follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
bucketfoot
Senior Member
 
bucketfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86
Location: Colorado
Posts: 170
Thanks: 30
Thanked 127 Times in 58 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Long term performance/reliability of FT-86 SpeedFactory UEL Header

I went through the whole thread on the FT-86 SpeedFactory Catted UEL Header and saw comments on shorter term (year or so) performance/reliability, but I'm curious to hear from people who have had this for several years now. I would have asked my question there, but the thread is closed.

I've had my brand new 86 for a little over 3 months now and am starting to look into header options for it.

I guess I'm mostly looking for basic things like have the welds held up over time, has anyone had issues with the Cat and does the shape/routing of the header cause any issues with melting or distorting anything else that is close to it.

A big reason I ask this is that I will likely look at the used market.
__________________
This post sent using 100% recycled electrons.
bucketfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #2
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist
 
KMA KiCKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 288
Thanks: 631
Thanked 386 Times in 164 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
I went through the whole thread on the FT-86 SpeedFactory Catted UEL Header and saw comments on shorter term (year or so) performance/reliability, but I'm curious to hear from people who have had this for several years now. I would have asked my question there, but the thread is closed.

I've had my brand new 86 for a little over 3 months now and am starting to look into header options for it.

I guess I'm mostly looking for basic things like have the welds held up over time, has anyone had issues with the Cat and does the shape/routing of the header cause any issues with melting or distorting anything else that is close to it.

A big reason I ask this is that I will likely look at the used market.
Going on 6+ years with this header and so far so good.

I bought my 86 brand new and installed the header 6 months later.

Welds held up well until last year. I went over a steep speed bump that scraped against my mid-pipe. Somehow it cracked the welds near the cat but I got it fixed at my local shop.

Cat seems to still be intact. I haven't gone under to take a look but based on my cold starts early in the morning, it has been consistent.

Mine did not come with any coating and I haven't seen any blips on my oil temps.

Definitely recommend getting a tune along with the header to get the most out of it. I went with the OFT and if you contact them directly, they do have a specific tune for this exact header.
__________________
- My 2015 Scion FR-S OEM+ Build Thread -

TRD | Brembo | RAYS
KMA KiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #3
jflogerzi
Senior Member
 
jflogerzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Posts: 5,565
Thanks: 2,013
Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,474 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
They are a solid choice. Other good choice is JDL. Which ever option get one thats coated
__________________
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long term CNT header users, how is it? soilent Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 5 02-13-2017 07:00 PM
Long term reliability Jonathanlim Software Tuning 5 02-07-2016 08:26 PM
Stage 1 tune & long term reliability? autobot84 Software Tuning 2 12-31-2014 07:51 AM
Speed Bleeders - long term reliability amram Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 48 05-14-2014 07:32 PM
Forced Induction - is there a long term reliability problem for the 86/BRZ Dazza Forced Induction 32 09-26-2012 12:39 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.