follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
ozne99

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Injen Idle Issue?

I installed my Injen instake a couple days ago and there has been a few occassions where the car would just stall. Once while moving.

The idle seems to sit at 500 rpms for a bit, then sometimes would dip below that and just stall the car.

Anyone know how I can correct this? I've driven it for well over 200 miles and it happened to me this morning.
ozne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Ranatsu
Cone basher

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozne99 View Post
I installed my Injen instake a couple days ago and there has been a few occassions where the car would just stall. Once while moving.

The idle seems to sit at 500 rpms for a bit, then sometimes would dip below that and just stall the car.

Anyone know how I can correct this? I've driven it for well over 200 miles and it happened to me this morning.
Check for vacuum leaks.

Also did you pull the negative battery terminal?
Ranatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranatsu View Post
Check for vacuum leaks.

Also did you pull the negative battery terminal?

I read somewhere on forums from a credible source that disconnecting the battery doesn't do anything. The ECU will re-learn itself in a matter of 10 or so minutes regardless of being unplugged.

As for idle dipping I had a similar problem on my stock intake once before I switched to Injen actually except when it dipped it shot back up after a second and never stalled. Could be an isolated occurence but as Ranatsu said you should definitely check that everything is installed correctly. It's always possible you got a bad intake too.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Ranatsu
Cone basher

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series.Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
I read somewhere on forums from a credible source that disconnecting the battery doesn't do anything. The ECU will re-learn itself in a matter of 10 or so minutes regardless of being unplugged.

As for idle dipping I had a similar problem on my stock intake once before I switched to Injen actually except when it dipped it shot back up after a second and never stalled. Could be an isolated occurence but as Ranatsu said you should definitely check that everything is installed correctly. It's always possible you got a bad intake too.
The ecu learns rather quickly I will say, but I think it can only compensate 15% long term learning and an additional 15% on short term so in total 30%.
Now assuming you had it adding 30% fuel all the time and you fix the problem and changed the intake and now it needs to pull 60% it can't do that fast enough..

This is just an extreme example. I personally pull the battery cable because it takes 1 minute and the ecu can start from nil rather than starting from my old learned values.
Ranatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
I had a dead spot on my Injen intake until I got it replaced with a better one. The first one I received had some seriously bad welds that somehow made their way inside the tube which to my own guess, disturbs the airflow. How does your tube look like from the inside, is it smooth or does it look like this?

Hope this helps.

As far as stalling goes, make sure your connections are tight and not loose. Also make sure the black rubber tube is pushed inside your intake all the way.

Now once all those are taken care of, reset the ecu and start over and let it relearn.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
thebear21

Drives: scion fr-s (RIP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
a question not about the idle dip. but do you guys have a bad rattle at WOt around 5k it sounds like its coming from the air box and im not sure how to fix it, ive tightned up every bolt but it wont stop! help!!! ps this intake with ECUteK from visconti is awesome!
thebear21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Area86

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited SWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear21 View Post
a question not about the idle dip. but do you guys have a bad rattle at WOt around 5k it sounds like its coming from the air box and im not sure how to fix it, ive tightned up every bolt but it wont stop! help!!! ps this intake with ECUteK from visconti is awesome!
Probably the lever to prop the hood up rattling on the air box. If so just put some foam tape around the part where it hits the air box.
Area86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
Wusaa

Drives: 2013 BRZ ;2004 RX8 GT (SOLD)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
so did anyone get this problem fixed?
Wusaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
jck2216

Drives: Ford Fairmont, 2008 Honda Hornet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I thought I was the only person having this issue. Mine is having the exact same issue so I just reinstall the stock one until I can be bothered having another go with it.
Next week I'll try it again, injen were no help to me, speaking of welds I just went and had a look at them and noticed that there is a little hole in the weld near the MAF sensor and that can't be good. I'm going to get some exhaust paste and put a bit on it to see if that helps! Let me know if you find another fix too!
jck2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,135 Times in 523 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
this is how I fixed mine:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33499

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
I've seen quite a few Injen intakes show up on the for sale section.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote