ig i will look into saving some money and get a OEM audio 400+ system
Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
SportInjected

Drives: for the sake of driving
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Use a line output converter (LOC), tap either the front or rear speakers from the headunit harness, then plug in the RCA cables into the LOC.

Use a wiring diagram to figure out which wires go to which speakers, or do trial and error with a AA battery (touch one wire to + and one to -, until you hear static noise coming from a speaker).
Old 08-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
TRD-X

Drives: Da-Big Banana
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OEM Audio+ is awesome I've had two of their systems and will be buying it for my FR-S also.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
M_Dubbs

Drives: My lil bro has a white BRZ limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportInjected View Post
Use a line output converter (LOC), tap either the front or rear speakers from the headunit harness, then plug in the RCA cables into the LOC.

Use a wiring diagram to figure out which wires go to which speakers, or do trial and error with a AA battery (touch one wire to + and one to -, until you hear static noise coming from a speaker).
Gonna be "that guy" here but my advice is to not go touching batteries to wires without properly testing them first. The problem with trial and error is that most of the time in a vehicle, speaker wires are twisted pairs of wire. The only other wires that are commonly twisted pairs are data and airbag wires. Do yourself a favor, and if there is a Harbor Freight near you, pick up one of their cheap digital multimeters (or one from any other place that sells tools), set it to the ohms setting, and with the aid of a wiring diagram, find the wires in a place that makes sense for them to be running (I would say behind the radio or in the kick panels in the harness going into the door would be great places to look. Once you find the suspected pair, strip a small part of them (not at the same time) and test the oh reading with the meter leads on both wires. If it is roughly in the neighborhood of 4 ohms, You have found your speaker wire. You can try a AA battery at this point. I'm not sure if your FRS has the same amp in the back that the BRZ limiteds do (those are the only ones I've worked on) but that is a great place to grab signal and remote turn-on. If you plan to ever replace the factory head unit, I strongly recommend connecting your ine-out converter behind the radio. This will save you the trouble of re-running cables once you get a radio with sub controls, if you ever do.

Sorry, that was long winded. I've just seen a lot of people make costly mistakes due to partial, but well-meaning advice. These cars are cake to work with so just use your resources, take your time, and have fun!
M_Dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M_Dubbs For This Useful Post:
SportInjected (08-09-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
M_Dubbs

Drives: My lil bro has a white BRZ limited
Quote:
Oh dang, you're in CO. are you on the Colorado FRS BRZ owner club? my brother is. PM me and I might be able to help you further...
M_Dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #12
SportInjected

Drives: for the sake of driving
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Dubbs View Post
Gonna be "that guy" here but my advice is to not go touching batteries to wires without properly testing them first. The problem with trial and error is that most of the time in a vehicle, speaker wires are twisted pairs of wire. The only other wires that are commonly twisted pairs are data and airbag wires. Do yourself a favor, and if there is a Harbor Freight near you, pick up one of their cheap digital multimeters (or one from any other place that sells tools), set it to the ohms setting, and with the aid of a wiring diagram, find the wires in a place that makes sense for them to be running (I would say behind the radio or in the kick panels in the harness going into the door would be great places to look. Once you find the suspected pair, strip a small part of them (not at the same time) and test the oh reading with the meter leads on both wires. If it is roughly in the neighborhood of 4 ohms, You have found your speaker wire. You can try a AA battery at this point. I'm not sure if your FRS has the same amp in the back that the BRZ limiteds do (those are the only ones I've worked on) but that is a great place to grab signal and remote turn-on. If you plan to ever replace the factory head unit, I strongly recommend connecting your ine-out converter behind the radio. This will save you the trouble of re-running cables once you get a radio with sub controls, if you ever do.

Sorry, that was long winded. I've just seen a lot of people make costly mistakes due to partial, but well-meaning advice. These cars are cake to work with so just use your resources, take your time, and have fun!
Great post! I knew I would get some heat for suggesting one of those ghetto methods haha personally, I always use a multimeter to check the actual resistance, but some people like to find the easy/free way out, so I figure I'll provide them with that option.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
azian_advanced
*****istrator

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
i'm willing to trade my stock 10-series stereo for your 6.1" touch screen.
(canadian-spec stereo comes with rear subwoofer pre-outs)

canadian-spec 10-series headunits are the same as the stock FR-S stereo without the touchscreen.
SC10N FR-S #435 of 2500
azian_advanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
Dsmith1992
10 Series Colorado

Garage
im goin to keep the 6.1 touch screen,