follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New 1st Gen BRZ’s Officially Sold Out in U.S.

Was looking at the sales numbers last month and saw only 19 2020 BRZ’s were sold. Pulled up a Nationwide search and found that there are officially no more new 1st Gen BRZ’s for sale in the U.S.

Note: This is a search function for dealerships only and won’t show sold orders, reserved cars, or demos.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:06 PM   #2
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I’ll let my 2020 go for $58k
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrahmaBull1990 For This Useful Post:
g e (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 11:31 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
my '14 is available as-is to the first person that comes to me with $300,000. without the audio gear, i can do $200,000.

i'm not joking.
BrahmaBull1990 (06-07-2021), HachiRokuX (07-12-2021), Wally86 (07-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 12:32 AM   #4
scotty228

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
insane! end of an era
scotty228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:47 AM   #5
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty228 View Post
insane! end of an era
The new model is not exactly dissimilar. More like gen 1.5.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (07-14-2021), Tcoat (07-13-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:43 PM   #6
Jmk91

Drives: 2017 Brz Performance Package
Honestly the 1st gen definitely looks 20x better than the newest generation. Because of all the chip shortage I doubt the next gen is going to sell very well. The consumer market is so much higher in the RAV4 area than the next gen twins. Thus leading to fewer cars and probably poor selection of aftermarket parts. Hopefully it makes our 1st gens increase in value. They already dominate in sex appeal.
Jmk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jmk91 For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (07-08-2021), HachiRokuX (07-12-2021), Hoahao (07-18-2021), KMA KiCKz (07-09-2021), Tcoat (07-13-2021), Vides990 (07-12-2021), Wally86 (07-13-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmk91 View Post
Honestly the 1st gen definitely looks 20x better than the newest generation. Because of all the chip shortage I doubt the next gen is going to sell very well. The consumer market is so much higher in the RAV4 area than the next gen twins. Thus leading to fewer cars and probably poor selection of aftermarket parts. Hopefully it makes our 1st gens increase in value. They already dominate in sex appeal.

Besides just generally disagreeing with your point - I think the next gens are better looking than first gens namely due to the actual wheel vents (while eliminating the fake side vents) - I am trying to understand what you are saying.

What does chip shortage (temporary, btw) have to do with the demand for a car that isn't going to begin to become available for another 2-3 months?

Second, not sure what your second point means either - not sure what the "RAV4" area is but I don't think the demand vis-a-vis the twins has changed at all in the last 4-5 years.

As for total numbers, I expect them to be more or less consistent (after an early new model push) with what the twins has been over the years. I expect the aftermarket parts for those cars to be similar for ours but that we shouldn't expect to see new stuff for our cars (and a dwindling supply of existing parts) over the next few years.

Finally, hate to tell you, but if anything, the next gen twins have made our cars less, not more, valuable (of course, they weren't worth much on the used market anyhow so there isn't that much of a hit to take).
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (07-12-2021), jcw99 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 07:36 PM   #8
Jmk91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
Besides just generally disagreeing with your point - I think the next gens are better looking than first gens namely due to the actual wheel vents (while eliminating the fake side vents) - I am trying to understand what you are saying.

What does chip shortage (temporary, btw) have to do with the demand for a car that isn't going to begin to become available for another 2-3 months?

Second, not sure what your second point means either - not sure what the "RAV4" area is but I don't think the demand vis-a-vis the twins has changed at all in the last 4-5 years.

As for total numbers, I expect them to be more or less consistent (after an early new model push) with what the twins has been over the years. I expect the aftermarket parts for those cars to be similar for ours but that we shouldn't expect to see new stuff for our cars (and a dwindling supply of existing parts) over the next few years.

Finally, hate to tell you, but if anything, the next gen twins have made our cars less, not more, valuable (of course, they weren't worth much on the used market anyhow so there isn't that much of a hit to take).

Hey beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people like 450 pound females, others like average and some like skinny. Personally I find the second generation rather ugly, I honestly believe more people agree with that than disagree.

Less chips means overall less cars will be produced. Let’s use a RAV4 for an example. What is going to sell quicker, a RAV4 or a twin? Last year plenty of left over 2020 models where still on the lot. How many rav4s? So with a chip shortage it makes the most logical sense to produce the cars that are going to sell faster. I’m sure there will be some twins available but it won’t be as many as previously. Only time will tell, I could be wrong but end of the day makes sense to produce a car that will sell quicker.

As for total numbers I’m sure the first year will sell decently than decline after. Look at the all time best selling roadsters numbers the good old Miata.They are on a decline year after year. I would be highly shocked if the first year numbers of the new generation twins reach the first year of the original twins.

Also, our cars actually are worth a decent penny on the used market currently. Check out cargurus and look for yourself on what they are actually selling for. My car books 24k. Also they haven’t made the first gen worth less yet. I’ll use the Miata for an example. A clean NA will always be more than a clean NB. The NB is the better car overall in every way possible but everyone wants the NA… So you can’t really say it automatically made our cars worthless. Only time will tell but seeing how the second generation looks like an abomination I think thr 1st gens will or could increase in years to come especially with all the kids wrecking them day after day.

Either way my guy we all have our opinion and I was expressing mine. You don’t have to see it the way I do. I’m not here to judge. We are both speculating at this point. Time will tell and we will see how well it sells. From the reaction of many others I don’t think it’ll do so well. It’s basically a more rigid rwd Honda Accord looking Subaru with a 30k price tag.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jmk91 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (07-14-2021), Tcoat (07-13-2021), Vides990 (07-12-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #9
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Hey beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people like 450 pound females, others like average and some like skinny. Personally I find the second generation rather ugly, I honestly believe more people agree with that than disagree.

Less chips means overall less cars will be produced. Let’s use a RAV4 for an example. What is going to sell quicker, a RAV4 or a twin? Last year plenty of left over 2020 models where still on the lot. How many rav4s? So with a chip shortage it makes the most logical sense to produce the cars that are going to sell faster. I’m sure there will be some twins available but it won’t be as many as previously. Only time will tell, I could be wrong but end of the day makes sense to produce a car that will sell quicker.

As for total numbers I’m sure the first year will sell decently than decline after. Look at the all time best selling roadsters numbers the good old Miata.They are on a decline year after year. I would be highly shocked if the first year numbers of the new generation twins reach the first year of the original twins.

Also, our cars actually are worth a decent penny on the used market currently. Check out cargurus and look for yourself on what they are actually selling for. My car books 24k. Also they haven’t made the first gen worth less yet. I’ll use the Miata for an example. A clean NA will always be more than a clean NB. The NB is the better car overall in every way possible but everyone wants the NA… So you can’t really say it automatically made our cars worthless. Only time will tell but seeing how the second generation looks like an abomination I think thr 1st gens will or could increase in years to come especially with all the kids wrecking them day after day.

Either way my guy we all have our opinion and I was expressing mine. You don’t have to see it the way I do. I’m not here to judge. We are both speculating at this point. Time will tell and we will see how well it sells. From the reaction of many others I don’t think it’ll do so well. It’s basically a more rigid rwd Honda Accord looking Subaru with a 30k price tag.
Agreed on both having our opinions. But just because everyone can have different opinions, it doesn't mean everyone's opinions have equal validity.

As for looks, I seriously disagree with both your opinion and your opinion on general consensus (read some of the magazine reviews - not fanboi takes on a website where everyone owns first gens). But that's the one area where we can agree to disagree.

Your "chip shortage" argument makes less sense now that you explain it. It has nothing to do with demand. And believe me, Subaru/Toyota will be able to secure enough chips to meet whatever the demand is for the second gen. regardless of what the news is telling you about an alleged "chip shortage."

I will be curious as to how first year sales of second generation does. First, not sure you can compare 2013 to 2021 as to overall sales because the market HAS changed (although not, in my opinion, to the "RAV4" market - a car I see on the street almost as infrequently as I see a first gen. twin). However, happy to do a $5 bet that the second gen sales are considerably stronger than the first gen sales the last few years and that the overall rate the first 5 years of second gen is better than the last 5 rate of the first gen. But in general, I expect sales to be very similar between first gen and second gen, namely because they are very similar cars, at a very similar price point, selling to a changing, but slowly, very similar market.

Speaking of markets, if you base your opinion on what your car is worth upon what CarGurus says it is worth, there is your problem right there. Dude - you have a 2017 model of a car that was selling new 5 months ago for 28k.
There is NO WAY you are getting 24k for your car, don't think you could get 19k - just sayin'. And I hate to tell you, as soon as second gens become available, first gens will become less valuable (given the significant upgrades pretty much all around on the second gens). If I could stand the hit, I would probably be one of first in-line to trade up to a second gen. Multiple things will prevent me from doing so (don't want an early model, want to wait for aftermarket to start offering upgrades I would want, don't want to lose the value of all the upgrades I have already done, etc.).

It's also weird you would refer to the second gen as an "abomination", given how similar the cars actually look. I said I prefer the look of the new car for one reason (although I forgot to mention the sideskirts - which I also love). I think the front end and tail isn't any better or any worse (you can have legitimate opinions as to style of spoiler you prefer). Regardless, I think it would be hard for any rational human to look at one and say it is beautiful and look at the other and call it an "abomination."

Frankly, your whole post sounds like that of a disgruntled fanboi whose hot girlfriend just left him and is trying to convince himself (and the rest of the world) that she was actually ugly, not that good and that you are better off without her.

Last edited by CincyJohn; 07-13-2021 at 11:00 AM.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Agreed on both having our opinions. But just because everyone can have different opinions, it doesn't mean everyone's opinions have equal validity.

As for looks, I seriously disagree with both your opinion and your opinion on general consensus (read some of the magazine reviews - not fanboi takes on a website where everyone owns first gens). But that's the one area where we can agree to disagree.

Your "chip shortage" argument makes less sense now that you explain it. It has nothing to do with demand. And believe me, Subaru/Toyota will be able to secure enough chips to meet whatever the demand is for the second gen. regardless of what the news is telling you about an alleged "chip shortage."

I will be curious as to how first year sales of second generation does. First, not sure you can compare 2013 to 2021 as to overall sales because the market HAS changed (although not, in my opinion, to the "RAV4" market - a car I see on the street almost as infrequently as I see a first gen. twin). However, happy to do a $5 bet that the second gen sales are considerably stronger than the first gen sales the last few years and that the overall rate the first 5 years of second gen is better than the last 5 rate of the first gen. But in general, I expect sales to be very similar between first gen and second gen, namely because they are very similar cars, at a very similar price point, selling to a changing, but slowly, very similar market.

Speaking of markets, if you base your opinion on what your car is worth upon what CarGurus says it is worth, there is your problem right there. Dude - you have a 2017 model of a car that was selling new 5 months ago for 28k.
There is NO WAY you are getting 24k for your car, don't think you could get 19k - just sayin'. And I hate to tell you, as soon as second gens become available, first gens will become less valuable (given the significant upgrades pretty much all around on the second gens). If I could stand the hit, I would probably be one of first in-line to trade up to a second gen. Multiple things will prevent me from doing so (don't want an early model, want to wait for aftermarket to start offering upgrades I would want, don't want to lose the value of all the upgrades I have already done, etc.).

It's also weird you would refer to the second gen as an "abomination", given how similar the cars actually look. I said I prefer the look of the new car for one reason (although I forgot to mention the sideskirts - which I also love). I think the front end and tail isn't any better or any worse (you can have legitimate opinions as to style of spoiler you prefer). Regardless, I think it would be hard for any rational human to look at one and say it is beautiful and look at the other and call it an "abomination."

Frankly, your whole post sounds like that of a disgruntled fanboi whose hot girlfriend just left him and is trying to convince himself (and the rest of the world) that she was actually ugly, not that good and that you are better off without her.
All opinions are equally valid that is what makes them opinions rather than facts.

They could have put "functional" vents on without making the front fenders look like a 1930s art deco bank and running boards went out of fashion on passenger cars in the 1940s.

The chip shortage is real. It is not some made up problem. It has had a major impact on the plants I work in. Subaru has shut down production at least 3 times due to it so not sure how you think they have plenty. This will impact what they have and will make for quite some time yet and the higher sellers will take priority.

The market for the first gen is way high right now. Cars are easily going for 30% more than they did just a year ago. This is not hard info to find. Comparing the first release sales of a second gen to the last year release of the first is a fools game. The improvements are nice and all but they are not that major to create massive demand.

There are loads of people that think that the second gen is an abomination. They just get shouted down by a crowd that probably can't afford a new car anyway as soon as they say anything bad. The reviews are mostly biased since the reviewers were pretty much hand picked to be the first to drive the thing. We won't see accurate independent reviews for some time yet.

You sound like a pretentious fanboi that feels he know more than he really does because he reads the clickbaits and believes the marketing hype.
Hoahao (07-18-2021), Jmk91 (07-13-2021), ripper (07-15-2021), Vides990 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #11
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
There is NO WAY you are getting 24k for your car, don't think you could get 19k - just sayin'. And I hate to tell you,

No dog in the fight however-

Last weekend I just sold my 2013 BRZ to Carmax with 35k miles, with a CEL... to which it will need a full head rebuild (has bent valves.) for 17k.

Right now, they have a few 2020 and 2018 tS models listed for 36k with on cars with less than 15k on the ODO's. So it isn't that far fetched of an idea.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (07-14-2021), Jmk91 (07-13-2021), Ultramaroon (07-15-2021), Vides990 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #12
Jmk91

Quote:

Dear lord my guy… You voted for Bidden didn’t you? Just seem like that type. My car is a 18 with 5600 miles. The 17 was my previous car I just didn’t update information. Also I actually fibbed the trade in value on my car is 25k and private party is 25-27k. I’ll do you a solid and upload the kbb for you. Would you like to see what carvana is offering too? Learn the market… Chip shortage is real… it’s driving the used car market up and up.

Also cargurus is a good website to explore the market on a car. It uses book values to tell you if it’s a good deal or over priced etc. If you don’t actively follow the market it does some of the work for you.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:02 PM   #13
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Dear lord my guy… You voted for Bidden didn’t you? Just seem like that type.

ok, i'm confused. what does voting record do other than poorly insult the other person you're talking to? have you successfully convinced people to see things your way by calling them a poopyface in the past?

and how did a a simple 3 posts turn into a quickly devolving example of godwin's law?
Old 07-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #14
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote