follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
treerexaudi Official

Drives: Hachi n' BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Weird shifting? Maybe? Please tell me I am wrong.

I will try to keep this as short as possible, and sorry in advance if I may have put this under the wrong forum category. I own a 2018 BRZ with the performance package. It was bought new with some minor things which of one was fixed by the dealer that I can state if need be, but they are merely cosmetic. Main point, bought new with only 50 miles. While shifting this car like most of the variants it seems to not want to go into first or second when cold or warmed up. But here is the thing. Whenever I shift into third, and sometimes second or fourth, the car wants to hesitate, and rocks back and fourth, and after the 4th time rocking back and fourth it starts to go smoothly again, but by then I am already going to shift into the next gear. I have taken others advice about slipping the clutch. Which I myself thought was VERY VERY BAD for the transmission and clutch plates, but the argument of using up brakes and replacing them like a clutch gets brought up. I will add that I have a 30 year old corolla, and it is stick like the brz, and I can bang the clutch in and out, shift fast and everything is smooth. (Yes if I mess up it isn't of course). There is simply no way to shift fast or let the clutch out slowly and smoothly in the BRZ however (with rev matching or even double clutching). It stills is rough in 1st and 2nd no matter what and quite frequently it rocks back and fourth a couple of times like hesitating when shifting into 2nd 3rd or 4th. I would also like to add I have never slipped the clutch between shifts until I acquired the BRZ. Going from a stop to 1st is one thing, but slipping the clutch between every gear just to get it to be smooth.

This has nothing to do with all that I guess, but if anyone here has an ft86z with a brembo or a big brake kit, it is hard to heel toe downshift? Whenever I touch the brakes as light as possible the car seems to want to come to a halt, and I just have to coast in neutral, or I would have to be downshifting through three gears extremely fast (to fast for the abilities that I currently have, I don't want to break something).
treerexaudi Official is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think u ll just need to drive it more.
ermax (03-28-2019), HKz (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,134 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
all normal. clunky when cold. your trans/clutch also needs time to break in. shifting gates can be finicky since they are rather small. my shifter started feeling perfect after at least 10-15 K miles and now I have no problems shifting fast but of course I gotta wait until it warms up. compared to your corolla, modern clutches have a clutch delay valve and the shifter assembly is a bit different, it aint going to feel the same. either way, just remember they went with an aisin trans meant for low torque and high feel, refinement was not a priority on this platform.

as for downshifting, I'm not sure what you're referring to and I hope you know that ya can skip gears, I rev match from 5 to 3 often when coming off the highway..as stated above, ya probably just could use more practice
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Spuds (03-28-2019), Ultramaroon (03-29-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,463 Times in 6,166 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
+1 to don't slip the clutch and drive it more. It took my transmission a few thousand miles to wear in too. IMO the car is easier to drive aggressively than sedately if that helps. Give it a bit to warm up, then show it who's boss.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
The PP has nothing to do with anything, it's all the same engine and tranny.
As for your problems, it's just you have to get used to the odd ball shift point.

It was the same for me when I got mine. I question my shifting technique because my MR2 was smooth and butter even when banging it fast.

Just keep driving it and eventually you'll feel the right shift point. Also helps to rev match up shits if that makes senses. But I noticed this car likes it when you give it more gas while shifting.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Take it to the dealer and have someone else drive it with you in the car. If they are smooth you need work if they have the same problem have them fixit.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
AJ32162

Drives: 2019 BRZ with Performance Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
Take it to the dealer and have someone else drive it with you in the car. If they are smooth you need work if they have the same problem have them fixit.
Or the OP might want to have another manual shift BRZ/FR-S/Toyota 86 owner drive it with him in the car and see what he has to say.
AJ32162 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AJ32162 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Weird shifting? Maybe? Please tell me I am wrong.

You say you have a 30yo Corolla but have you owned any manuals with DBW?

Old manuals are much easier to drive smooth. The lag from DBW makes timing a smooth shift a challenge. My first DBW car was an IS300 which has TONS of lag. That car was hard to shift smooth even after owning it for many years. I also owned a G35 sedan (hated this car) which also had incredibly laggy DBW. I remember when I was selling it a guy was test driving and stalled over and over. I told him not to feel bad that it’s hard to drive. It’s hard to notice any DBW lag in the Twins but it’s still there and adds to the challenge. The clutch is also like a switch which doesn’t help. Hang in there, you will master it.

BTW, you can swap the slave cylinder for a smaller one which helps a lot with the pedal feel. I think I paid $35 for mine and it’s a 5 min job to install.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:13 AM   #9
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
i would say its not the most forgiving car to drive when it comes to shifting. but sounds like you need to figure out how fast you're shifting depending on how high your rpms are.

the 1st and 2nd gear thing is never going away but it should smooth out a bit over time.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:01 AM   #10
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Also the 4.3 gearing is more aggressive in the 17+.

I feel more of a "punch" between shifts compared to my '13's 4.1.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #11
treerexaudi Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
+1 to don't slip the clutch and drive it more. It took my transmission a few thousand miles to wear in too. IMO the car is easier to drive aggressively than sedately if that helps. Give it a bit to warm up, then show it who's boss.
Thanks for the advice, and I myself really don't want to slip the clutch but for now it seems like it is the only way to obtain a smooth shift. The sad part is most people actually recommend this as well, but now I know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
The PP has nothing to do with anything, it's all the same engine and tranny.
As for your problems, it's just you have to get used to the odd ball shift point.

It was the same for me when I got mine. I question my shifting technique because my MR2 was smooth and butter even when banging it fast.

Just keep driving it and eventually you'll feel the right shift point. Also helps to rev match up shits if that makes senses. But I noticed this car likes it when you give it more gas while shifting.
Thank you for your response, but I mentioned Performance Package because the brakes on the car are extremely grabby even for a lightweight vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ32162 View Post
Or the OP might want to have another manual shift BRZ/FR-S/Toyota 86 owner drive it with him in the car and see what he has to say.
I may try to do this when I can, a dealer and an owner of his own would both be great places t start. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
You say you have a 30yo Corolla but have you owned any manuals with DBW?

Old manuals are much easier to drive smooth. The lag from DBW makes timing a smooth shift a challenge. My first DBW car was an IS300 which has TONS of lag. That car was hard to shift smooth even after owning it for many years. I also owned a G35 sedan (hated this car) which also had incredibly laggy DBW. I remember when I was selling it a guy was test driving and stalled over and over. I told him not to feel bad that it’s hard to drive. It’s hard to notice any DBW lag in the Twins but it’s still there and adds to the challenge. The clutch is also like a switch which doesn’t help. Hang in there, you will master it.

BTW, you can swap the slave cylinder for a smaller one which helps a lot with the pedal feel. I think I paid $35 for mine and it’s a 5 min job to install.
I am very happy to have you reply as I learned something new today! I have no idea what Drive by Wire is, but after searching it up I only seem to find groups of angry enthusiasts complaining about lagging and un responsive throttle, and maybe the fact it might be more expensive to produce? Is there a reason why most companies are starting to use these new technologies as they don't seem to be very proficient which is kind of odd for newer cars to be called innovated when they have parts that aren't as great.

Furthermore I thank you all for your replies, and am overjoyed to have you all trying to help me out when I myself was seeking answers. Thanks again and any new replies and past experiences are certainly welcome!
Old 03-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #12
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerexaudi Official View Post
I am very happy to have you reply as I learned something new today! I have no idea what Drive by Wire is, but after searching it up I only seem to find groups of angry enthusiasts complaining about lagging and un responsive throttle, and maybe the fact it might be more expensive to produce? Is there a reason why most companies are starting to use these new technologies as they don't seem to be very proficient which is kind of odd for newer cars to be called innovated when they have parts that aren't as great.

Furthermore I thank you all for your replies, and am overjoyed to have you all trying to help me out when I myself was seeking answers. Thanks again and any new replies and past experiences are certainly welcome!
Drive by wire is for traction control. If the wheels start to slip the car can back off without you lifting. Helps with packaging to a degree, no cables to deal with.

Drive by wire has been around for 30 or 40 years. The lag is there, but it is much better than it used to be. I notice it most trying to rev match on down shifts, a quick stab doesn't always produce any throttle response. Almost like the accelerator pump is out.

Cars are much much safer than they were 30 years ago. Drive by wire is part of that.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-30-2019), soundman98 (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #13
treerexaudi Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Drive by wire is for traction control. If the wheels start to slip the car can back off without you lifting. Helps with packaging to a degree, no cables to deal with.

Drive by wire has been around for 30 or 40 years. The lag is there, but it is much better than it used to be. I notice it most trying to rev match on down shifts, a quick stab doesn't always produce any throttle response. Almost like the accelerator pump is out.

Cars are much much safer than they were 30 years ago. Drive by wire is part of that.
Ah, that makes some more sense, thank you.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,599 Times in 18,972 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Transmission is super notchy for at least 10 Kmi but once the blocking rings lap together, it shift's beautifully.

The lack of clutch feel is bullshit. Might as well stuff a blanket in the foot well. :/

Ermax is on point even though he's exaggerating about the swap taking 5 mins.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77390