follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2026, 08:36 AM   #1
ft86tr
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Drives: BRZ
Location: Türkiye
Posts: 20
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DIY: Budget JDM Remote Engine Starter

Quick Disclaimer: Follow this guide at your own risk! Tapping into CAN lines can cause serious electrical issues if done incorrectly. Make sure you double-check all your wiring before plugging anything in. I take no responsibility if you fry something!


Radio Frequency Warning: This is a JDM-spec unit that operates on Japanese frequencies. Depending on where you live, this frequency may be restricted or reserved for other services. Check your local radio laws before installing;


Hey everyone,

I was originally looking for a remote starter and considered the OEM JDM option (H0017CA000 in attached option catalog for your reference), but it was simply too expensive. While browsing Amazon.co.jp, I found a CarMate alternative for around $100. I just finished installing it to my push-to-start BRZ. It uses its own dedicated fob, NOT a "3X Lock" OEM key fob setup.

The Japanese manuals can be pretty confusing, and the wiring has some tricky "gotchas" specific to our FT86 platform. Thus, I’m writing this DIY to save you the headache!

I want to mention, this outlines my experience for the EUDM AT push-to-start platform, but I believe it is applicable to other configurations as well.

You can check here for compatible remotes (Safari translation recommended):
https://db.carmate.co.jp/matching/output/

For push-to-start cars, the currently compatible models are:

The site lists that you need the TE157 and TE204 harnesses.
  • TE157 is the compatible harness for the BRZ. https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Carmat...dp/B00GOQN0YM/
  • TE204 is for vehicles configured with auto-lights (it triggers a door open signal to turn off the headlights). It is basically a long green cable that you pin to an empty slot on the 4-pin connector. I determined it is not actually necessary to buy this even you have auto light feature.

I found the official guide pretty confusing, but the installation is actually very simple. There are a few main components:
  • 2-Pin Foot Brake Harness: You tap these 2 wires into the foot brake switch.
  • 2-Pin CAN Bus: You can tap this directly into the OBD2 wiring. I initially tried to wire this to the unused 6-pin connector, but it didn't seem to work since I could not read the required 60 ohms from CAN-L and CAN-H there.
  • 4-Pin Connector: I actually depinned all the wires except the auto-light TE204 wire. You have the option to wire in the handbrake, but I wanted to keep the install simple.
  • Push-Start T-Harness: This is completely plug-and-play.
  • Immobilizer Bypass: You will need a spare OEM key. Remove its battery and place it inside the CarMate key case. This allows it to start the car with its signal when the remote start is triggered. Because of this, you must securely mount the included transmitter coil around your push-start button.

Troubleshooting the Start Sequence
If you wire everything up but the car still won't start: unplug the main Foot Brake Harness from the CarMate box, wait at least 15 seconds, and plug it back in. This does a hard reset and clears the memory so it can read your new settings. Next, click the engine start button 2 times (without your foot on the brake), start the car normally, and wait a few seconds.

Note: Make sure you do NOT have another key inside the cabin while trying to test the remote start, or the car's security system will block it!

The "Takeover" Sequence
When you remote start the car and want to get in and drive:
  • Open the door and wait 3 seconds.
  • Sit down, close the door, and wait 3 seconds.
  • Step on the brake. (If you do this too fast, the anti-theft system will kill the engine).

Hope this helps someone out there trying to run a JDM starter! Let me know if you guys have any questions about the wiring.

Attached Images
 
Attached Images
File Type: pdf brz-1202push.pdf (677.4 KB, 693 views)
File Type: pdf te-w52psb-d11.pdf (4.96 MB, 741 views)
File Type: pdf brz-1203nonpush.pdf (176.3 KB, 598 views)
File Type: pdf brz_acc_zc_EN.pdf (3.25 MB, 674 views)

Last edited by ft86tr; 05-05-2026 at 12:08 PM.
ft86tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2026, 10:38 AM   #2
gpvecchi
Senior Member
 
gpvecchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,057
Thanks: 414
Thanked 361 Times in 203 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Is this for MT orr AT?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2026, 10:56 AM   #3
ft86tr
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Drives: BRZ
Location: Türkiye
Posts: 20
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Is this for MT orr AT?
I forgot to mention it. It is for AT. But I have seen videos on YouTube that it may be applicable to MT.

ft86tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2026, 01:17 PM   #4
gpvecchi
Senior Member
 
gpvecchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,057
Thanks: 414
Thanked 361 Times in 203 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I think I understand you'll not use your standard remote anymore.
Do the doors unlock and lock using the same keyless way as stock?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2026, 09:42 AM   #5
gpvecchi
Senior Member
 
gpvecchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,057
Thanks: 414
Thanked 361 Times in 203 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Just FYI, the manual says that installation on MT is prohibited. Furthermore, there's the clotch switch to make the connections more complicated.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2026, 10:49 PM   #6
ft86tr
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Drives: BRZ
Location: Türkiye
Posts: 20
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
I think I understand you'll not use your standard remote anymore.
Do the doors unlock and lock using the same keyless way as stock?
Yes, the door lock and unlock functions work without the OEM remote. However, in order to drive, you need to press the brake pedal. If the vehicle doesn't recognize an OEM fob nearby (meaning you still need to carry your standard remote), it will shut off the engine.

I guess you could override this to only carry the CarMate remote by adding a kill switch to the push-start T-harness. The module likely stops the engine via the push-start button wires. (I am not 100% sure about this)
ft86tr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starter Replacement - Stripped Starter Bolt Jozy Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 18 09-01-2023 01:07 PM
remote starter install shops central NJ blackraven1425 NY / NJ / CT / PA 8 02-20-2013 03:17 PM
remote starter - thoughts jarviz Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 11 11-21-2012 07:27 PM
remote starter install jarviz NY / NJ / CT / PA 3 11-21-2012 03:58 PM
cold weather & remote starter jarviz Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 16 11-10-2012 06:03 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.