|
||||||
| Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2022
Drives: BRZ 2023
Location: Washington
Posts: 301
Thanks: 248
Thanked 116 Times in 87 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
|
mods to make car louder at high rpms
I posted this on gr86 forum but not everyone is there so posting here as well.
At my last track day my instructor suggested that I should get an exhaust so I can shift hearing the engine. I can't hear it much with helmet on. I want to make car louder at high rpms, sound that is proportional to rpm. What mods would I need? Would just exhaust do? |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Location: italy
Posts: 2,292
Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,125 Times in 815 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
|
yeah a not too muffled catback should be already enough
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Drives: 2013 FR-S 6 spd in Halo
Location: San Diego
Posts: 91
Thanks: 10
Thanked 79 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Engine mounts increase the spund in the car quite a bit without being obnoxious to the rest of the world. I have the Perrins. Replacing spark plugs is a very opportune time to swap the mounts.
Go fast, take chances. Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Wes
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 1,259
Thanked 1,737 Times in 1,028 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
|
Perrin engine mounts coupled with their trans support mount. I had to take the trans mount off eventually as it was too loud for daily use, but the on-ramps were hilariously fun, it sounded like the car had ITBs. Just a very loud, serrated-edge KEERRRRRRRR that builds all the way to the redline, very intoxicating.
__________________
Instagram: @gt86ws
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,348
Thanks: 1,258
Thanked 906 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
|
I rely on my sound tube to hear the engine at high rpm. I have an HKS header and a GR86 catback so everything is very quiet and like you I can't hear my exhaust at redline on track.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 | ||
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2022
Drives: BRZ 2023
Location: Washington
Posts: 301
Thanks: 248
Thanked 116 Times in 87 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
|
I should have added, I want car relatively quieter in lower rpms. So that sound would be linear to rpms.
Thanks, someone in area has killerb muffler delete and offered to meet, I am going to hear his car in person. Quote:
Quote:
sound tubes in helmet? |
||
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
|
Wes
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 1,259
Thanked 1,737 Times in 1,028 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
|
Quote:
__________________
Instagram: @gt86ws
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2020
Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 494
Thanks: 43
Thanked 363 Times in 224 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
|
I'd say just a catback should do it. That's going to liven up the car a lot and there are exhausts out there that are relatively quiet at lower cruising RPMs and come alive higher up in the RPM range. If you keep the front pipe stock, usually sound doesn't get out of control even with some higher volume catbacks.
I'm with your instructor though. I have a Borla catback for autocross and it lets me know when I'm off or on throttle for my videos better as well as in the car or with an instructor or buddy riding along. ... plus it's "cool" with fun noises.
__________________
2017 BRZ Limited Performance Pack - Steel Cities Region SCCA / North Hills Sports Car Club
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Best way to make exhaust louder? | Ryan_86 | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 15 | 08-08-2016 05:10 PM |
| How to make my car louder? | Kolenda18 | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 30 | 03-29-2016 08:33 PM |
| How to make my frs louder | Shehadeh | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 30 | 12-30-2014 09:41 PM |
| how fast and how high rpms can i go in my new frs? | 10series#1969 | BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics | 10 | 02-14-2014 12:15 AM |