follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
chuchutrain
Banned

Drives: Firestorm
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Greddy vs Nameless Vs Perrin? (or Hks Legamax vs Tanabe?)

Has anyone heard all three of these that can give a good relative comparison?
Specifically, anyone hear the Greddy in comparison to the Nameless or Perrin?

Or... the HKS Legamax vs Tanabe?

The video's don't really work out due to the huge amount of variables when recording, so don't bother posting those.

Thanks!

Last edited by chuchutrain; 07-16-2013 at 02:18 PM.
chuchutrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchutrain View Post

The video's don't really work out due to the huge amount of variables when recording, so don't bother posting those.

Thanks!
Nameless and Perrin are way better than Greddy, imo. Perrin slightly quieter (resonated) than Nameless. I'm just talking about the catbacks/axlebacks only. I don't know of anyone with a Greddy EVO3 or SP Elite, but the EVO3 is known to drone.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Not to mention the Greddy is 2.75" in diameter and to my knowledge, there are no front, or overpipes that have that diameter, not to mention every header I have seen is 2.5" Having a 2.5" system flow into a 3" pipe will disrupt flow. Plus, these cars love back pressure (As evident by the fact that UEL headers work wonders better than EL headers), so 2.5" (unless you go F/I) will function better than 2.75" or 3".
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
ramiram1984

Drives: 2016 STi DGM
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbonazza View Post
Not to mention the Greddy is 2.75" in diameter and to my knowledge, there are no front, or overpipes that have that diameter, not to mention every header I have seen is 2.5" Having a 2.5" system flow into a 3" pipe will disrupt flow. Plus, these cars love back pressure (As evident by the fact that UEL headers work wonders better than EL headers), so 2.5" (unless you go F/I) will function better than 2.75" or 3".

J2 Engineering has 2.75" catless front pipe.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
(As evident by the fact that UEL headers work wonders better than EL headers),.5F/I)

Wut?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
jonbonazza

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Wut?
Look at every dyno set you can find and tell me if you find one where the EL headers perform better than the UEL headers.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Look at every dyno set you can find and tell me if you find one where the EL headers perform better than the UEL headers.
it's only the laws of physics and thermodynamics that are wrong then I guess...

Sure, some companies have had better gains from UEL than EL. That doesn't mean that UEL is a better design decision at all. I'm not going to bother looking up the charts, because they've been around for months.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
It's all over the web. It's not a large difference until you're pushing tons of horsepower though. Most people prefer the UEL sound to not even care about the ~10 hp loss.

There are 3" front pipes and a 3" downpipe both from Perrin and Nameless. They just haven't fully "released" yet.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Mobius357

Drives: '15 WRX '13 Legacy '07 Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Nameless hasn't released their header yet, but theirs is EL and the dyno chart out of this world.
Mobius357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
jonbonazza

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
it's only the laws of physics and thermodynamics that are wrong then I guess...

Sure, some companies have had better gains from UEL than EL. That doesn't mean that UEL is a better design decision at all. I'm not going to bother looking up the charts, because they've been around for months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
It's all over the web. It's not a large difference until you're pushing tons of horsepower though. Most people prefer the UEL sound to not even care about the ~10 hp loss.

There are 3" front pipes and a 3" downpipe both from Perrin and Nameless. They just haven't fully "released" yet.
More horsepower doesn't necessarily mean better. Although I guess the term is subjective to setup and the person in general.

Yes, physics says that equal length tubing should perform better. Most of the time it does result in more horsepower, but UEL get's rid of that horrid torque dip. For someone who is just wanting to push as much HP as possible, then sure the EL will be "better" for them, but for all practicality--twisties or strait line-- the lack of torque dip is much more enticing than more horsepower at high RPMS.

I will admit that I haven't seen any dyno charts either way on force inducted (induced?) motors, so I can't speak for them, but for naturally aspirated builds, UEL is the better option, in my opinion.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
More horsepower doesn't necessarily mean better. Although I guess the term is subjective to setup and the person in general.

Yes, physics says that equal length tubing should perform better. Most of the time it does result in more horsepower, but UEL get's rid of that horrid torque dip. For someone who is just wanting to push as much HP as possible, then sure the EL will be "better" for them, but for all practicality--twisties or strait line-- the lack of torque dip is much more enticing than more horsepower at high RPMS.

I will admit that I haven't seen any dyno charts either way on force inducted (induced?) motors, so I can't speak for them, but for naturally aspirated builds, UEL is the better option, in my opinion.
There isn't even a big enough difference that you would see unless you're going Stage 3 FI with the headers. You couldn't tell the difference driving the cars at all. You would only hear the difference.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
tokiokun717

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchutrain View Post

Thanks!
Back to topic for the OP, I have the evo3 and my friend has the Nameless so here's my opinion comparing them side by side.

Evo3 is really loud without the silencers but has a deeper tone. It also drones around 3k rpm. You can opt to put the silencers in which will pretty much eliminate drone and still retain a slightly deeper tone vs stock. Nameless is quieter and enhances the boxer sound so if you like that that's the way to go.
tokiokun717 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tokiokun717 For This Useful Post:
chuchutrain (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #13
chuchutrain
Banned

Drives: Firestorm
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokiokun717 View Post
Back to topic for the OP, I have the evo3 and my friend has the Nameless so here's my opinion comparing them side by side.

Evo3 is really loud without the silencers but has a deeper tone. It also drones around 3k rpm. You can opt to put the silencers in which will pretty much eliminate drone and still retain a slightly deeper tone vs stock. Nameless is quieter and enhances the boxer sound so if you like that that's the way to go.
Is the Nameless quieter than the Evo3 with silencers or without? Did they get the catted front pipe or just axel back Nameless?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
chuchutrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #14
tokiokun717

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The nameless is quieter compared to the evo3 without the silencers. My friend got the catted front pipe(and I actually have the same one with my evo3) but I've also heard just the axle back and the sound quality doesn't change much aside from it getting a little louder with the front pipe. IMO the Evo3 gets a little too loud w/o silencers with the front pipe, but it sounds pretty good with silencers in.
tokiokun717 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tokiokun717 For This Useful Post:
chuchutrain (07-11-2013)