follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Test drove an FR-S, loved it but...

The car is amazing, it can cut corners so precisely that I really don't think you will find a car in the same price range that offers that much handling capability.

BUT, here is the problem I face as far as do I buy it.

The car is just too easy to drive. Yes, I said it's too easy. It feels like a beginner car, there is no skill needed at all. Also, I didn't feel connected with the car. My inputs were not communicated in a way that made me feel like I could control the car the way I wanted. It just seemed like the car "knew" what to do and no matter what I did, that's what the car did. 40% throttle and 100% throttle feel exactly the same, I need to be able to modulate the power in a corner and not feel like I have no clue what it's doing.

There's my rant, but I still really loved the car other than that. I'm still on the fence about whether I should get it, because I do believe it has serious potential. I was just hoping for more of an old school sports car with lots of connection and that's not what I experienced at all.

/flame suit on
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Killerbee

Drives: GR86 / Supra MK5 MT / MR-S / Z4
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
mhhh, strange, to me it felt totally different, especially about the "connected to the car" part.

It's interessting to hear that with the "to easy to drive" as normally I only hear this from the Lancer Evo side (blabla to much electroncis, car does corners by itself, every idiot can drive it)

Anyways, I see no reason to flame you as this is your opinion, which you shall have. I just dont agree to it:-)
Killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
ryude

Should I test drive a different one? They just got a new Asphalt MT locally. I don't want to believe that's how the car is supposed to be.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
MattR
Running in the 90s

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If it was an automatic that you test drove, then yes, go test drive a manual. I love my FR-S and haven't driven a car that I felt this connected to in a long time.

EDIT: This isn't a rip on AT at all. Just in case he had driven an AT, and was used to MT. The difference can feel like a lack of control.

Last edited by MattR; 08-15-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Fire-proofing
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Jimbo

Drives: 92 NSX, 08 Accord
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Reminds me of what critics once said about the NSX. They said it was too good to be considered an exotic. That a "real exotic" would require more difficulty to drive. I say BS. ;-)
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
2005 Lotus Elise - (sold but reincarnated by BRZ)
2008 Honda Accord Cpe, Blk/Blk,V6,6 spd, Nav (sold)
2013 Subaru BRZ, Limited, 6 spd Auto, WR Blue
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryude View Post
It just seemed like the car "knew" what to do and no matter what I did, that's what the car did.
Quote:
I need to be able to modulate the power in a corner and not feel like I have no clue what it's doing.
Nice contradiction...
FR-S/GT-86 (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
It depends on the car you're coming from, but I think you are onto something. The FR-S in its stock form is going to be 100x more responsive and connected than 80% of the vehicles out there. My last two cars were a Miata and a highly modified 240sx. Both felt much more connected to my inputs and I felt like I got more feedback from both and 'felt' exactly what each corner of the car was doing at any given moment.

I haven't really pushed the FR-S yet, and there may be a whole world of connectedness closer to its limits. It does have some weird feeling in the chassis that almost feels like the car is transitioning to oversteer - but way before the car would be transitioning. It seems to be just a weird unsettled feeling right before the suspension settles into a corner.

I am sure that feeling can be tuned out and a little more connectedness can be built back into the car with some relatively cheap suspension modifications. It may even just be a case of putting some better tires on there.

I love the car even in its stock form and don't regret the purchase.

-Justin
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The FR-S is pleasant and easy to drive up until you approach the limit. Once you get there, it is utterly merciless and will rapidly produce oversteer if you do things wrong. If you leave the nannies on, they will bitch at you and cut the power, but with them off? Watch out.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
ryude

I test drove a MT. I guess the biggest problem is that for me the Miata felt much more like a driver's car. It's just my opinion and I'm not a professional driver so take it with a grain of salt. I am merely expressing my opinion and wanted to know if what I experienced was indicative of the real FR-S.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
Stu baru
Official Cobb beer knurd

Drives: 2013 BRZ-L MT SWP
Reminds me of the member here that posted the youtube review video about why he wasn't thrilled with his BRZ...that there was no drama. I guess we all have to decide what's best for each of us, what works and why, and what doesn't. For me, I feel connected to the road in ways I've not experienced before...because the car is so well designed. Precision is a good thing, IMO. Still, if you're looking for something that requires more work to control, I say look elsewhere and avoid the annoyance. Good luck regardless.
Stu baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Capstan

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
I test drove a MT. I guess the biggest problem is that for me the Miata felt much more like a driver's car. It's just my opinion and I'm not a professional driver so take it with a grain of salt. I am merely expressing my opinion and wanted to know if what I experienced was indicative of the real FR-S.
Did you try it in all of the VSC modes? There is normal, sport, and off.

Having driven a Miata as well, I didn't find that it handles nearly as well. As you say, its all subjective of course.
Capstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
xpicer

Drives: 2013 frs white out
Cool

not to diss anyone, but if the car is so easy to drive then none should have encountered accidents in the conditions they did
xpicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Nepenthe

Drives: 2013 Argento Silver Automatic FR-S
It's not as connected as my old RX-7 was. That car felt immediate in every way. No power steering, cable throttle, monster brakes with super feel, unbelievably supple but mechanical shifter...

But the FR-S is a lot more connected than my previous '07 Si Couple was. Rev hang, throttle lag, soft brakes, nose-heavy, fwd, rolled over like a dog. For what is basically an economy car (just like the Si), the FR-S is really decent.

And the Si was way more connected than the rental I have for the week -- a brand new 4 cyl auto Chevy Malibu.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Already been mentioned, but I agree - if you haven't already, test drive a manual and turn off the nannies.

If you still think the car does everything you want it to do without you having to micromanage the experience, then I would humbly suggest that you have "connected" with the car and you're actually looking for a different kind of connection.

Not an attack on you, but some drivers want a connection with their vehicle that basically turns the car into an extension of themselves - look into a turn, adjust the steering/brake/throttle, and the car does exactly what you wanted it to do. Some other drives want a connection with their vehicle that requires them to micromanage the car through execution of aggressive turns, much like how some drivers prefer to row the gears on a manual versus letting the auto take care of it for them.

I think you probably fall more into the latter category than the former, but I would argue that you can have both with this car, you just need to push it more aggressively than you might do it on another car, and try it without any of the nannies on.

Good luck!

Edit: and of course, it goes without saying, if you do turn off the nannies and start experimenting with a more aggressive driving style, please don't do this in traffic.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote