follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
ranisron

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited #2344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
would rear-facing baby seat fit?

All,

I've been luring around here for a while and just like everybody else, I am very excited about the release of the BRZ/FT86. I'm a current WRX wagon (saabaru) owner, ex 240SX and ex AE86 owner. Luv the subie but miss the AE86 so BRZ is naturally the best of both world.

So my question is stated in the thread title - would a rear facing baby seat fit in the rear passenger side? I have the Recaro Proride seat in my WRX wagon and a Graco Snugride seat in my SUV. Both are in rear facing configuration - my first one should arrive to this world today (I hope).

Do you think there is a possibility to fit in either of the seat in the back of a BRZ? the amount of room doesn't look too promising... Of course by the time the BRZ hits the showroom, I will go test it out.
ranisron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hard to tell since none of us have been able to put a rear facing car seat in one. But do you plan on having an adult sit in front of the rear facing car seat is the question. I will almost guarantee you won't be able to.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Hard to tell since none of us have been able to put a rear facing car seat in one. But do you plan on having an adult sit in front of the rear facing car seat is the question. I will almost guarantee you won't be able to.
Seconded.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I haven't seen the car in person, but if they designed this back seat mainly with kids in mind (since nobody else fits), I'm pretty confident that a car seat should fit.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
I haven't seen the car in person, but if they designed this back seat mainly with kids in mind (since nobody else fits), I'm pretty confident that a car seat should fit.
Forward yes. Booster yes. Rear facing? Not so sure about that one. Rear facing inherently takes up more room.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Tbxgz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Judging but this pic, my guess is yes.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
ranisron

Thanks all! I wasn't really expecting to have a passenger (insert selfishness). The Buick is the family car and people hauler... Worse comes worst, I can get the BRZ in couple of years once Lexi is able to fit in a booster seat...
Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbxgz View Post

By the looks of it those are all forward facing seats. Not the same as a rear facing that a baby needs to be in for the first 12-18 months.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
ranisron

Well, worst case scenario will be me waiting a year or so before I could fit my daughter on the front facing baby seat... wait for Toyota/Subaru work out all the bugs for the all the first years....
Old 02-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I did not know Recaro also makes baby seat. Gee, I missed that chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbxgz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
By the looks of it those are all forward facing seats. Not the same as a rear facing that a baby needs to be in for the first 12-18 months.
As tranzformer said, those are forward facing seat. For the rear facing, you need to LATCH the base and then put the rear facing seat on top of it. The design of rear facing seat is like taking a front-facing and slide it down like 90 degree so that the baby is lying instead of seating. It needs *front* clearance off the base. So to the OP: if you are not going to have the front passenger sitting in BRZ, you can LATCH the base on the rear passenger side and put the baby there and move the front seat as forward as possible. However, if you do intend to carry another adult (mother, maybe?) the chance is really slim.

Even in a 4 door sedan, the best position to mount the rear facing seat is the rear middle position and let the carrier touches the front seat back. It is snuggled in that fashion.

BTW, congratulation on your first one.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
ranisron

Thank you thank you. She is here this evening :-) thanks to the wife, the staff and the almighty!
The Following User Says Thank You to ranisron For This Useful Post:
poormans_LFA (05-14-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Newer studies are recommending rear facing for much longer than previously suggested, too. I've read at least until 2 years old and some are even recommending 3 up to 5 (in Sweden, for example).
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Doesn't look like rear facing will fit, but may depend on the seat. (my Combi is rather compact). The problem with moving the front seat forward is that there's potential for there still not to be enough space without the seat back in the unlocked (folded) position.

If you have a 9-2x (I have a WRX wagon), you probably already have to put the passenger seat pretty far forwards. Now imagine if you had about 8" less room back there to work with. (plus I have no idea HOW you'd put the baby seat in - fold the driver's seat back?)

Literature I read so far has specified a forward facing seat will fit.

As for a Recaro - I bought one for my wife's car. It's actually a nicely designed safe seat with good head and side protection. Imagine that - a company that designs race seats to be safe has years of experience in the industry and can apply that technology to baby seats. Just wish *I* could afford a Recaro seat for myself!
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
DCmoto

Drives: 1993 Civic EG Hatch w/'98JDM Type R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranisron View Post
All,

I've been luring around here for a while and just like everybody else, I am very excited about the release of the BRZ/FT86. I'm a current WRX wagon (saabaru) owner, ex 240SX and ex AE86 owner. Luv the subie but miss the AE86 so BRZ is naturally the best of both world.

So my question is stated in the thread title - would a rear facing baby seat fit in the rear passenger side? I have the Recaro Proride seat in my WRX wagon and a Graco Snugride seat in my SUV. Both are in rear facing configuration - my first one should arrive to this world today (I hope).

Do you think there is a possibility to fit in either of the seat in the back of a BRZ? the amount of room doesn't look too promising... Of course by the time the BRZ hits the showroom, I will go test it out.
Thanks for posting this. I have the same concern. My daughter just turned 2 months old today and I have the same concern. However, I put down my $500 yesterday to reserve my BRZ in hopes that it will fill my baby with rear-facing seat and possibly my wife who is only 5 ft tall. However, I will mostly only need to transport my daughter in the morning to the grandparents' house and my wife will pick her up in another vehicle. I hope it works out. I only want this one selfish buy. That forward-facing car seat looks great. I hope to be able to rough it through the first year to get to the new seat that'll fit better. Here's to a positive outcome.:happy0180:
DCmoto is offline   Reply With Quote