follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Pudge Ate Me

Drives: FR-S + Yamaha R6 07'
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin 2.5" Non Res Catback

So I am about to get the Perrin catback and wanted to know what a fair price to pay for this would be. Also I would like some input from those who have or have had this exhaust and I really want to know how big the difference is between the resonated and non resonated versions. I don't want something ungodly loud or stock quiet. Input welcome.
Pudge Ate Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
TweakLawl

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It also depends on whether you have plans to change up your headers, overpipe, and front pipe. I have heard that the unresonated version can be raspy with other upgrades to those parts. As for the price, hit up some of the vendors here and see what they can do for you.
TweakLawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge Ate Me View Post
So I am about to get the Perrin catback and wanted to know what a fair price to pay for this would be. Also I would like some input from those who have or have had this exhaust and I really want to know how big the difference is between the resonated and non resonated versions. I don't want something ungodly loud or stock quiet. Input welcome.
It's loud if you plan on keeping this as your only exhaust upgrade, but not unbearable. If you plan on getting headers, I would go resonated as it gets pretty raspy and loud without the resonator.

Lowest price I've seen is $769 from @Mike@CZP. Great deal.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've got a Perrin NR and love it. I'm not a fan of loud exhausts, and this one is about right. It can be a little loud at times, like cold start, engine braking in the 3-4k rpm range, etc., but overall, it's great. I prefer the tone/sound quality of the NR over the R. Search and you'll find sound clips comparing the two.

Also I agree with the above advice. If you're going to get header, overpipe, decat, etc., get the resonated version.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Pudge Ate Me

Drives: FR-S + Yamaha R6 07'
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I will only be doing a catback upgrade and maybe an intake in the future but as far as the exhaust system goes I never plan on F/I or headers, maybe a highflow cat but thats it.
Pudge Ate Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Muller Performance

Drives: Subaru & Scion
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
PM us your zip and we can give you a great price. The resonated version seems to be more popular. Like stated, if you plan on changing the entire exhaust, opening up the front pipe/overpipe will make any catback louder.
Muller Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
@Pudge Ate Me

I paid $850 shipped to me for a black resonated catback. Black costs a bit more.

Although I haven't yet received it, when I installed a resonated a perrin catback on my buddy's car we did a side by side comparison with my stock exhaust. Perrin is a deeper note with no rasp that is a couple hairs above stock volume.

I have heard the unresonated as well. It is a bit louder than resonated, and only starts getting a little bit of rasp in the midrange revs and up. You will have no issues with exhaust volume with either one.
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Wes

Drives: JRSC'd Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I got mine from this group buy from mikeczp, which i think still might be going on, it was a good deal. I had resonated at first and I thought it was a little too quiet but it sounded great when you stepped on it. I recently switched to the nonres, and it sounds like the resonated version with the exception of an extra growl and it feels better, less restricted. I'd say if you go headerback and beyond to get resonated.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
DarthThinmints

Drives: scion fr-s raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have their new 3" catback
here's a video of the sound, but it sounds a lot better in person
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c-_dKOSz8A"]Scion FR-S / BRZ Big 3" Cat Back Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]
DarthThinmints is offline   Reply With Quote