follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Show us your OEM head unit (pictures wanted)

Looking for of each different factory head unit:
  • Entire front of HU (with all printing readable)
  • Entire rear of HU (with all harnesses disconnected and out of view, all sockets clearly visible)
  • Entire top or bottom of HU (side with manufacturer's label, with everything clearly legible. If you're paranoid, you can hide the last few digits of the S/N)
  • A look into the dash opening, showing all of the harness and antenna plugs as clearly as possible.
Pictures should be well-lit, in focus, and large enough to make out all of the details.

Be sure to give your car's model and year, and the HU's model number (printed on the front).

If you're not ready to pull your HU and can only post a picture of the front, please do -- that's still better than nothing.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
SVXdc

(placeholder for index or other info)
SVXdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Oh darn it! I just installed your wiring harness and a rear view cam. Literally.. this happened 2hrs ago. I'll see if i can take it apart again. It wasn't very much work on the HU side of this install.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Keethos

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi SVXdc,

Like most other countries, us UK folks don't have reverse cameras as an option at all and there are quite a few of us on a more local forum who'd like to fit one but have no idea how to connect a camera to our OEM head units. So this maybe a long shot but I was hoping you could help us UK folks with figuring out which pins are used for a reversing camera on our head units and if possible, even source adaptors/harness' for after market cameras, if you willing to post all the way to the UK that is.

We know that our head units are capable of being used with reverse cameras as there are other Toyota models that do come with the same head unit and have reverse cameras available as extras. I've tried asking some local dealers here about how they connect reversing cameras to other vehicles with the same head unit but they don't seem to be willing to help or just have no idea.

How exactly does one find out which pins are used for what?

I've attached some pics in the hopes that this will help as well as these links to the installation manuals for the head unit:

Standard Touch Head Unit:
http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads..._002_549_0.pdf

Nav Touch & Go Head Unit (same head unit but with different software and added underside module I believe):
http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads..._002_551_0.pdf

This is a pure guess but could it also be the 16 pins for us as well? Could the one red cable be from the reversing gear? And since most after market cameras require 12V, do you still have to hook up the camera to the reverse light for power or should most head units supply enough voltage?

Any help would be much appreciated and if you could create and supply harness' to the UK, I know of quite a few guys who would be very much interested in purchasing them.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Keethos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keethos For This Useful Post:
encity5 (09-29-2012), SVXdc (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
SVXdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keethos View Post
Like most other countries, us UK folks don't have reverse cameras as an option at all and there are quite a few of us on a more local forum who'd like to fit one but have no idea how to connect a camera to our OEM head units. So this maybe a long shot but I was hoping you could help us UK folks ...
Thanks for the great pictures! Please see my reply in this new thread: GT86 TAS300 rear camera input