|
||||||
| Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 458
Thanks: 162
Thanked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
|
Clutch problems?
I checked my fluids and none of them are extremely low to cause any issues. I started driving today and my clutch seems very loose and changing gears doesn't grab like it should. All symptoms are similar to low brake/clutch fluid but as my fluids are good levels, I don't think that's the issue. I found a similar thread with the exact same issue to the noise and everything. Can anyone help me? I gotta drive back an hour later and would hate to be stuck on the road. At one point of the drive I could barely get it into first and if i did it wouldn't grab and I would have to gas it more than I usually do.
Could be pressure plate or some clutch issues too? I'd hate for that to be the problem as there's only 53k miles on it. Right now I'm thinking it's the throw out bearing as I've heard its a common issue with this car. Here's the thread with similar issues, down to the squeaking noise too: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128510 Last edited by uEih; 03-09-2019 at 07:59 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Badass Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Location: Near Detroit Zoo
Posts: 342
Thanks: 60
Thanked 68 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
|
sometimes a simple issue becomes big when you over think it.
Its your clutch going bad. Its slipping. Replace it. 53k is showing age on the clutch. might as well replace throw out bearing. |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Quote:
* are you the first owner? * is the clutch the original clutch? * do you have any power mods? The first thing I would do, is to (or have done) is to replace the clutch fluid and bleed the system. Next, check the adjustment on the clutch. Then do a simple test: set the emergency brake, rev up to 3,000 rpms, slowly let the clutch out. If the engine is killed, your clutch still has some life, if the engine doesn't die, something (clutch, pressure plate or flywheel is warn out). As you mentioned, if the clutch is howling at you, most likely the TOB is warn and needs to be replaced. IF that's the case, you might as well replace the clutch and pressure plate while it's opened up. Oh yes, and lubricate the clutch fork. I hope you get it settled down. humfrz |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 | |
|
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2019
Drives: almost stock brz 2012 made
Location: Australia
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 458
Thanks: 162
Thanked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
|
Thanks, I didn't think it was a bad clutch since there's not that many miles on it. After eliminating some possibilities I took it in and it was the throwout bearing. Clutch was fine. I got it fixed and for a part that costs under $100 it was an expensive fix. Unfortunate that subaru didn't use good parts for that, hoping there will be some sort of recall soon about this as it's a very common problem not just for BRZs.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 458
Thanks: 162
Thanked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Clutch spring delete problems | MG86 | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 11 | 07-20-2020 03:19 PM |
| FR-S Extreme Clutch Problems | Japanese_Carbon | Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB | 19 | 03-07-2020 02:34 PM |
| Clutch problems please help | MelvinKennyG | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 48 | 09-14-2016 07:32 PM |
| New Clutch Job, New Problems... | RUEN_86 | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 4 | 12-28-2015 05:13 PM |
| Problems with FX400 full-disk clutch after shady install... ***Help?*** | Argento_FR-S | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 4 | 05-29-2013 02:29 AM |