follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
DrewZ926

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
more issues after CEL fix..

Alright, my car was plagued with the CEL/slip light. This was fixed at the dealer and of course an ECM change fixed this. However, i have some other issues with the vehicle.

1. After the ECM i noticed the vehicle just seemed different. idk, maybe the throttle response seemed delayed. Couldn't and still can't put my finger on it. I can say that i noticed that when idleing, if you barely blip the throttle the RPM's will dip and then it will rev. Not a lot, but enough to notice.

2. The trans (AT) seems to shutter when taking off. If you have the wheels turned hard, and let off the gas, there is a shutter in the drivetrain. hard to explain. I had a buddy who had a jeep and it did this pretty bad, then the trans went out. Just seeing if anyone else has noticed this. I noticed it around 1500 and i'm at 3k and it still does it.

3. driver side door speaker is rattling. just started around 3k.

4. USB for Ipod says " error 4 ". i don't know if this is an ipod/cord issue or it's the radio itself.

5. AT trans in D. anyone notice that it shifts really low in the powerband and bogs down? i can be at 40ish and it'll put itself in 6th gear as soon as it can. somewhat annoying. is this normal?

6. almost didn't start today. just turned over and cranked. the RPM's just didnt' build up and hovered around 1-200rpm while it was still cranking. maybe it was a fluke.

7. passenger side rear tire is "feathering" . I do a lot of backroad driving and usually am a little "spirited". the tires are already showing wear.

No CEL's at this point. I haven't notified the dealer of these problems but figure i would post these and see what you all think and see if some of you have had similar issues.

92' 300zx NA --> TT
99' ML320
03' C32 AMG
13' FR-S
DrewZ926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Nick L

Drives: FR-S Firestorm AT
I haven't noticed the rest, but for #5, that may just be the way it's programmed (to go for the highest gear as quickly as possible for fuel economy). Mine behaves the same way and I haven't had the CEL. Have you tried the "sport" mode? For me that makes it hold gears much longer.
Nick L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewZ926 View Post
2. The trans (AT) seems to shutter when taking off. If you have the wheels turned hard, and let off the gas, there is a shutter in the drivetrain. hard to explain. I had a buddy who had a jeep and it did this pretty bad, then the trans went out. Just seeing if anyone else has noticed this. I noticed it around 1500 and i'm at 3k and it still does it.

5. AT trans in D. anyone notice that it shifts really low in the powerband and bogs down? i can be at 40ish and it'll put itself in 6th gear as soon as it can. somewhat annoying. is this normal?
#2 could be the LSD.

#5 I agree with. I found the shifting patterns of the AT to be somewhat inconsistent. In fact I think the software behind the system must get confused because at times it seems counter intuitive to how you are driving the car. My FR-S would even rarely forget to shift sometimes at about 4000rpm and just sit there and rev for about 3 seconds.

Rob
Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote