follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Brooklyn

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake pad shim broken/rusted through

Hi all, so my '14 BRZ (127xxxkm, 79xxx mi) lately has been making intermittent squeaking noises while braking, and also when I'm not braking. When I do brake i can hear some sort of grinding, seemingly more toward the rear wheels. I'm thinking, I don't go hard on the brakes, don't drive the car hard often, no rally cross or anything - so how could my brake pads be done?

So I decide to check on the rear brake pads and what do I see...
- so much rust in general
- rust between the metal shim/backplate of the brake pad with the imprint of caliper piston/cylinder
- when i go to try and adjust the shim/backplate, its rusted through and then actually fell apart after

So now, i put the caliper back together with my wheel, without the shim/backplate between the caliper cylinder and the brake pad.

Questions:
- anybody encounter this before?
- I assume it'd be safer not to drive the car for now, any idea if you can buy the shim or do I need new brakepads?
- also, wtf?

Thanks

Pics:

https://imgur.com/oyVACYf

https://imgur.com/vCYI743

https://imgur.com/klSy3Bo

https://imgur.com/KEPEMsk
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,381 Times in 7,414 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
The shim just helps reduces noise. They are not actually needed, I don't run them on my car.
Brooklyn (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 11:12 PM   #3
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,158 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Not absolutely required. They're a vibration damper to help with squealing. Some lube on the same spot can help with this too.

A drill with a wire brush would do a good job cleaning some of that rust up.

The rotors look like they have seen better days. Rockauto has some good cheap stuff like centric blanks. Around $46 per.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Brooklyn (04-06-2020)