|
||||||
| Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2020
Drives: JDL Turbo Twin
Location: Spooly Town
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Coolant
Hey guys,
What type of coolant do you run? I have a JDL turbo 86 and I just used "Peak" brand coolant for "asian vehicles", its blue, I don't know about the FA motors but my buddy with an EJ207 wrx told me he's going to use Subaru's Coolant because he's heard other coolants can eat away at head gaskets. Just curious if anyone has more insight on this. |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Rust bucket enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
|
I have several jugs of coolant from the Toyota dealership. I stick with OEM coolant, but mostly because I don't know what would work best, so I leave that judgment in the hands of the OEM.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Quote:
![]() To be safe, I suggest you stick with the OEM blue stuff. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 219
Thanks: 63
Thanked 142 Times in 70 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
|
OEM is most of the time the way to go regarding coolant. My previous vehicle was highly modified and it still had the original coolant running at perfect engine temperature. What you used is probably similar, but double check to be on the safe side.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
pessimistic skeptic
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,786
Thanks: 1,713
Thanked 1,054 Times in 694 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
|
I used Zerex blue when I replaced the radiator with JR dual radiator oil cooler. I was using Pentofrost A3 before that. They both work fine and compatible to mix with stock coolant.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| How is it possible to lose coolant, if the coolant system in a car is a closed loop, | ghostzfh | Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) | 14 | 09-12-2020 01:09 AM |
| Coolant level dropping & Dirty coolant | redwine | Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) | 44 | 09-30-2018 08:37 PM |
| Coolant loss - Void Warranty/ Edit: coolant flush question | BRZach | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 15 | 01-02-2016 08:21 PM |
| Turbo coolant lines GTX2867. Can I use the throttle body coolant lines? | mike the snake | Forced Induction | 8 | 04-01-2014 05:56 PM |
| Where did my coolant go? | ZionsWrath | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 1 | 11-02-2013 11:46 AM |