follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
bdbx18

Drives: Present MDX, Civic Hybrid, BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My first 100 mile impression

I've had my car for about two weeks now and I just took it out for a 80+ mile drive (ODO is now at ~90) on Saturday night. Here are my impressions after using it to go to a Xmas party where we are late as usual:

- No room for our suit nor hers, so it goes onto the back seat. My jacket eventually went on my seat back.
- HID lights are great and at 0, may be a tad high, -1 is perfect.
- Keyless doesn't open the passenger door so I have to fumble to find the door unlock button.
- My SGS3 a2dp just won't connect even though I had successfully paired it a few days ago. No time to mess with it now, have to go.
- Speaker system is quite decent, clear and good bass, no complaints here from an ex-audiopile.
- Tires were shipped with about 45 psi and now deflated back down to 35 psi, the ride is very slightly bump but just about perfect on Socal freeways. The wife says it's not comfortable but she's used to an SUV. I actually expected a terrible rock hard and noisy ride based on what I read here, but I am very pleasantly surprised. It is not at all noisy nor uncomfortable.
- Alignment seems OK, car is tracking straight but I still may just take it in for checking since cars usually ship with alignments off.
- Power is decent and I actually broke loose the rear wheels moving out of an intersection, Oops, I meant to keep the revs down.

- And here is the BIG one, the damn Nav does not allow input when the car is on the move. We're running late and I have a passenger but we can't use it. I now know I could have done the voice command thingy but who knows the commands to use. What to do? Get off the freeway just so we can set the Nav?? So this little safety thing resulted in a more dangerous act of us taking out our phones to get the directions and then holding the phones so that we can see the map. There has to be a way to fix this. None of my other cars have this restriction.

Aside from the above, the car is literally perfect.
bdbx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdbx18 For This Useful Post:
Guff (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbx18 View Post
I've had my car for about two weeks now and I just took it out for a 80+ mile drive (ODO is now at ~90) on Saturday night. Here are my impressions after using it to go to a Xmas party where we are late as usual:

- No room for our suit nor hers, so it goes onto the back seat. My jacket eventually went on my seat back.
- HID lights are great and at 0, may be a tad high, -1 is perfect.
- Keyless doesn't open the passenger door so I have to fumble to find the door unlock button.
- My SGS3 a2dp just won't connect even though I had successfully paired it a few days ago. No time to mess with it now, have to go.
- Speaker system is quite decent, clear and good bass, no complaints here from an ex-audiopile.
- Tires were shipped with about 45 psi and now deflated back down to 35 psi, the ride is very slightly bump but just about perfect on Socal freeways. The wife says it's not comfortable but she's used to an SUV. I actually expected a terrible rock hard and noisy ride based on what I read here, but I am very pleasantly surprised. It is not at all noisy nor uncomfortable.
- Alignment seems OK, car is tracking straight but I still may just take it in for checking since cars usually ship with alignments off.
- Power is decent and I actually broke loose the rear wheels moving out of an intersection, Oops, I meant to keep the revs down.

- And here is the BIG one, the damn Nav does not allow input when the car is on the move. We're running late and I have a passenger but we can't use it. I now know I could have done the voice command thingy but who knows the commands to use. What to do? Get off the freeway just so we can set the Nav?? So this little safety thing resulted in a more dangerous act of us taking out our phones to get the directions and then holding the phones so that we can see the map. There has to be a way to fix this. None of my other cars have this restriction.

Aside from the above, the car is literally perfect.
I can fix one problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sure74
For the limited: Open the driver door with the car off, hold down the lock and panic buttons on the key fob for approx 5 seconds. When you let go the car should beep. Now both doors will unlock when you touch the door handle. Not sure if that works with the premium.
Happy Hooning!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
Anorax (12-11-2012), bdbx18 (12-12-2012), GoSharks (12-11-2012), I<3Twisties (12-11-2012), Sc0ob_do0D (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
xdbuix

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue Limited BRZ
Garage
yea it was going good for me as well, until it started chirping.
I hope you dont get the chirp. It's the worst thing ever lol
Old 12-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I thought this was good alternative than the stock nav.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17228

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
I<3Twisties

Drives: SUBARWD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
I can fix one problem!

Happy Hooning!
Cool tip!
I<3Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
xn7485

Drives: 1995 Acura Integra GS-R
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I now know I could have done the voice command thingy but who knows the commands to use. What to do?
Call Ghostbusters!

Check 2nd post in this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22603
xn7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

Agreed, I want to remove this feature ESPECIALLY if there is a passenger there (we already have a sensor that tells if the passenger is present or not).
Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I can fix one problem!

Happy Hooning!
If you don't want to havethe passenger door unlock all the time, act the gentleman and open her door first. When you use the passenger handle to unlock the car, both doors unlock.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
Guff (12-11-2012), mgobrz (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Anorax

Drives: '13 BRZ SS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I can fix one problem!

Happy Hooning!

Thanks for this Guff! Just turned it on in my BRZ
Anorax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anorax For This Useful Post:
Guff (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
SakDiesel

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks Guff! Perhaps I should RTFM!!
SakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
2manysubies
USN Retired

Drives: '13 BRZL, 05LGTL, 05LGTLSW, and +5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hmmmm, I was able to do Nav when moving, a warning pops up saying you shouldn't bla bla bla, My wife was driving and I got thru it somehow, I'll have to try it again and see exactly what I did, I'll re-post when I do it. BTW the speed signal is a black wire that feeds the Nav. If I'm mistaken(happens sometimes) about doing Nav on the roll I bet I could I could use the Pass airbag/seat belt (Aaaaa!! don't panic) "ON" circuit to enable the Nav programing with a Pass. on board. I'll re-post when I try it.

Mac
2manysubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The Nav deal does annoy me but since it isn't supposed to be used on the move, I don't mind it so much.

Picked up a premium so the other issues don't bother me. After having keyless previously with 2 different vehicles, one being a Toyota, I never want another one again.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
try this for the nav bypass:
www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15239
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flat Black VW For This Useful Post:
bdbx18 (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
bdbx18

Drives: Present MDX, Civic Hybrid, BRZ
Quote:
I can fix one problem!

Happy Hooning!
Thanks! I thought I read that one somewhere. Then again, on second thought, I'm not sure I want both doors to unlock all the time.
bdbx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdbx18 For This Useful Post:
Guff (12-12-2012)